Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wrote and posted an article with some special considerations for noise-sensitive dogs and New Year's Eve. Dogs who struggle with thunderstorms and fireworks often react to the sound of gunfire which, unfortunately, is a common celebration tactic in many communities on New Year's Eve.

If interested, you can find it here:
Keep Your Dog Safe on New Year's Eve - Los Angeles Dogs | Examiner.com

If you're part of a rescue group, please consider sharing the link. The more people we remind about this, the better off dogs will be!

Thanks!
Stephanie

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Thank you. Last year Ben reacted very badly to the neighbors setting off fireworks in front of our house. It took months for him to calm down again when thunder was around. I'm hoping we won't have a repeat this year, but am afraid it will. He wouldn't eat last year when he got upset, but we'll try with higher value treats this time. And he knows that the space under my husband's desk is safe. That's where he goes to hide. Daddy will protect him!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
When we moved to the midwest, we were totally shocked on New Years that people shot off fireworks. Coming from Massachusetts, where they are illegal, we never heard them on New Years. Thanks for the reminder.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts