Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

Hi, my name is Emily. I am from Malaysia and I own a one and half year old female Golden Retriever named Zuri. She has quite well-trained and has been house-broken ever since she was 3 months old.

When she was a pup, we lived in a landed property where we could bring her out daily to a park nearby where she does her number one and twos. Funnily enough, she finds it more comfortable to do her business on the grass compared to a pavement...and is able to hold her pee till we come home to let her out...

My problem started when we shifted to a condominium, not by our own choice, but it was simply cheaper to own and stay. The condominium committee has this regulation about not allowing residents to own dogs...I have to hide her in-house most of the time....but I am unable to get her to do her business in our toilet...I have tried spraying the newspaper with her pee, locking her in the toilet to encourage her to poop...but to no success...

Can anyone teach me how I can train my dog to do her business in-house?...

·
Faux Wanda
1,528 Posts
My first piece of advice for the long term is to find a place to live that allows dogs. A dog should not be cooped up in the house forever. It may work with a small dog but definitely not a Golden Retriever. Goldens need to go outside to do more than poop and pee.
For the short term, I wouldn't try to get her to go in the toilet, but something like this may be an option for you, if not to purchase then to build your own.

The #1 Selling Grass Litter Box for Dogs - Potty Training Made Easy

·
Registered
924 Posts
I agree with Goldhaven. Its not a good idea to keep a dog locked inside all day every day. They need exercise outside of the house on a regular basis.
For the time being you might want to look into one of those grass patch things. She might be able to work with that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts