Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some tips to get our puppy (15 weeks) to relax in the morning and hold off on getting us all up. Bedtime is usually around 11, give or take 45 min. depending on if it's a weekend. She tends to scratch and whine around 6:00. That's not a huge problem, but once we take her out to pee and poop, she then thinks it's time to eat. Crating her after that is usually a problem as she will bark and cry...which wakes up our two daughers (4 and 1).

-Sometimes we will feed her 1/2 of her morning food and then crate her.
-Once we completely ignored her morning noise and she had an accident.
-Ideally, we'd like her going to about 7.
-It might be harder since I wake up earlier for work, but a lot of times, she is earlier than me.
-Her last meal of the day is around 5. Would pushing this back help at all?

Thanks!

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
She's still pretty little. If she had an accident, maybe she scratches when we really needs to go. When she gets bigger and you can know for sure holding time isn't an issue, you'll have to go back to the ignoring her and not letting her out until she's quiet for a few minutes. In time she'll learn that scratching does not equal humans coming.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it's a toss up for us right now knowing if she's really got to go or not. Then of course it's a double edge knife for us because we don't want to let her go all that long barking, because of our little ones.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hmmm...I have a 10 week old puppy and he was getting up at 5:30am (when my husband gets up). He does still need to get up usually around that time to go to the bathroom but my husband puts him back in the crate and he will settle down until around 6:00-6:30. This morning he slept until 7am. Maybe you can throw a blanket over the crate? We haven't done that but I have read some people do.

Good luck...we were hoping to sleep in til 9am over the holiday weekend but that was wishful thinking with a newer puppy! :)

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Right now it could be a little iffy cause she is so young. and some but try to get away from her associating food with getting up. It may bot seem like a long time but making her wait 5 minutes and then 10 minutes and then 15 will go a long way towards her not associating eating with waking up. You can also start to do the same thing with potty time in the morning. but I would do that by 1 minute then 2 minutes, etc cause their bladders are only so big.

We did that with Tinkerbell. And from the time she was a year old if not earlier we get up in the morning, I use the bathroom, take a shower and then think about letting her out. After she comes in she waits another 30-45 minutes and then eats. Sometimes she is like ok now its my turn let me out others she's like no way I'm still sleepy. It just depends. But if she ever really wants out I let her out cause obviously there is a reason.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Shift things five minutes at a time - don't let her out till 6:05, then 6:10.... and also don't feed her anytime close to when she gets up. Around here usually they're pretty good, but they know by 8 pm it's going to be dinnertime, and that's when they start barking and reminding me if they're outside.... smart dogs!

Lana

·
Griff's a Muffin Thief!
3,165 Posts
She probably can't hold it more than 7 hours at her age. Try getting her out one last time at midnight. Yes, that means you have to go to bed an hour later but we all make little sacrifices for babies. ;) Try the 11:00 bedtime in another couple of weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts