Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2 yr old GD is eating, pooping and peeing as normal, but over the last two days, he has been tired and is showing zero interest in play.
He is walking fine and I see no outward signs of him in pain or illness. In the past when he has been ill he would scoot rather than walk.

I don't know if I should call the vet or just see if he perks up over the next few days.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,273 Posts
I would call your Vet today to see if you can get your dog examined as soon as possible.
From what you've said, it's not normal for a 2 yr. old to not be interested in playing unless they have been exercising a lot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am a helicopter Mama. If I haven't seen any improvement in two days I would make a vet appointment. Hope your baby perks up soon.
Thank you. I wish I could pinpoint it, but as he is eating and doing all the other things fine, I am stumped. He is just tired and doesn't want to play not even with my daughter. Normally the two of them are chasing each other around the house.?

·
4,940 Posts
This is a tough one. If there hasn't been any improvement, I'd try to get in to the vet today. Since it's Friday, if your pup doesn't improve you could end up with the cost of an emergency weekend vet visit or the dreaded choice to wait until Monday.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would call your Vet today to see if you can get your dog examined as soon as possible.
From what you've said, it's not normal for a 2 yr. old to not be interested in playing unless they have been exercising a lot.
He has not been over exercised for sure. When I walked him earlier he was slow but his tail was up and he was sniffing about as usual. The only recent change to his routine is that my husband is on an extended business trip to DC and not been home.
He is tired and sullen looking. I mean all dogs give you those sad eyes, but he looks and seems sad.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
This is a tough one. If there hasn't been any improvement, I'd try to get in to the vet today. Since it's Friday, if your pup doesn't improve you could end up with the cost of an emergency weekend vet visit or the dreaded choice to wait until Monday.
Thank you for the reply. I will call the vet and see if I can get Billy seen today.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I hope your Billy is b etter... My Neeko is my dog, and when I leave for a night, he is mopey, and sad....Is Billy attached to your husband?? He could be missing him... I almost took Neeko to the vet one day when I came home from my overnight stay with my mom...Hubby said he was very mopey...But he perked up as soon as he saw me....Good Luck.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope your Billy is b etter... My Neeko is my dog, and when I leave for a night, he is mopey, and sad....Is Billy attached to your husband?? He could be missing him... I almost took Neeko to the vet one day when I came home from my overnight stay with my mom...Hubby said he was very mopey...But he perked up as soon as he saw me....Good Luck.....
I did wonder about that too but Billy us used to my husband going away on business travel.

Anyways, I did take him to the vet. Billy has a fever, but heart etc was fine. So vet has taken bloods. Hopefully will have results soon and in the meantime prescribed the antibiotic Kesium for the next 7 days

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
My thoughts go to tick borne illness.... I'd have him checked.

·
Registered
96 Posts
When our dog (and past dogs) have ever showed a noticeable difference in their behavior, even if they are eating, that is a red flag for me. If it was still the same after a couple of days I would make a trip to the vet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The first thing I think of when my dog is low key is a possible tick disease (especially Lyme). Do you know if your vet is running a comprehensive blood panel for tick diseases?
I got the call from the vet about an hour after we came home. Blood work shows inflammation so I am going back to pick up Metacam for Billy. Vet will give more detailed information about the results then. This morning he is much the same so I hope the Metacam will help with the pain the inflammation is causing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When our dog (and past dogs) have ever showed a noticeable difference in their behavior, even if they are eating, that is a red flag for me. If it was still the same after a couple of days I would make a trip to the vet.
It's my first dog and tbh, it was only in the last few days he was being lethargic and not wanting to play. Even on his walks, Billy has always liked to meander unless in the company of other dogs where he does run about. There were no other signs of illness except for that tiredness. But I am glad I went to the vet and hopefully he will start to recover

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you everyone for your help. The Metacam seems to be working. Vet has prescribed it for the next 10 days. Within an hour of giving Billy his dose he perked up and wanted to play. He is continuing to show improvement. Early days but I am so relieved and thankful.

·
Super Moderator
1,223 Posts
Thank you everyone for your help. The Metacam seems to be working. Vet has prescribed it for the next 10 days. Within an hour of giving Billy his dose he perked up and wanted to play. He is continuing to show improvement. Early days but I am so relieved and thankful.

Glad to hear he's on the mend!

·
Registered
781 Posts
If the tests that were run didn't identify the infection, I would recommend talking to the vet about extending his antibiotic treatment. Antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory will mask Lyme Disease and other tick borne illness symptoms for awhile but a 7 day course of Kesium is not enough to actually get rid of a Lyme infection. And the Metacam is only treating a symptom, unfortunately, not the cause.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am glad to hear he appears to be improving. It is so stressful when something is wrong and we don't know what we can do to fix it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts