Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
<3 Love my boys x
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have one awesome boy and want another boy. Our breeder contacted us to let us know there is a litter due April/May. I have had my name down with her since Aug 2011. Hubby is now trying to convince me that just the one is enough. We have always had 2 or 3 dogs and I feel my boy would just benefit from having a brother around, as would I. He is very much part of our lives in all aspects but at times I think he would like someone of his own kind around. He gets to spend heaps of time with other dogs and just gets crazy excited, although he does prefer people.

Hubby wouldn't be upset at the prospect of 2 just that he thinks 1 is enough. Cost wise it does add up I know especially as I feed my boy only the best and if you include heart worm meds, flea prevention, desexing etc it can get costly. I think that is his main concern although it isn't going to put us in debt or anything.

Do you think it is more beneficial having two dogs or would my boy be forever happy being the only furry one in the family? We have no other pets and he will be 4years old in May.

I have soooooo longed for this second boy but now I am thinking that maybe hubby is correct. Hubby is leaving it up to me to decide and so I need to make a decision asap. :uhoh:

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
We have just one dog, and although he is ecstatic when he sees another dog, and loves to play with other dogs when he can, I think he is perfectly happy being our one boy. For us, medical bills have not been a problem, but they are a great expense for many Golden owners. Maybe investing in pet insurance will keep you from having that worry.
Do you and your husband plan to travel? Doubling the boarding fees can be expensive.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I have a pair of boys and I love it. They wrestle and play together and with two on cold nights both sides of me are toasty warm. LOL. No need for electric blankets even when I travel to far northern Maine.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I think this sounds like a great time to add another dog! Your dog is fully mature but still has plenty of years left to play with the new pup. You do just need to convince your hubby to let you.

I will say that I love going home to my mom's house for breaks and letting Beamer play with her black lab, Sadie! They have a ball together! Sadie is 6 years old. I really wish I could have another pup here at school with Beamer, but I really do want to wait until he is a bit older to add another pup (and also I don't think my mom would go for another dog! That would bring us up to 4!)

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I added a second dog last week. I didn’t get a baby puppy; I rescued a one year lab. Here are my thoughts on adding a second dog.

I love having two dogs in the house. Like others mentioned, two dogs will keep each other company. They will also play with each other which means they tire each other out and not you. Mine are playing “Nascar” in the living room as I type this.. running in circles around the dining room table chasing each other :D:bowl:. Security - They make me feel safe in my house and during walks. Entertainment - Mine are both high energy dogs :)hyper::hyper::hyper:), both are sweet and loving and have two different personalities. They are so funny together! My Charlie (the lab) is protective of me and cautious around strangers while Chloe is my little love bug and wants to meet everyone. I think having a more protective dog and a love bug counter balance each other out. Dont forget about double the love and double the kisses!

Something to keep in mind are cost of owning the dog, food, supplies, vet bills etc, they can sure add up quickly! Oh the fur… its everywhere! The cleaning is twice as much… its been a wet winter here so there is more mud and fur than usual. Training – Charlie was not trained and Chloe is 89% trained and some walks can be a bit more challenging than others, especially when the dogs total body weight is the same as yours. Thank goodness for ez walking harnesses! This is still a new experience for all of us but I find that I miss the “Chloe and Me” time. She wants to play with Charlie all the time and I miss snuggling on the couch, I’m being selfish I know. I am hoping that when the excitement slows done, she will want to snuggle again and hopefully Charlie will join us.

Growing up I had more than one dog at a time. For me having two dogs is second nature. I can see the benefits of having one or two dogs but everyone needs to base the decision on their own situation.

My vote is yes for two dogs! :D

·
<3 Love my boys x
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My vote is yes as well :--big_grin: Would still love to hear everyone else's comments on 1 or 2 so I can use them to explain my reasoning to hubby, just saying "the forum members say...." doesn't work as well without explanations.:--big_grin:

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
We have almost always been a multi dog family. Think it is like having a single child versus more. With one, it is easy to go places, not a lot of expense and everywhere you go a single child/dog is an easy thing. With a single dog you can spoil a bit more since all your attention is for your dog.

Having more children/dogs, they have others to play with when you need to do something else. When mature, they can stay at home together and do fantastically as they have each other. Kids like other siblings to talk to, and think dogs do too. Two dogs seem to watch more for each other and alert you to things we may not pick up on. When our old RB girl fell and arthrits prevented her from getting up, our baby golden came in barking and running back outide. I followed and was able to help old Millie stand. Dogs raised with other animals seem more well rounded, more open to new things while a single dog seems to be a bit more hesitant, wants to glue to Momma/Daddy more. Course you have two to get in trouble so double any trouble one can get into!

Both single and plural dog households have good and bad, but in my family I like more than one. Fits our crazy lifestyle better, so I vote for 2 or better yet more than this!

·
Kristy
9,166 Posts
Great thread! Love hearing different perspectives. I've never had two dogs at a time, even as a kid. When I dog sit though, it is so much fun. I love the analogy with kids, thanks Deber. Our third child has certainly upped the chaos level in our home, but I couldn't imagine life without her. I figure a 2nd dog will be worth more fur (eek) and muddy paws, and we'll find the money for extra costs.

It's definitely a question worthy of careful consideration. Bless you for being so thoughtful with your decision.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I only had a one dog house for a few years when I was a kid but that was more due to my parents. As soon as I got a job I got my second dog, my heart dog Julie my first golden. Ever since then have always had at least two and at times three dogs, like right now. I really feel they get so much out of having another dog companion around, they can be playing with each other one minute and then wanting some snuggling with me the next. I think it makes them easier to live with due to having a friend to play with..
Two is a good number, three does take some more work..never had more so not sure if I would go higher. I would say go for it. The only thing you would have to worry about is the money aspect but if it's doable, then I say take the opporutunity and get a new pup. I'll post a pic of my two boys..who love each other a lot..sometimes too much. The boxer boy is slowing down a lot lately so I'm glad i got lilly to give the jrt someone to play with instead of being bored.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
There are benefits to both. While I have 3 I like having 2 better. One day I look forward to just having ONE that I can give all my attention to and take everywhere. I can't handle taking 2 out at a time because Parker feels he MUST be one of them and he is a handful by himself. I honestly believe if given the opportunity to go with me for a walk or ride, or play with their buddy, they will take me any time and kiss their pal goodbye.

It's too hard leaving one behind when I go so none of them get to go as often as I'd like and I think they love being with me more than the fact that they have each other.

If you take your dog places now will you be able to handle taking 2 by yourself if one turns out to be rowdy? If the one you have now is calm natured having 2 may make him a bit more wound up.

I would just take into consideration how much time you have available to provide care and attention, it is a personal decision you and your husband have to agree to, but 2 are fun. Everything does double though, including hair, poop and expenses.

Hope you can both agree on what would work out well for you!

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Sameli, you make very valid points, sure is something to think about.
I have always had just one dog, but one day, when my old golden had passed on, I ended up getting two dogs. It was a different experience, but a pleasant one. My boys love each other and I did not feel as bad when I had to leave them alone. Well, I was perfectly content with the two but then the stray dachshund came along and made it three. It was not planned but that's the way it goes.
Oh yes, it is more expensive, forget travelling with three dogs unless boarding them and I don't like boarding my dogs, so I/we stay home. Hubby does not like that too much, but oh well, we can't have everything we want.
On the positive note, my golden had to have two surgeries recently and could not play for a long time. So, the other two were entertaining each other and kept from being bored and feeling neglected. Also, if one has to go to the vet, the other two still keep each other company.
Of course, it is a big decision to make timewise, financially etc. just like Sameli stated.
Personally, I have to admit, I also prefer having two dogs vs. three dogs.
Good luck to you with whatever decision you make.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I have a serious miinded Golden in Baylee and my decision to add another Golden was more about what it would mean to my home to add another Golden personality. Baylee didn't need another companion, she is perfectly happy being independent and solitary. When I added Beau to my household it added a piece of joy that was not there before. Beau was a 6 y/o sparkling rescue boy and a Golden that was a true delight. Because of what Beau added to my home I added a third Golden, Baxter. He has a unique personality that is all his own. Beau is no longer with us but having the two complementary personalities in Baylee and Baxter make a perfect match to my home.
So my thoughts when considering adding another Golden tend to be about what the benefit will be to the home environment and how it will change the dynamic of the home. What is that missing piece that a second (or third) Golden will add that doesn't exist now? Of course, the needs of the other Golden(s) in the home enter into the decision making process but the responsibilities of a new dog fall onto the human family and that is where the ultimate consideration should be.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I think another thing to consider is whether you are living in a house or an apartment. Do you have a yard for the dogs? Do you have to hit the pavement around town or do you live close to a park or live in the country? Are you the primary dog walker? Can you handle two dogs on a leash?
I am lucky that I live in the country, have a large property and a large fenced in yard. When I go for walks, I have the two big boys off leash, but the little one leashed, because he will chase anything that moves.
If I lived in town and had to walk around the neighborhood, I would not be able to do it with two or three dogs and I would just have one dog. All things to consider to be fair to you and the dogs.
I have to admit, my previous old golden would not have wanted a brother or sister, he was perfectly contend being an only child. My lab mix was also here first before we added a golden pup almost nine years ago. He was not thrilled at first either having to share mom but he adjusted. Then the two big boys had to adjust to having a third brother. Now they are all happy and well adjusted.
Lots and lots to think about. Whatever you decide has to be a match for all of you and fit into your lifestyles.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Hoping this works, ended up being quite the challenge to getting this..they were laying together so nicely then had to get crazy when i came over to them!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Golden retrievers are like cookies it is so hard to have just one.

Add ADD!

... but only if you have time for it. If it will be a part of the family go ahead as it will bring extra sunshine into your life BUT if they are stuck out in the back yard it is best to resist otherwise it could become your worst night mare.

·
<3 Love my boys x
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hhmmmm :uhoh:.......now I am more confused than ever. Okay so:

1) We have a back yard although he prefers to be inside with us
2) We go for beach walks, around the neighbourhood walks, park walks
3) I need to be on top of things all the time on a walk, especially when off lead, as he can either take off after another human/dog or (his personal fav.) chasing ducks!
4) He loves some rough play with other dogs especially since my boys (the human ones :D) have all left home.

5) He is alone fairly often as I work shifts, (only 3 or 4 a week) Hubby travels regularly for long stretches for work so he is solely my responsibility.
6) All the children have left home and live hours away
7) I stay home a lot because I feel bad leaving him alone so miss out on a lot of social events
8) He looks bored
9) When out he will always approach humans first before dogs, prefers people especially children
10) I have heaps of time to spend teaching him fun tricks
11) He is attached to me more than anyone else but I am his whole world
12) Has separation anxiety because he is with me all the time. Won't sleep or settle and chews his paws till I return from a trip.
13} What to do when we travel...have a friend who loves having him, but two????
14) Can't take two to visit friends, can control one but doubt if I could two, so he would have to stay home

15) The biggest thing though is I would LOVE LOVE LOVE some more golden sunshine in my life.

Would my boy and I both adjust for the better???

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I have had one golden at a time and as many as seven house Goldens. We currently have six. When I added on golden number two, it definitely changed my relationship with golden number one... Not in a bad way, a different way. Our first three Goldens were all spaced five years apart and sadly all died about five years apart. Our first golden was very biddable and not an independent thinker. Golden number two was bred to be able to think. It made her early months a bit difficult . Now six.... That's a whole other kettle of fish.

·
<3 Love my boys x
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hahaha Sally's Mom. I won't let hubby know about your SIX :D it would make him run for the hills, hahaha.

At times I think the relationship between Bodhi and I is bad in a way because I am everything to him which is sometimes not such a healthy thing. Leaning...or should I say dancing...towards getting puppy number two. My children all think Bodhi needs a brother, especially since my youngest left home and he just has me, and sometimes my hubby.

Loving hearing about everyone else's experiences, keep them coming.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I would get another dog! I have had up to three. My 8 year old girl was a only dog for almost a year when our last dog passed away last Christmas. I was unsure to get another, because she is fighting cancer, but I am so happy I did it. The new pup brings so much joy to not only my older dog's life, but the older dog brings so much joy to the pups life, and of course they both bring much joy to my life! There have been many days that have passed that I have forgotten my one girl is fighting cancer. I will never just have one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts