Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there - we are planning to get a golden in the next 6 months. I have always crate trained my puppies with great success, however my husband is reluctant b/c I think it's mean/cruel to the puppy. I'm very much into structure and my first pup was potty trained in 10 weeks. My husband works from home so someone will be with her most of the time. What are your thoughts? I think I should stick to my guns on this one, however is their potty training without a crate???

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Crate training a puppy is no more "cruel" than putting an infant in a crib or a play pen. It's as much for your puppy's safety (and your sanity) as for the housebreaking.

As for whether you can housebreak without the crate... of course it can be done. "Crate training" only became a thing in the last 30-40 years or so. My first puppy was housebroken in a large gated kitchen with papers down and she was still reasonably house broken by 5 months and reliable loose in the house by 9 months (although I spent a LOT of her puppyhood cleaning the kitchen floor when I would have rather have been playing and snuggling with my puppy :cry:)... BUT it's just so much clearer to the puppy what the "rule" is if you control how often an "accident" might happen and make sure that the vast majority of pottying happens outside. I would think too that it may work to make the puppy more aware of her body's signals that she needs to go if she's in a situation where she really doesn't want to go because she'd end up laying in it.

If your husband really feels strongly, then he should be in charge of taking the puppy outside every twenty minutes and cleaning up all accidents! (kidding - not kidding ;))

Maybe a compromise would be a crate at night next to your bed and an ex-pen during the day (but that would still require those twice an hour runs outside to encourage the puppy to pee outside - and they're not usually always cooperative about that if they're not desperate to go!).

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,205 Posts
Once you crate train, no person on Earth would train any other way. It is an invaluable to too land creates a den like environment for you puppy. It teaches bladder control faster then any other method and prevents behavior issues from happening.

Plus no one at home can watch a puppy 100% of the time. So this is much much safer for you puppy when you can't watch them constantly

Honestly people who feel it's cruel doesn't understand the concept and should be educated in the subject before drawing conclusions.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Sounds like your husband, like many people, is applying human traits to your dog (anthropomorphism). Dogs are naturally animals that like to 'den'. The do better having a quite, dark, dry, place to rest and sleep. That is exactly what crate training provides, not to mention the importance crates play in teaching a dog not to mess in the home. Also, if you have to travel somewhere with the dog, he will have a familiar place to sleep or rest while you are traveling and after you arrive....get a crate!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I never used a crate with my Goldens though I tried😀
When I brought my current pup home at 8 weeks she was instead introduced to a pen I bought at a Pet store. She is now over a year and still goes in it and understands the purpose.
A pen seems like a compromise to me. Sort of like a crate without a roof.
My Golden could knock it over in a minute however it is her little safe spot

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Big difference between a crate and a pen is if the crate is sized properly and the puppy crate is kept near the owners bed at night, so you can hear them get restless looking for a place to go potty. This alerts the owner to take the pup outside. The puppy will not pee or pooh where he/she sleeps, given a choice. Meaning you seldom have to clean up for the puppy messes and it teaches the puppy faster not to go in the house.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts