Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a male English golden retriever & my sister has a female goldendoodle. She wants to breed them but I'm unsure if I should breed Gus or not. Does the personality of the stud change after breeding? Now Gus is 6months & Tomorrow he has an appointment for a neuter, I scheduled it because he has been humping my leg. He still squats but I wanted to neuter him before he started marking his territory to avoid it completely. But if I decide to breed him ill post pone it. I honesty wanted to breed him because i would love another puppy, & the money i would make would help for my college expenses. I'm just so indesive with this that I would love to hear your opinions! Thank you! It means a lot!

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Do either of these animals have all of their health clearances? If not, i would strongly advise AGAINST breeding.

You will most likely get a lot of comments saying not to breed to a mix because it does nothing to better the breed of golden retrievers.

Looking at the income level, after you've covered the puppy care (food, bedding, vet exams, puppy shots), you will be lucky to break even. Breeding tends to be a sinkhole of money, jmho, a lot of breeders have broken their costs down in different threads.

Overall, I want to challenge you to really look into what it takes to breed two animals ethically, and then decide. I have a feeling, you shouldn't be breeding the two dogs, but again, thats my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Jen and Brew
544 Posts
I personally think it's a horrible idea, there are all ready SO many mixed breed pups out there in shelters that need homes badly, I don't think this world has room for any more "designers"

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Re-reading your post, i see Gus is only 6 months old. He's too young imo to breed and he definitely is too young to have health clearances. Dogs must be 2 years old to get hip and elbow clearances. Those clearances are a must, because they tell you if your dogs have good/fair/bad hips and elbows. You don't want to bring life to the world if its going to suffer for the next 10-14 years, especially, knowing you could have prevented all the pain and heartbreak for those families.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I also say no for the above reasons.
Also, as for making money, assuming your dog has papers, goldendoodles aren't AKC registered, so they don't have papers. Basically it's no different than breeding your golden to a German Shepherd or to a Border Collie or to a Beagle. How much would you pay for a mix breed dog?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well English golden doodles are designer dogs. So its not like I'd be breeding two random breeds. & yes they both have their certificates. Gus is cleared for hip dysplasia& is akc registered.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow that is a very good point. Goldendoodles aren't akc registered. But the thing I'm highly concerned about is the cons for Gus. The puppies are in good hands. I tried to research the effects breeding has on the stud but nothing came up.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Gus's parents might be cleared for hips, but Gus is still too young. You simply can not get a hip clearance until the dog is 2 yrs old.
And, no the golden doodle does not have AKC papers. No designer dogs have AKC papers, AKC only deals with purebreds.
To many many people, it is the same as breeding 2 random breeds.
Even assuming a golden doodle was considered a pure bred, breeding a purebreed golden doodle to a purebred golden retriever results in a mixed breed dog

·
AKA: Joyce
7,442 Posts
Well English golden doodles are designer dogs. So its not like I'd be breeding two random breeds. & yes they both have their certificates. Gus is cleared for hip dysplasia& is akc registered.
Gus can't be cleared until he is 2 yrs old. A Golden Doodle is not a designer dog, it is a mixed breed dog.
No to the breeding. Walk through a dog shelter. Heart breaking. I've done it hundreds of times.

·
returning old timer
32 Posts
hip clearances are not done until 2 years of age

How old is Gus?- hip clearances are done at 2 years of age. No dog should be bred before.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Who are you kidding? Obviously, you don't know a thing about breeding dogs and clearances, which should have been obvious from your previous posts about your girl pup you got rid of and this pup that you had problems with(for all that remember).
A six months old dog does not have hip clearances or any other clearances for that matter and that he is AKC registered doesn't count for anything.

And please don't give me the spiel about being in pre-vet again and your love for animals and bla bla bla. I am not buying it.

I know I will get fallout for my outburst from other members, but enough is enough. Some people just don't seem to want to learn a thing.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I don't mean to be harsh but:

a) There is no such thing as a "designer" dog, its not real - its a marketing ploy. A golden doodle is a mutt, two purebred dogs who have been bred to create a dog that is no longer a purebred. I am not down on mutts - my dog is a mutt and he is the best. But lets be series, golden doodles are mutts.

b) Hip dysplasia can't be "cleared" for until the dog is MINIMUM two years old.

c) Beyond hip dysplasia - how about elbow clearances? Eyes? Heart?

d) What about other breeding concerns: have these dogs been shown? Have they won in any venue or sport?

e) Please please please read up on the costs of raising puppies before you think that having a litter is going to be profitable for you!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I meant Gus's parents. My apologies. I know golden doodles are at high demand. My sister traveled to Maryland for hers. Just because they are not purebred does not mean they are not wonderful creatures. Like I said my question is if breeding will effect Gus. Because that is my biggest concern.

·
AKA: Joyce
7,442 Posts
This thread hurts my heart to even read. I'm just not up to hearing excuses for irresponsible breeding of mixed breed dogs. I will not be reading it further.

Please, please, please, go spend some time at a shelter. You will maybe realize then why what you want to do is unforgivable to some of us.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Also, ask your sister if she is willing to risk the life of her dog? Is she able to afford an emergency C-section if necessary?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Why is it that everything I come in this site & post a question I get people jumping down y throat. You are not even answering my question.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubble but my male was neutered before he started marking and he marks everything outside non stop. Humping, also is behavioral he still humps and hes 5 years.

As for breeding, I would not. Will it change him? It may it depends on the dog. I am all for people keeping their dogs intact providing they do not contribute to the over population unless its being done responsibly (such as a reputable breeder does)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.