Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kaizer and I had a great time practicing some "social distancing" with a friend today at an MD state park. We spent 3 hours getting lost and finding our way back to my car. I don't usually go to this park as it's out of my way if I have classes (both academic and dog training lol), so I wasn't too sure how Kaizer would do off-leash with more people, dogs, horses, and birds around (we go to a much quieter park usually). Thankfully, he was a little superstar! Stayed next to me unless released, didn't wander to say hi to passing people, didn't even flinch at the horses, and thankfully didn't chase any birds. It shouldn't surprise me that he's decently well behaved at almost 5, especially since I did put work into it, but somehow it always does. He is such a good boy.

A video of his recall: Kaizer recall 03.15.20 he lost us and started going the wrong way (i'm assuming he was going to where he last saw us?)

Pic #1: Staying with me even though he doesn't have to. I pay him very well for this behavior. He always has a harness on when he's off leash cause I feel like he's safer if he gets stuck (which may or may not be true).

Pic #2: His favorite thing is to go ahead of me, find some water, and sit and wait for me to catch up. He is an absolute water dog.

Pic #3: Asked him to pose for a picture (it was SO nice out!) and he got distracted by some birds.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kaizer is a good handsome boy. He looks very pleased in that stream. Impressive that he wasn't phased by the horses.
He's such a good boy. I feel so genuinely lucky to be able to spend my days with him. He's seen horses since he was 7-8 months old and my training place has a set-up at one of the local horse events every year, so he's used to horses.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kaizer and I had another good day of getting dirty! This time we went on a walk with some friends to a local state park. It was surprisingly busy, so the dogs had to stay on leash. Of course, all the dogs got some off-leash time in the creek! There were 4 dogs total, but of course I mainly took videos.

I found a tick on Kaizer today, over 24 hours after we left the park. I feel so bad, the tick was huge. Thankfully not a deer tick. I'm keeping an eye on the bite and on Kaizer's behavior and hoping we won't have any TBD symptoms. I usually don't start him back on his preventative until April, but I totally should have with the unusually warm winter we had - hindsight is 20/20! I also wanted to start him back on an oral meds and have been meaning to call my vet about it.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Looks like another fun day. There's always something to worry about, isn't there? Hopefully the tick bite won't cause any problems but keep it n mind for several months just in case anything weird shows up.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like another fun day. There's always something to worry about, isn't there? Hopefully the tick bite won't cause any problems but keep it n mind for several months just in case anything weird shows up.
For sure! It's totally my fault though, I should have known that warmer weather = tick season. I have to wait until Monday too to get the oral. A topical gets wiped off as soon as I put it on - he rolls or finds water to sit in. Hopefully the weekend will blow by!

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today's hike! Thankfully, dogs could be off-leash. We're taking as much advantage of the current state of affairs as we possibly can - all 4 of us can rarely go out at the same time. Very glad to have some great friends to explore the outdoors with!

1 + 2. Goldens in the river! Their favorite place to be.
3. Kaizer in a very nice (unasked for) heel next to my friend. I rarely ask him to heel on that side.
4. All 6 dogs! Golden row - Rosie, Kaizer, and Holly. Border Collie row - Morgan, Liz, and Kas. They were all looking at different cameras LOL.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you! Yes, I'm very lucky to live where I do. Lots of beautiful places to explore!

Took a 3.5 mile hike yesterday with some friends. I wish I remembered to take a group picture! There were 8 dogs. We're going on another hike later this afternoon, not sure how many dogs yet. Hopefully I'll remember to take pictures!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts