Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,057 Posts
Well, I'll chime in....as you can see from my signature, I currently have 3 Goldens.

We started with one way back in 2000, two months later we added another puppy. So we had 2 puppies 2 months apart in age. It was great and we loved it!!! It costs a bit more to have 2 but certainly not enough to deter us from always having 2 at one time.

In 2009 we lost Phoenix suddenly....we added Austin and then a month later, we added Lincoln. So again we had 2 puppies, 2 months apart in age. These 2 were a bit of a challenge but again, nothing we couldn't handle. So now we are at 3!!!!

We loving having 3 dogs. We are very fortunate that our guys are well balanced and have absolutely no issues that make having 3 difficult. We can walk our guys separately, take one out without the others having temper tantrums and if we do take one out, the other 2 have each other. We dedicate alot of our time to our dogs. I guess you can say our lives have gone to the dogs....but we love it!!

If you can afford it (food, vet bills, obedience classes, grooming, etc.) and are willing to dedicate alot of time to your dogs, then I say definitely add another!!!

·
Registered
493 Posts
We got a puppy a year ago to keep Lucy company. She tolerates a second dog, but it is apparent that she would prefer being our only dog. She can be touchy if Amber gets too close to her food dish. And they both try to be closest to me. I can't pet one without petting both. Amber is still so soft and cuddlly, and I would love to have her on my lap while watching TV -- but Lucy wants that attention even though she is much to big to sit on my lap. Actually, Amber is, too, but that is another story. One advantage is Lucy has lost some weight in her struggle to get closer than Amber. Amber, for her part, will crouch and bark at Lucy when I am petting her. [I should add that Lucy was our only dog for six years before we got Amber and is now going on ten.]

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
You are right two goldens are double the trouble but also double the joy.

If you do get another dog you need to get another dog for you not your golden. I still rush off home to be with my two as they anxiously wait by the door together until I get home.

It sounds as though it might be wise for you to wait until your golden settles down a bit more. We added a second golden when our first was much older so we did not have the recall or bouncy dog issues to worry about when we are out visiting.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
I had never had two dogs at the same time until I added Savanah when Chance had been with us for 9 months, (he was almost 2 yrs. old), and I will never have just one dog again. Chance and Savanah were extremely close. He's always been shy and Savanah was a very confident dog. She helped him a lot to over come his anxiety about facing new things.

Here's something else to consider when you have two dogs. When we lost Savanah to hemangio two years later, Chance was a mess. Very depressed, didn't want to play, ate a lot less than he usually did. It was a difficult time for him. He was finally happy again when we adopted Lucy. So if they're used to having another dog around, if you lose one, more than likely you'll need to add another...even if you're not ready, (which I wasn't :().

I love Lucy, but I would have waited awhile...but, Chance couldn't. :eek:

21 - 24 of 24 Posts