Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Found my Golden boy!
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rescued 2 feral female cats 3 years ago. I put a kitty door in and they are indoor/outdoor cats. Their door goes into my large warm laundry room. When they meow we let them in.

Well, the woman who gave Jake to me said hes good with small animals, so I figured hed be good with our cats. Our cats I think in time can warm up to him.

One cat is named Princess, she came to the back glass door and I left it open a crack so Jake couldnt get out. My cats just stood and sat there. Jake sat and stared. Then I brought Princess into my sons room and put her on his bed. Again they can see each other but the baby gate prevents Jake from getting her. Princess can come out any time she pleases. They can both touch through the slats if they want to.

Do you think this is a good way of them getting to know each other. I think if I put them in the same room Jake will just be so excited he may pounce on them and the cats might say no way forever LOL

Last night, I went to let Jake out back and didnt see Bella. Her white must have blended with the snow. He took off after her and she ran as fast as she could and jumped over the fence. I dont think she came home last night either. Im worried about this.

Ideas? Tips? The cats dirtied their kitty beds so bad I just threw them out and gave them a box with towels, which they actually seem to prefer. Should I bring those towels out for Jake to sniff? Would that help?

Just so you know I would never give Jake or my babies away. We will figure something out :)

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
You might try putting a leash on Jake and bring him into a room where you've placed one of the cats - pick the least excitable cat if you can. Lead Jake into the room and let them meet each other. The minute Jake runs after the cat or gets too excited correct him and make him do a sit/stay. Once Jake is calm, pet the cat and then pet him saying things like "gentle, gentle. Be nice." Do this a couple of times each day with both cats until everyone is comfortable with each other and also do this in other areas of the house.
(I had a Rottie/GSD who was great with his 3 cats but the minute he saw a cat outside the house the chase was on - never could break him of this)

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I totally agree. One of my fosters was like that with my cats. My cats are used to dogs with having 4 and learn to take things in stride, but I had to make her not chase them. Using the leash really helps. And make sure the cats have a safe place they can go without him being able to get them. I have a baby gate up at a bedroom where I keep their litter boxes.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
You could try putting the cats in a large crate, with a litterbox if needed, and then bringing Jake into the same room. Give him a bone or a stuffed kong to keep him busy and distracted, so he has something else to do besides focus on the cats. That way the cats are safe and can't get hurt (or run) and he can be in the same space but have the bone to chew on. Pretty soon the cats will figure out he isn't going to harm them and relax, and he'll start to get used to them as 'furniture' and look elsewhere (he may associate the cats with laying down and chewing on the bone eventually).

Always have an 'out' for the cats too, like a baby gate or tall scratching post, so they can get away if they have to. Our cat settled in with the dogs pretty well and now knows who will leave her alone and who is more likely to bug her, and she gets out of the way.

Lana

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I always left a space underneath the baby gate so my cat could duck under and not have to jump over. Granted she's a senior, but after watching goldens catch flying birds, I didn't want to create something exciting & felt it was always a quicker escape for her to go under. I agree with the leash...do not let him chase the cats. I would also be working on the "leave it" command.

·
Debbie
644 Posts
Baby gates are the answer in our house. Although Riley was a pup when we got her and the cats showed her that she was the "guest" in the house, as she has become a teen she has been tormenting them more and more. We put gates up so the cats can get away. When Riley is calm they are out with us. When she gets in her manic "gotta chase anything that runs from me" mode they retreat behind the gates.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Max loves cats too. Wouldn't harm a hair on their fluffy little heads. He enjoys playing chase as well, as dogs like to play with each other. My cats do not get that he doesn't mean them harm, he just wants to play. Just because your new dog chases cats, it doesn't mean that he's not "good with small animals." My Willow is an old lady and she still enjoys a good cat chasing up the stairs from time to time.

I think one of the hardest lessons learned is how much thought and planning and preparation really needs to go into having a new dog - especially a puppy. And at 11 months old, he may look grown up, but he's still a big baby. I know when I got Willow, we had a lot more whoopsies because we didn't really know what to expect. This time around, I know what to expect so I have been able to avoid some of the pitfalls from before. It's a living and learning process. Just try really hard to think ahead as much as you can, even about small insignificant things - and after a bumpy start, everything will work out. Please don't hold the missing cat thing against your puppy - I'm sure you are very sad and I hope that your kitty is located very soon. Have you left food out? Spent time sitting outside the door by yourself quietly waiting for the kitty to approach you? When she comes home, which I have high hopes she will / or that she may never have gone very far, perhaps she should be an indoor kitty because this may happen again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts