Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Tilly has never been professionally groomed, it hasn't really crossed my mind before as I never thought goldens really needed grooming properly...as in they their hair doesn't grow like, say a cocker spaniel...that would be so annoying, having to get your dog trimmed every 8 weeks or so...I brush Tilly a couple of times a week and she gets washed down daily (because of the mud she wallows in) I generally just use clean water as I obviously don't want to be shampooing her every day!! She probably gets shampooed every month or so (unless she has rolled in something particularly smelly) and I can safely say she certainly does not smell! (I have a VERY keen nose!) I trim her paws myself every couple of weeks...I like nice neat paws! But I prefer the whole coat to be slightly more 'au natural' to me goldens aren't the type of dog to look very neat and tidy and dislike the over-groomed look...goldens should look like they just had a good time running around in a field...not all prim, proper and fluffed up!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Magic decides when it is bath time by rolling in something unmentionable and very smelly. :doh:

·
Park, Cam and Ty Rule!
1,038 Posts
Park went to the groomer once and I couldn't tell a difference from when he went in. Camden has never gone, as I felt it was a waste of my money. My boys swim at least once or twice a week so bathing around here only happens when we have no choice and we are really mucky. I've found if I wash Park too often he becomes incredibly itchy. We however blow out coats (dog blower) at least once or twice a week which I've found helps tremendously with the shedding. I do feet and ears at least once a week and trim up butt feathers and tail every few weeks. I actually love doing it myself. When I new foster comes in I always go to town on them because I enjoy doing it so much!

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
I try to take Maxine and Teddi to the groomer at least two times a year. The rest of the time I do the best I can. My dogs swim a lot, and we bathe fairly regularly (or more if stinky). My girls LOVE to be brushed so it is nice to sit with them and just run the brush over them. I have trimmed their feet, however I do a really botched job when I try to smooth out the ears :eek: That is why I take them two times a year. We go in spring to start out the swimming season with their coats properly thinned out and not too much scraggily hair. I also do the late fall.

My two have completely different hair. Max is ALL undercoat, and extremely soft. I say she never lost her puppy fur, she is all fluff. Teddi has absolutely no under coat. I have noticed lately on her thighs where she rolls around when sleeping she it creating knots in her hair. Her hair is SO LONG. Thin but long.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recently adopted an 8 year old Golden from a couple who no longer could care for her. She is wonderful, but they cut the hair so short she has a coat like a Lab. Only the tail is to Breed Standard. How long will it take for her coat to grow back to what it should be?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

21 - 26 of 26 Posts