Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had always assumed we would crate our puppy off the kitchen, and make that where he was crated time to time during the day, and where he would sleep at night. I had it in my head that I deffinitely did not want the puppy to sleep in a crate in our bedroom at night. HOwever, I am now reading tons of posts here from people who DO crate their pups in their bedroom at night, and am wondering if I should reconsider. Are their pros and cons to doing this? Is it a hard habit to break later, or is it not necessarily a habit I would WANT to break? Is it smarter to have the night time crate downstairs and closer to the back door so it's easier to get puppy out quickly for middle of the night bathroom time?

Also, if I am home with the puppy during the day, will I also need some type of gated off area, or because I'll be with him, is it ok to not have a gated area, and to just crate him if there is a time I won't be able to supervise him completely (ie. if I'm showering, helping w kids homework etc?).

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
My puppy is 3 months old now. Her crate is downstairs, off the kitchen, near the mudroom door. She has slept there from the beginning, and there were no problems whatsoever. We leave out bedroom door open, so if she whines, I usually hear her pretty quickly. During daytime she also goes in her crate if I have to go out or do something in the house where I can not supervise her. She also goes to her crate herself when she wants some quiet time...For us this works very well. We did not want her to sleep in our bedroom, or in the bedroom of our son. She has her own space downstairs and seems very happy with her crate.

·
Registered
223 Posts
We have a crate downstairs and one in our bedroom and she was sleeping the first 3 months in the crate next to our bed and we left our house she was staying in the crate in the kitchen area up to 2-4 hours at a time.
Sinc 5 1/2 months she's sleeping on a couch in our bedroom and often she first falls asleep on a bathroom rug in our adjacent bathroom. She can roam freely in our room/bathroom and the hallway. But I think she's most of the time on the couch and sleeps.
Downstairs we have a few gates up also because we have a 3 year old and it's sometimes just too crazy to have them together. Gates are absolutly a blessing for me. When we are gone she's in a gated area just infront the Front door and we are not anymore using the crate. I used it maybe 2-3 times in the last few weeks if she just too crazy to calm her down, but that's it.

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
I think it all depends on what you want. Either way is fine. Merlin was in a crate in our bedroom (we had another in the den) for about 6 months. I wanted him to sleep in our bedroom though. Many people prefer not to do that. I think as long as you can hear what's going on in the kitchen it's fine. My parents raised two labs that slept off the kitchen in the mud room for the entire time they lived in that house. They were happy, well adjusted dogs! :) So really, it's about what you want.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
We've done it both -

When we brought Maggie home ('95) our bedroom was very small with no room for a crate. We put the crate in the kitchen. She slept in the crate until she was housebroke then she slept on the floor next to our bed.

With Hank, our bedroom is large (different house) so we put his crate in with us. Actually it worked out better, especially the first few nights when he'd cry or needed to go out. I was right there and could just speak to him and he'd quiet down or to hear him needing to go out. He still sleeps in it even though he's housebroke and not a chewer. My husband has odd hours, I don't want Hank up-for-the-day at 3:15am when DH gets up for work or sometimes 2:00am when my husband sometimes gets home.

We have the kitchen and laundry room gated off. Even though he's been housebroke for 3+ months, we still use the gates...when we're out, entertaining, cleaning etc.

·
Old Vet
42 Posts
This is a great question. I wonder the same thing. Like any psychological problems down the road? I was going to do the same thing to my puppy, cause i never had a dog not sleep in the same room as me. SO figured it was the norm.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I do not crate puppies in my bedroom they are downstairs right near our back door... my husband can hear them when they are shuffling around and crying and we can get them out quickly without having to take a "needing to pee" puppy through the house first.

I did have two (of my eight) who did sleep in the bedroom as puppies and they are my only two that I have trouble crating... I won't do it again.
just my two cents

·
Registered
209 Posts
Payton started out in a crate in the living room, but only lasted a week. She cried and barked all night so we borrowed a second crate from my dad and she spent the night in our room and the day out in the living room. By the time she was 3 months old she either sleeps in our room on our bed or in our son's room on her bed. We still have the crate in our room and that is where she stays during the day.

Personally I feel it's a personal choice. You have to do what works for you.

·
aka Ali, Oscar's mom
493 Posts
It's a good question! We did not find this a difficult "habit" to break for Oscar, and we found it best to have him sleep in our bedroom when he was small because when he was VERY little he would cry a lot, and we'd stick our hands in the door to calm him down. That didn't last very long, but I think he was comforted to have us nearby.

Here's what we did for crate placement:

From about 8 weeks to 3 months (?), he slept in our bedroom in a small plastic crate. We would move it out into the rest of the apartment if we needed it during the day, but often we'd just crate him in the bedroom because it was easier for him to fall asleep when he couldn't hear/see us out & about ;)

Later we switched to a large (42"...? full-size, anyway) wire crate in the bedroom, and used the plastic one only occasionally (as he was pretty much grown out of that one!).

Eventually (4 months?) we moved the large crate to the living room, and he can go in and out of there during the day for naps if he wants (while we're home). (If we are gone he is ALWAYS in his crate... he is a BIG CHEWER! :D )

Oscar now sleeps in the living room in his crate. When we made the switch from bedroom to living room, he didn't seem to mind at all. He accepts "bedtime" and never makes a fuss to go into his crate... well getting a treat every time helps, I'm sure ;)

We go to bed ~midnight or later, so he wakes up naturally around 8-9am... since we work from home, we usually get up around the same time... but if we want to go back to sleep, we let him sleep in bed with us. Even though I'm sure he would like to be up for the day and eating breakfast, I think his desire to be with us is stronger, so he always accepts more nap-time LOL

Hope that helps! :) I honestly can't imagine life WITHOUT a crate or at least an ex-pen or other gated solution. Oscar tries to eat everrrything... cabinets, carpet... linoleum floors... the grout from my bathroom tiles... :doh: He just gnaws and gnaws. He has tons of toys, but I guess he also likes to invent them himself, from his surroundings... :p:

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Flora hated her crate from day one, so I eventually had her sleeping in my room uncrated. I too worried that she would be attached to me since I was letting her sleep in my room. Well, she's a year old now, and I have to lure her into my bedroom with a treat to get her to sleep with me! :eek: So yeah, at least in my experience, it's definitely not something to get too worked up about.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts