Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Catalina: Maya's mom!
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone...
I've never spayed a dog before, because it was kind of our job to breed them and we had time for it and everything.
However, none of us at home would have the time to take all the cares that a litter needs. So... We're thinking of fixing Maya.
But I've heard stories, and I wanted you guys to clear that out for me, please.
I've heard fixed dogs have more chance to suffer obesity, that they can get hormonal problems and that their temperament changes a bit. I don't believe it completely, but wanted to check, cause I've read some of you have fixed your dogs. How did it go? Do they calm down, do they become more hyper?
Oh... and what's the best age to do it?
Thanks!

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
All of my dogs have been either spayed or neutered, and none has become obese (I am careful to control how much they eat and make sure they get daily exercise). Nor have I experienced any behavioral changes in them. I am a firm believer in spaying of all dogs that don't have the appropriate health clearances and temperament for breeding. Spaying eliminates the risk of pyometra (a potentially very dangerous uterine infection) and greatly reduces the risk of breast cancer if the spaying is done early in the dog's life. I've always had my dogs spayed at 6 months, but there is a wide array of opinions about the 'best' time for the surgery.

This is a 'hot' topic to many, so I'm sure you will get a variety of opinions.

·
Premium Member
18,300 Posts
I'm an advocate for spaying. You can avoid some cancers by spaying your female, and obviously any accidental litters too. I don't believe it really changes their personality, and if you are excercising and playing with your dog regularly they should not gain weight either.

·
Registered
780 Posts
All of my dogs are fixed, male and female. It didn't change them one bit. I spayed all of my females at 6 months, before they had a chance to come into season at all. The earlier you spay, the more you reduce the risk of certain types of cancer like mammary and uterine. You also don't ever have to worry about pyometra which can be a life threatning a uterine infection.

As far as obesity, fixing your dogs doesn't make them fat, overfeeding them does. Sometimes spaying or neutering them makes them a little calmer and they aren't as active or burning up as much nervous energy. If you continue to feed the same amount when your dog is less active, that will lead to weight gain. I haven't had that issue with any of my pets. We have adjusted food portions as they've aged and gotten less active, but not because of spaying or neutering them.

I have never seen a dog become hyper due to being fixed. I am a firm believer in spay/neuter for dogs. Unless you are a responsible breeder who can guarentee the health and temperment of their dog, who is doing clearances etc., and striving to better the breed, I don't see any reason not to fix your pet.

·
Catalina: Maya's mom!
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All of my dogs have been either spayed or neutered, and none has become obese (I am careful to control how much they eat and make sure they get daily exercise). Nor have I experienced any behavioral changes in them. I am a firm believer in spaying of all dogs that don't have the appropriate health clearances and temperament for breeding. Spaying eliminates the risk of pyometra (a potentially very dangerous uterine infection) and greatly reduces the risk of breast cancer if the spaying is done early in the dog's life. I've always had my dogs spayed at 6 months, but there is a wide array of opinions about the 'best' time for the surgery.

This is a 'hot' topic to many, so I'm sure you will get a variety of opinions.
Yeah... my Tabatha got that infection you mentioned. She lived to tell the tale but it was a horrible experience to go through.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts