Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question. This is my first golden retriever as I always had smaller terriers growing up. I never knew about bloat until doing some research after our now 12 week puppy was inhaling food and having gas. I spoke with our vet regarding this issue and she suggested possibly tacking her stomach when it is time to spay her if we were that worried (she did tell us that this is controversial with some vets for it and others against it). I have done a little research on my own, but I am just not to sure. While feeding Abby on a plate has slowed her down and the gas issues are essentially gone, I am still not sure if this is a good thing to do. I would love to hear advice and/or personal experiences.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Kristy
9,612 Posts
Did you purchase your puppy from a reputable breeder? If so, what does your breeder say? I couldn't imagine doing this unless their seemed to be a genetic predisposition in your puppy's pedigree in which case I probably wouldn't have purchased in the first place.

If you do a search on the forum, there was a very recent discussion on this topic that you might be interested in. The person who started the thread has had GOldens for several years so you might find her conversation useful.

Personally I couldn't imagine doing this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We did purchase her from a reputable breeder with no genetic predisposition for this. However, I also have read that it isn't necessarily completely genetic and that the dog's habits can play into it. Hence the worry regarding her eating her food quickly etc. There are also conflicting info regarding raising bowls and the slow-down bowls in regards to the issue. I am new to this website, so I will definitely search for the thread you are referring to. I appreciate the heads up!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Another topic worth your research is how long to delay spaying. Due to the crisis of pet overpopulation/unwanted pets, the mentality in America has been very early spay/neuter. Recent research suggests that delaying this procedure may greatly improve the health and longevity of large breed dogs, especially golden retrievers. Many vets are not aware of this research or disregard it for the greater good. The greater good may not be the best protocol for the individual dog.

https://www.grca.org/about-the-bree...of-early-spay-or-neuter-in-golden-retrievers/

https://www.grca.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/EffectsEarlySpayNeuterPurina1.pdf

I include this on your thread because it sounds like you may be considering this option sooner rather than later. Early spay presents more health risk than bloat in my opinion.

Bloat is not as common in golden retrievers as it is in extra large dogs like Great Danes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've just always been heard/told that you spay around 6 months prior to the first heat. So, I will have to do some research on this as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts