Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21,054 Posts
ewwwww....a tick.....
The reason we use Vectra3D is that it repels ticks before they attach. There's been some news on the retriever training forum that there's a new collar coming out that's more effective than any of the spot on treatments, and lasts for 8 months. It's made by Bayer, and is supposed to be out in early 2013. Sign me up for one!
Tito got Lyme, too, even though we use Vectra and I've not actually found any ticks on him.
ewwww.....
Check yourself, too. The little bugstards jump off the dog and climb up onto your head.....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
im totally checking that collar out thanks a lot guys, Im going to call my vet tomorrow and see what they say.
if I see these ticks i should be getting her lyme vaccine right?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
ewwwww....a tick.....
The reason we use Vectra3D is that it repels ticks before they attach. There's been some news on the retriever training forum that there's a new collar coming out that's more effective than any of the spot on treatments, and lasts for 8 months. It's made by Bayer, and is supposed to be out in early 2013. Sign me up for one!
Tito got Lyme, too, even though we use Vectra and I've not actually found any ticks on him.
ewwww.....
Check yourself, too. The little bugstards jump off the dog and climb up onto your head.....

That collar is already out, my vet carries them, but doesn't have a very high opinion of them.

·
and Luvtazz too
509 Posts
I live in a very high Lyme disease area...both of my neighbors have the disease. Signs posted in the game lands warning about ticks. I use Vectra with good results.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I live in a very high Lyme disease area...both of my neighbors have the disease. Signs posted in the game lands warning about ticks. I use Vectra with good results.
i did hear about the vectra but my vet stopped carrying them because of the reactions some of the pets had. and i did gave her frontline since the breeder said so, she has been breeding for 35 years, and she lives inside the woods actually.

·
<><><><><>
2,639 Posts
I'm going to give Vectra a serious look. If it actually stops ticks from attaching, why did my vet recommend Frontline? She hadn't even had the Lymes vaccination when we did the first application. Why would you not use the stuff that stops them altogether?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I'm going to give Vectra a serious look. If it actually stops ticks from attaching, why did my vet recommend Frontline? She hadn't even had the Lymes vaccination when we did the first application. Why would you not use the stuff that stops them altogether?
well wat she said was that it gives dog bad reaction. my vet recommended frontline as well and i just applied it 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
21,054 Posts
Lenna, do you know the name of the collar? The one I'm referring to is *supposedly* only available in Europe and Australia right now, but I don't know that for sure. It's not the 2 that have been available for some time.
About the Vectra3D, some dog have had issues with it but they tend to be the herding dogs.
Always take your vet's advice, not the advice of someone on an internet forum!

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Their very bad here right now Wife found 3 on Jack & 2 on Sweetie last night.We're going camping this weekend so I'm treating both dogs before we leave & Ortho the bushes around the house.

·
returning old timer
32 Posts
Devils spawn that is what ticks are. Their natural predator is the wild turkey.
I burn them back to hell where they belong.
I love seeing the wild turkeys roam the neighborhood and hope they are gorging themselves on as many as they can find.
Deer ticks can carry Lyme disease. It can be deadly for dogs and can make humans very ill. It is passed by biting. They can bite and pass the disease before the preventatives we use on our dogs takes affect.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
If you do find an embedded tick, this is my favorite removal tool:

Pro-Tick Remedy Tick Removal System at REI.com

My vet wasn't recommending Vectra over Frontline yet. She was concerned that it wasn't as long-lasting, especially if your dog likes to swim. I'm curious to hear other's experience with that, as well as the new tick collars.

(And, as I just looked down, there was a tick crawling on my hand! :doh:)

21 - 33 of 33 Posts