Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been raining a lot here and Caleb could use some mental stimulation since he's not getting as much park play time. So I've been trying to teach him the names of different objects. I picked two of his favorite toys (jollyball and nylabone) and he does ok if I just stick with one, but he gets really confused if I ask him to touch the other one.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Get the book 101 Dog Tricks. It is great for helping with stuff like this. I think there is even an exercise about this exact thing. I'll scan and/or type it next time I have the book out.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
clicker would be useful in this situation. Use it to reinforce the desired behavior when you just have one toy out. After he has this down fairly consistent, introduce the second toy. Now, lower your standards and if he even looks at the 2nd toy click and treat! After he looks a few times you can withold clicking until he takes a step. Then two, three, and so on. AFter he has the second one down fairly good you can start to test him by mixing the two commands.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Bock! I've been using a clicker, but I think I introduced the second object too quickly. Also, I was talking to my husband about this, when my he lets Caleb out of his crate in the morning, he tells him to get his nylabone (which we keep in the crate at night and out of the crate during the day). When I was telling Caleb to get his nylabone, about half the time he would run off down the hallway looking for it... because it's always in his crate when DH tells him to get it. :doh: Poor guy. I guess I was really confusing the heck out of him.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Haha, yeah start out in a spot with no distractions when you do that. Remember, not to add a cue until your SURE he will do what you want him to do! Also, remember that when you test him on both commands to lower your standards again. He may take a step towards the nylabone and look at you unsure-go ahead and click that.

You will probably want to get nylabone done to a cue BEFORE you EVER introduce the second toy. After nylabone is on cue and he does it consistently with verbal command then thats when you introduce the second one. Good luck!

If you get this trained you can start getting him trained to pick all his toys up which is pretty cool!

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
just a little off topic.

can they be trained to recognise many objects as the assistance dogs do at home for the disabled?

i was wanting to teach mine to go get the vacuum, suck up his hairs.

put the kettle on for coffee

run me a bath

you know the simple pleasures in life.
if he really wants to make me happy he should know how to do all these things and more.

oh yeah, i wanna teach him carpentry too so i can sleep all day, pee hourly and he can bring home the bacon.

·
Bailey Boy's Pop
410 Posts
just a little off topic.

can they be trained to recognise many objects as the assistance dogs do at home for the disabled?

i was wanting to teach mine to go get the vacuum, suck up his hairs.

put the kettle on for coffee

run me a bath

you know the simple pleasures in life.
if he really wants to make me happy he should know how to do all these things and more.

oh yeah, i wanna teach him carpentry too so i can sleep all day, pee hourly and he can bring home the bacon.

hahahahahahahahaha this is great......

·
Scouts Mom
844 Posts
Scout has become good at retrieving certian objects I ask for, and ones I don't ask for. She loves playing this game in the evening when I'm watching tv and having my snack (which I share with her). She knows ball, duck, shoe, and kong.

The only problem is once she's done retrieving the objects I call for she doesn't want to stop there. She will walk around the house and bring me anything she can find in exchange for a treat. My husband used to think this was cute and he would give her a treat for her findings, I admit I did it too a few times but it got old quick so I stopped. A few weeks ago we had friends over to watch a movie and she brought out my husbands dirty boxer shorts, and two socks all at once! It was so funny! My friend was sitting there with a bowl of popcorn and Scout comes up to her with two socks and a pair of underwear hanging out of her mouth and drops them right on her lap and just looks at her like I'm such a good girl! :p:

Seriously though, this is a good trick to teach but try not to let it go too far like we did. Even if you teach him to get your slippers for you they are going to be slobbery and you wont want to wear them anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts