Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took Toby for a walk to go pick up the girls from school. I'll admit its been a few months since he last went when he was still little. Today he was going bonkers when all the kids started coming out of the school. At one point a boy past by us and I not expecting it wasn't holding his lease strong enough and Toby got a few feet away and nearly tackled the boy down. The boy hadn't even said or done anything. His mom was standing right there and kinda let out a little shreik. I was embarrassed and caught totally off guard by Toby's reaction to the kids that where simply trying to walk past him.
Now I'm nervous about taking him back again to pick up the girls from school. Not sure if I should take him more to desensitize and retrain Toby or just avoid till he gets older and hopefully calms down.
I have 3 girls and they all know how to act with him and he almost never jumps on them anymore and a quick, DOWN, command from them is all it takes. A couple neighbor kids that have come over to play though I'm still working on training that they can run around and screech and get him all wriled up or he does start jumping. They want to run around they can do that outside or play upstairs in the girls rooms.
Any suggestions on the school topic?
BTW- Toby is now almost 8 mnths and not neutered yet, actually that date is coming up quick 2/7.

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
Is he food motivated? Does he know a 'leave it' command? A 'watch me' command? You might want to try staying back a bit and use going to pick up the girls as a training time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's ok with leave it while in training mode but if he gets something he wants then all bets are off. I will start taking him more but like you said hold back and use it as a training time. I think I will also ask the neighbor kids to come over for specific training time and have them use commands and treats for when he's doing a good job that way he can associate the good behavior with a postive reward.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Same Boat!

We are in the same boat with Amber, 7 mos. 55 lbs. Do we take her out more and get her used to distractions/stimulus or wait until she is older and more settled.? Hubby wants to take her fishing, but is afraid to try. I understand about the jumping as we have four grand kids. It's hard. :wavey:

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
time spent wishing and hoping wont make him better behaved on leash....training will make it so.

You can do it and Toby will love it...it will open up his world so he can go even more places with you.

Attention training (at home and at the school) while staying really focused on him when you are out in public is going to make a big difference. if you search youtube for videos by kikopup...she has some great clips and is pretty good at explaining things...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts