Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lucky is coming up 6 months now and I had been planning to take him for a snip (neuter). However, I met someone at the dog park (not exactly the best place to get expert opinion), who told me that neutered males almost always become vulnerable to non-neutered males wanting sex with them. I've already noticed this as male dogs (the majority of dogs we meet seem to be intact) run up to him and almost all start to hump him in a determined way. Even miniature poodles, pugs, or anything with the right anatomy (trying to be polite). It's not easy to get the dogs off him and to stay off him; they are persistent. Personally I don't want my dog to be the target of this behavior in the future, so I'm almost of the mind of leaving him un-snipped.

As always your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
Humping is a meet and greet behavior among some personality types, and really has very little to do with wanting sex with the humpee. It's more about saying (between boys or between girls) I'm over you in the heirarchy.
What you might encounter if you leave him intact is that the other intact boys take him more seriously as a rival, and then you might be looking at increased incidence of serious arguing. So unless he's a show/breeding prospect, getting a neuter will accomplish what you want (no target) easier than not.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,746 Posts
Do not neuter him at this age. And that warning has nothing to do with humping, and everything to do with the risk of cancer and hip dysplasia later on. Wait until AT LEAST 1 year old, and even then it's better if you leave him intact.

Also, the thing about neutered dogs being taken advantage of by intact dogs is a myth. Often, neutered dogs are the most aggressive in social situations. But it really depends on the dog's personality, not his ball status. Your boy obviously comes off as affable, leading dominant dogs to believe he's a good choice to demonstrate pack order. That's not going to change whether or not you snip him, I'm afraid.

Reactions: Bolt

·
Riley
1,023 Posts
Just because your male dog is neutered does not turn him into a female dog. He's still a male dog, and other dogs know that. They're not stupid. They can smell it.

There's a lot of controversy about neutering at 6 months. Research it, talk to you vet, and then make your decision based on your findings - not on some random at the dog park that doesn't understand anatomy.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Please read some great articles out there about early spay and neutering in dogs and the issues it can cause. I would also wait until between 12-18 months. Give the growth plates time to close properly before you remove certain hormones. Also, humping really has very little to do with sex. Dogs hump because of many reasons excitement being one, but not because of sexual excitement.

Reactions: Melfice
1 - 5 of 5 Posts