Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

Cooper is 14 months and has yet to blow out his puppy coat. I would love to get him a puppy cut for the summer (so would my floors) but I’m not sure it’s the right thing to do given that this isn’t his adult coat I’d be cutting.

I have heard that a full coat in the summer actually keeps them cooler but I don’t know if I buy that. Like when people say “115 degrees in Arizona isn’t hot because it’s a dry heat”. I don’t care where you are 115 degrees is freaking hot and I’m sure when its 95 degrees in NY and 100% humidity that full Golden coat is nice and toasty.

To quote The Who, Cooper is an “Air-Condition Gipsy :cool:

Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
What does a puppy cut entail on a golden? Ive only ever heard of that on dogs like Tibetan terriers where the coat is cut back to a couple of inches instead of their really long coat...not sure how that would be done on a golden!

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
a puppy cut is something you should avoid with a double coated breed such as a golden, the coat comes back all wooly and hard to manage, I use a thinning rake on my castrated boy Ollie and some times even a furminator when the girls are blowing their coats after a season.

·
2 goldens and a BMD
841 Posts
Last year my older guy had so many hot spots and was losing so much hair to allergies, I gave him a puppy cut. I probably won't do it again, but it did help with the state his coat was in, but I don't think it was the best thing for his coat.

Here's what a puppy cut looks like on a 6 year old:

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I would not cut it to a puppy cut. Goldens have a double coat and it does keep them cooler in the summer.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Last year my older guy had so many hot spots and was losing so much hair to allergies, I gave him a puppy cut. I probably won't do it again, but it did help with the state his coat was in, but I don't think it was the best thing for his coat.

Here's what a puppy cut looks like on a 6 year old:

I have been told that it is quite refreshing for a senior golden during a very hot summer, but even then they only shave the tummy area

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
If anything, I'd only ever consider shaving the under-belly of an older dog in the summer.

Think it's best to let his coat mature as nature intended it. Make sure he has plenty of access to inside and shade when outside, along with free flowing cool water and he should be fine, even in Arizona!

·
Look at that face...
89 Posts
Sam was basically shaved when we got him last summer because he had hot spots. Later I read that chances were good his coat was permanently damaged due to that. How do you know if it's damaged or not? What is the difference between a "ruined" coat and a one that isn't? It's hard for me to picture because GRs can be so different from each other.

·
16,000 Posts
PLEASE do not cut your puppy or adult dogs down. The Golden Retriever coat is not meant to be clipped or shaved, and DOES in fact insulate and protect them from both heat and cold. It does require regular brushing. Taking it off exposes them to high risk of sunburn, melanoma, and heat stroke. And contrary to common belief, it does not stop shedding - the undercoat is exposed and will shed.

·
16,000 Posts
Sam was basically shaved when we got him last summer because he had hot spots. Later I read that chances were good his coat was permanently damaged due to that. How do you know if it's damaged or not? What is the difference between a "ruined" coat and a one that isn't? It's hard for me to picture because GRs can be so different from each other.

Shaving down a coat will cause it to grown in soft, and without the water repellency that Goldens need. This is the same reason that terriers are hand stripped - the coat is supposed to be hard and tight to the skin to protect them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't shave Lisa but I do keep her feathers (longer hairs on butt and underbelly trimmed short), other wise bringing her back into the house after a forest run would be ......ewww!.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok looks like the Votes are in. Thanks for all the good advice. Cooper will stick with his groovy 70's long wavy hair.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
You really shouldn't cut the coat on goldens, as per the experts. They have a double coat for a reason and it will keep them cooler. Also, this is just a logical thought, sine they do have a double coat, you don't really lesson the thickeness of the coat, it is just as dense, but you can damage the coat, the longer hairs protect the dogs skin.

v

·
Registered
16,391 Posts
My childhood vet was so adamant in his belief that shaving a golden was related to certain cancers, that I have never once considered doing it. Tango, though, was shaved for her elbow surgery, but her coat grew back very normally. I wonder if that's because she was 7 months old?

·
Social Therapy Dog
613 Posts
I too use a thnning shears to trim down Amber feathering on her front legs, rear peticoat, and ever so slightly on her tummy just due to all the swimming and hiking we do. If I don't she ends up with more tangles, junk caught in those pretty long flowing feathers, knots, burrs...etc. I've tried everything before resorting to taking maybe up to 2 inches off her rear peticoat and about 1-1.5 inches from the front legs. This seems to work very very well and I only have to do it once for the summer as they seem to grown back slowly enough that by summers end they have grown back and no need for it during the winter. I had also found that the salt they put down around her had started to damage the feathering during the winter as we hike everyday despite the weather.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If anything, I'd only ever consider shaving the under-belly of an older dog in the summer.

Think it's best to let his coat mature as nature intended it. Make sure he has plenty of access to inside and shade when outside, along with free flowing cool water and he should be fine, even in Arizona!
Your whippet reminds me of my oldest doggy, molly. She's an italian greyhound. She's pretty cute. I'm hoping our new golden (in mid May to early June) will do well with her...though I'm not anticipating any problems.

·
16,000 Posts
My childhood vet was so adamant in his belief that shaving a golden was related to certain cancers, that I have never once considered doing it. Tango, though, was shaved for her elbow surgery, but her coat grew back very normally. I wonder if that's because she was 7 months old?
PRoblems with the coat growing back improperly are more likely with dogs who are shaved down regularly - such as is often seen here - people who spend their summers on our lakes shave their dogs down every spring and once during the summer - some of the reasons I've being that "It is SO much easier not to deal with a big hairy wet dog", and "He gets hot spots when he's wet all the time" and "We don't have time to brush him when we are on vacation", etc etc. :doh:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts