Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riley can chew! Boy can he chew! Now, I don't mean that he destroys our stuff - he is actually really great about that. He has never chewed up or destroyed any of our household items - so I have it pretty good. But my issue is finding toys for him. Anything I give him as his own is immediately destroyed. He can chew through any bone, toy, rope, ball, etc in record time. We need new balls every ten minutes when we play fetch and its hard to buy chew toys and bones as fast as he can obliterate them! Its unbelievable, I've never seen a dog chew through things so fast. He does the same things with his beds - chews them up and rolls around in them!

Are any of your dogs such big chewers? What type of bones/toys/etc do you give them?

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,624 Posts
Check out www.mydogtoy.com and look for the most durable toys. I've bought several stuffed animals for Gunner and it takes him a while to tear into these. None have been destroyed. I also get him the deer or elk antlers.

Reactions: mayapaya

·
Registered
79 Posts
Our almost 10 month old pup is a pretty aggressive chewer as well. We have a dozen Nylabones that we rotate through, giving her a "new" one once a day. So far, we haven't had to replace any, though she's definitely made progress in chewing them up. We also create "mega-toys" using Hol-ee Rollers -- they're kind of a ball made of stretchy rubber webbing. Since they're hollow and stretchable, it's easy to combine other toys with them. She's more interested in shaking them than chewing them, especially when we put other toys or balls inside.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Our Tobey, is now 2 years old... He is a very voracious chewer... As a puppy, he destroyed his set of nylabone keys.... regular Nylabones stand no chance, he's gone threw at least 3 nylabone rings, several "heavy duty" nylabones, and totally destroyed level 10 tough toys in a matter of minutes...

We did find a rubber ball that he didn't destroy... but primarily because he took no interest in it...

We gave him a large antler, and that's lasted many months... however... this is a big however... he did chip/crack a tooth on it... We'll be getting it pulled sometime this month :( so just be careful if you choose an antler...

good luck!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Maya is a voracious chewer also. We are down to our last "toy"--the Kong Wooba Wooba, which she just recently managed to rip into--every other toy has been destroyed. When I was visiting my local Krisers the other day explaining my issues with Maya, he suggested that any "toys" be put away unless you are playing with them (retreiving, etc.) so they don't have alone time on their hands to rip into them. I'm going to try this. I have also gotten antlers, but Maya loses interest in them pretty quickly. I have to rub them with a slice of apple or soak them in chicken broth to regain her interest--but she hasn't destroyed it yet! Bully sticks don't last long so I abandoned those a while ago--they are now only a special treat. The only other item tat has lasted around here is the Starmark treat balls they sell at Petsmart. We have the large one, and I will it with a mixture of treats and cheerios--she rolls it around with her nose to get the treats to fall out, and rarely attempts to chew on it! Will be keeping an eye on this thread for more suggestions!!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
My boy LOVES his Kong Wobbler- he hasn't chewed it but he is also not a chewer, even at 12 months. My neighbor across the street has a 21 month old Golden and he is a HUGE chewer!!!!!! He destroys everything!!!!! The only toy that has lasted with him is his Kong stuff toy (he has the red one). It has lasted him for a year+. When they moved her it was the only toy they moved with because it was the only one still intact. He chewes through rope toys, balls, rawhides (he has to be watched with these because he bites off huge chucks and swallows them). My neighbor bought the Kong Wobbler for her boy recently and although is has some marks on it, but so far it is still intact. They make a Black Kong stuff toy (black is for "extreme chewers") , I bought the black for my boy to be on the safe side. Good luck ;^)

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
www.goughnuts.com has toys that are made for super chewers. They're T-O-U-G-H!!! And guaranteed too. They have chew sticks and balls too.

·
Registered
788 Posts
We have the same issue with Nyah. She can't have any ropes... she has a few stuffed toys which are put away unless we can watch her. She does have a large plush dog that's her baby so she doesn't destroy that but she gets into everything else.

Theres a few toys that I have found to be super durabled. The large heavy duty nylabone knot toy.... though word of caution do not leave them along with it... Nyah tried to rip peices off, but it is in good condition still. Also The kong rubber toys are very durable (Nyah has the large stick looking one).

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Just a warning on rawhide bones. We learned this lesson the hard way. Our dog Buddy cracked his tooth on one. We had to have it removed. The vet told us, never give a dog anything to chew on that you would not be willing to whack your knee with. He felt you could cause major dental damage if the object was too hard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts