Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Dakota Bear
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always had female Goldens - I will be picking up my male pup this weekend and I really know very little about this. Are there advantages or disadvantages other than the obvious? If you do decide to neuter when is it supposed to be done. Is there a "too early" or "too late" time? Like I said I know very little about this topic,so any info would be great - thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've gone to two different vets when Rocky went to get his second and third shot, both said that if i want to get him neuter it would be at 6 months. I've called around different vets and they all suggested neutering him at 6 months. Before I got Rocky, I was looking around at shelters for a puppy and I've seen some been neuter as young as 2 months old and some have been neuter even when they were five at shelters. So i guess it's all up to the vet, but I'm not too sure.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would advise that you get him neutered. Every male dog that I have had "fixed" has been very well manered and it also reduces their tendency to run off every time another dog is in season somewhere in the neighborhood. Male dogs like to roam anyway and neutering them eliminates some of this tendency.

I've always heard that you shouldn't do it until he is 6 mo. or older.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have an 8 months old and I am really torn. He is not neutered yet, and I am not sure I should get it done. I don't want to breed but he doesn't have any behavior issues, like dominance, marking, humping, or anything that would be taken care of with neutering. He is very calm, cuddly and easy going. I think I will wait another few month and see if it all changes as he matures more.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
We have had Goldens both ways.If you are not going to breed him,neuter him.It will make the "terrible two's" a LOT easier and he won't disappear every time a female gets in heat within a 2 mile radius.:D
I'd do it soon,so there won't be any memories for him to forget.
Shane

·
Dakota Bear
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do the behavior problems start after the pups first birthday(the terrible twos)? Do all unaltered Goldens experience the same dominance, marking, roaming stuff? My breeder told me that my pups dad is very laid back and she has no unaltered male problems with him. I do not know if I should believe her because she doesn't want me to neuter my pup. He happens to be her second male pick and thinks maybe in case her first male pick doesn't work out she could use my pup. I am not too thrilled about any of this!

·
Dakota Bear
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sasha's mom- after I picked out my male pup last Sat. the breeder OK'd the pick and then 20 minutes later asked me if I intended to neuter him? I answered YES - then she went on to tell me her story- my chosen pup was her second chosen male pup(she picked one female and one male from her litter). She wants to breed my pup if her male doesn't work out. I paid for him in full - and will picking him up to bring home this Sat. I believe he is MY pup and I hope she doesn't have a different belief!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts