Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2 and half month old GR,Zach,has been with us for 3 weeks,and i have been very patient with his toilet habits and have pampered him a lot.He sleeps in our bedroom(either on his bed or floor) and has been really good till now. He usually paws, whimpers and wakes us up if he has to pee or poop (which he prefers to do outside the bedroom. He never pees anywhere close to his bed or toys!) Since we live in an apartment we have been trying our best to toilet train him as soon as possible.

We have tried taking him to the bathroom during his business hours,but doesn;t seem to work,as he loves doing it where we are present.

He has also started jumping on our bed to play with us,which we never discouraged and today morning he crossed his limits. He was in a playful mood to which we responded for a good 10 mins, after which we got busy with our laptops. He then suddenly jumped back on the bed and quickly peed on our quilt. This has got me really freaked me out and wondering where we went wrong.Was this his way to rebel,since we did not pay attention to him?

Would request you all experienced owners to guide me in toilet training him and also how long does it take for pups to understand what they are doing is wrong? Is he too young to be trained?

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
A 2 month old puppy needs to go out about every half hour during the day, do you have a crate for the night time?
Did you take him out before he peed on you're bed? He really is to young to know any better, I had to crab Chloe every morning and take her out first thing or she wouldn't of made it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx for the quick response. No, we dont crate him in the night as he does not pee or poop in the bedroom. Yes we did take him out much before that. In fact he even took a long pee outside just minutes before. Guess I'll tk ur cue Claudia n make it a habit of taking him to the loo every half hour. Cheers.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Pups at that age need to go out often, painfully so! Take our pup out on a leash when he wakes up, when he stops playing or every 30 minutes (except when sleeping) Praise big time when he potties outside. The idea is to get him to associate the feeling of grass under his feet as what he needs to go. It is a lot of work when they are young but they learn fast and before long you will have a reliable pup.

·
Grahams Daddy
15 Posts
My pup Graham is 2 months old as well. I am doing the small treat once he pees / poops outside, but he will let it go anywhere in the house too.
How long can we expect for this process to take? I know dogs are different, but a good round about number of months would be good info.

Thanks for any help, and sorry....didnt mean to hijack the thread from the original poster.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are most welcome Martin :)
To take this conversation ahead,yesterday i met up with his vet too and discussed this.He asked us to be patient for little more time as he is too young to understand things.Apparantly, after 3 months of age they start understanding and by the time they are 4-5months,they get toilet trained,though occasionaly accidents will happen.
As mentioned above by Oaklys dad,they are definitely intelligent breed and fast learners,so i am continuing to be patient and keep cleaning every now and then :0

Another tip i learnt yesterday - Every time he pees in the house and when we use newspaper to soak it,take the same paper in the area you want him to use and make him smell and they will start associating that place as their business place.This is how a friend of mine taught her pup,though accidents do happen but very rare.

Hope our darling puppies learn it soon :))

Do continue sharing any more tips you come across. Good luck

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Crates are extremely useful tools for training. I don't know how we'd get by without ours. An 8-week-old pup needs to be taken out every couple of hours or so during the day, sometimes more. They can usually make it 5-6 hours at night. Young puppies need to be taken out very shortly after eating, drinking, playing, and waking up from a nap. Their bowels and bladders are just so small at that age. It is really best to have a crate to use at night and whenever the pup has to be home alone or you are too busy to keep an eye on him. Your pup will be totally safe in a crate at all times. He definitely will not like the crate immediately. It will take a few days for him to get used to it and he will cry and howl and act like he is being tortured his first few times in the crate, but you just have to ignore it. Most pups grow to love their crates and think of it as their den.

One other thing is that using newspaper in the house will teach that pup that going potty in the house is okay to do, which it's not. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts