Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has been asked before, and I'm pretty new on here. But I wanted to know... I have a 4 month old Golden retiever and I wanted to know when is it to cold to put him outside? It's obviously winter now... he has been an inside puppy so far, but we are thinking of putting him outside while we are at work and things.... What would be to cold to leave him outside... I know its a different story when he has his full coat but right now... at 4 months... well ya know he is still little.... what do you guys think?

·
Debbie
644 Posts
I am sure this has been asked before, and I'm pretty new on here. But I wanted to know... I have a 4 month old Golden retiever and I wanted to know when is it to cold to put him outside? It's obviously winter now... he has been an inside puppy so far, but we are thinking of putting him outside while we are at work and things.... What would be to cold to leave him outside... I know its a different story when he has his full coat but right now... at 4 months... well ya know he is still little.... what do you guys think?
Oh boy....putting a 4 month old puppy outside while you are are work is a bad idea. Putting a 4 month old puppy outside unsupervised at all is a bad idea. IMO you are asking for trouble.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
see this is why I need some assistance :) This is my first puppy! (PS husbands Idea......) we were going to get a dog house and a long leash type thing to attach him too....................

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Your going to get a lot of passionate responses...put on your seatbelt! :)

IMO - A 4 month old is too young to be left alone outdoors...even with a dog house...

Tied up is even more dangerous...if there is a way for a dog to get hurt they will find it!
If your yard is not fenced....there is also the potential for him to be attacked by other dogs...
There is also the risk of theft...fence or no fence...

Plus if you read through some of the threads here about 'what' a puppy will eat (someone recently had 9 pounds of sand surgically removed...) ....you will want him inside someplace safe!

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Whether he be 4 mos or 10 years, tied up to a dog house outside is not a life to live.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Why can't he stay inside?

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Is there any reason in particular you would rather have him outside? If he's been an inside dog thus far why would you suddenly move him out? ESPECIALLY with it being winter.

If you're worried about him getting into things, or using the potty, buy a kennel, keep him inside and have a trusted friend take him out potty while you're at work.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Is your husband worried about pee and poop, or destruction of things is why he'd want to keep the puppy outside?

My Sierra is a inside dog, her coat would not be heavy enough to stand it in the cold long. I couldn't put my baby outside and leave, even in summer and she's 3 yrs!
I'd rather have her in the house at those times and then outside when we can play.

I'd be inclined to crate a puppy, if the crate is big enough.

Sierra is our first dog in our married lives too. I wasn't sure what to do many times, the forum is great place to ask questions though!:)
Karen

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
My personal opinion is that I could never leave my dog outside for more than playtime or potty time.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
You also need to check the laws where you live. Where I live, it is illegal to leave a dog tied up outside.

I won't say more.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Ok, I'm getting the trend about leaving him outside... what about the cold for a 4month year old?
... yeah. I would say it's too cold. Are you still considering keeping him out there? You never did say where you lived, so I suppose depending on your location 50 degrees could be cold to you. I'd say anything under 50 would be too cold.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
If you're wanting a dog that will live outside, the golden is the wrong breed for you. It's more than just worrying about the temperature outside. Goldens become bored when left to their own devices, go ahead & look at your backyard & anything currently in it and now picture the ground fulls of holes and anything (to include the house) chewed on. Your pup runs the risk of ingesting something harmful & either being poisoned or getting a bowel obstruction...are you ready for the vet bills? After reigning destruction, your pup could very well become an escape artist, not sure of your fencing situation, but a golden can easily clear a 6ft stockade. Now if your pup is lucky enough to survive the things above, what about the risk of being stolen? Too many goldens end up in rescue because the owners put the once cute fluffy puppy in the backyard and weren't too pleased with the results. Please do right by your pup & keep it inside. Proper training & exercise combined with some basic housekeeping make for a happy & healthy golden family.

·
Debbie
644 Posts
... yeah. I would say it's too cold. Are you still considering keeping him out there? You never did say where you lived, so I suppose depending on your location 50 degrees could be cold to you. I'd say anything under 50 would be too cold.
I agree on the temp thing. I've lived in FL all my life so I'm sure I cannot even comprehend the cold temps some of you live with. I workout at 5:45 a.m. outside and my cutoff is 50 degrees. I know I am a wimp! But as far as the dog not tolerating it, I don't think we get that kind of cold here so I guess I am useless.

I just wanted to say to the original poster to please don't be put off by our posts. We love our goldens and we are obviously passionate about them. Stick around the forum, read a lot of posts and ask questions. You will learn tons and it will enhance your relationship with your dog.

On side note: it has been beautiful here the last 2 days and I have had all of the sliders open to our screened patio. It is the first time Riley has had to freedom to come and go from the house to the patio on her own. We have 2 planters filled with foliage and rocks. I have been putting all of the rocks I have removed from her mouth on the table and the numbers are now in the 20's. Even when you're watching them they get into trouble!

·
Registered
49 Posts
There is no way I would keep any dog outside unsupervised for more than 15 minutes. Genny goes out in the morning while I get ready for work but I am constantly checking up on her. She brings me all kinds of things she finds out there. Old stuff that the previous owners must have lost. (they had dogs too)

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
In Maine on a sunny but cold day (20-30 F)...we would be out for half hour or more...
When the pup start standing still...we go in...

If it is windy...we shorten it up considerably...

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
LOLOL Yep!! I have a digger too!

If I gave Riley 15 minutes of unsupervised freedom in the yard she would reward me with 15 foot wide hole :-}

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
see this is why I need some assistance :) This is my first puppy! (PS husbands Idea......) we were going to get a dog house and a long leash type thing to attach him too....................
A 4 month old puppy (or any dog really), tied to a doghouse, outside all day, while you're at work, in the winter :bricks1:

No no no!! :no:

While you are at work he needs to be indoors where he is safe and warm.

Sorry to sound harsh but, you would be the kind of neighbor I call the SPCA on.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts