Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Tiny to the vet today for her routine senior exam, bloodwork, urinalysis, and to discuss a few issues.
I have to wait until tomorrow for the results of the bloodwork and urinalysis. The last 2 blood tests her liver enzymes were mildly elevated, so hopefully they will be no worse this time.
Her heart and lungs sound clear and strong, and look great on x-ray. Her heart is not enlarged, and he sees no evidence of *anything* in her lungs. So that was great news.
One thing I wanted to discuss with him is the growth on her ear. It's gotten rather large, about the size of a half-dollar coin, and it seems to bother her because I've caught her scratching at it and she rubs it on the sofa, which makes it break open and bleed a little. I'm concerned because of how awful Toby's tumor had gotten, it bled like crazy quite often, but at least it was on his leg where I could keep it wrapped. On an ear, not so easy. But with her turning 15 in a few weeks, I sure hesitate to put her under if I can avoid it.
Also, Tiny has had several bad teeth pulled over the past few years, so I wanted him to check her teeth and see if there is anything smoldering along in her mouth that needs to be dealt with.
So our game plan is that he is going to put her under with propofol (sp?) and not the whole general anesthesia, and check her mouth. IF it appears that he needs to extract teeth, he will go ahead and do the full anesthesia. If not, he will remove the growth from her ear with the propofol and a local, and lightly scale the worst couple teeth. So that sounds like a good plan to me.
The other thing, the harder thing, is that she's starting to act stiff when she gets up, and I think is having some pain in her back end. He took an xray of her spine, and apparently she has quite a lot of arthritis in her spine, which he thinks might be accounting for a big part of her pain. He's going to xray her hips and knees when she's "under" for the ear growth, he thought it would be much less stressful for her that way.
He did add another drug to her regimen, for the next 3 weeks I'm to give her amantadine. If her liver values are okay, we're also going to increase her rimadyl, she's getting a real small dose right now.
Then, based on the results of the xrays and how she responds to the amantadine and more rimadyl, we're going to discuss adding acupuncture and/or cold laser therapy.
So keep fingers crossed for her blood/urine results to be good!
Everyone at the clinic says she is amazing. They say she is by far the most mobile dog they see at that age. So that's awesome!

·
Premium Member
18,413 Posts
I think you need to start a Senior Dog Wellness Seminar series, you do an outstanding job giving your old Gold long, healthy lives!

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
Sounds like a great report all things considered! Keeping my fingers crossed that the blood work come back fine and the sedation will be enough - and the growth can be easily removed.

Reactions: hotel4dogs

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Sounds good to me... Hope it all goes well....

·
every moment is a gift
3,127 Posts
Thrilled to hear the mostly good news on Tiny!

A friend's dog who's almost 14 has had several masses removed with the light anesthesia (and lots of local) in the last year. I hope her teeth are in good shape and the light is all she needs :crossfing Also crossing fingers and toes for good news on the bloodwork and UA.

I hope the amantadine gives some relief to her (and you) too.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Congratulations on an excellent report! I'm so happy for you and for Tiny. We all need lessons!

Deramaxx worked wonders for Charlie when his arthritis was an issue. For Sabrina, Adequan injections were the magic elixer that gave back mobility.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tiny gets adequan injections weekly, and they have really helped her a lot, too. But until we're sure what's *wrong*, we can't really come up with a good treatment plan that will incorporate traditional and non-traditional treatments.
She still plays with Tito constantly. Well except tonight, she's tired! They were laughing at her at the vet's office, someone had given Tito a toy to carry around and Tiny kept taking it from him. Not bad for almost 15 years old :) :) :)

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
All things considered, a pretty good check up. Good for Tiny. She is quite a remarkable girl. I will be thinking good thoughts her procedure goes well and her blood tests come back good too.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Almost 15! Wow - that just puts such a smile on my face. I hope all the tests come back with only positive results. Keeping my fingers crossed! :crossfing

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Tiny

Praying all of Tiny's exams come back well!!

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Keeping everything crossed here for Tiny - hope you get good results

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I sure hope and pray they only need to do the light anesthesia.:crossfing

Just think - you could have had a rat terrier instead.:curtain:

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Checking in for the lab results. Hoping all is well!

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just now got the lab results, here's part of the email from my vet:

"...Tiny's labs look similar to last time. ALT was 169 (was 133). The Alk Phos was 367 (was 316). These are pretty negligible differences. I am OK with increasing the Carprofen to 100mg daily, but I will want to recheck these levels in 3 weeks to be safe...."

So they look pretty good to me! In a much younger dog, those values would concern me, but Toby's were much higher than that for the last 6 years of his life and it evidently never caused him any harm. Thus, we're good to go for her removal of the growth on her ear (about the size of a half-dollar coin) and a dental check.

I remember reading somewhere that arthritis can raise the ALP, and since I know hers is pretty bad, I'm guessing (hoping) that's why the value is up, not because of anything going on in her liver. The ALT is such a little bit above normal it's not even really noteworthy.

Reactions: hubbub

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
That is good news! Let us know when the procedure is scheduled and we will light candles for Tiny and you!

I agree about those numbers. It's not a significant change. The 3 week recheck will be important as you know. Hopefully it will be the same or even less.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Sorry about the growth on her ear and arthritis. But not bad for almost 15yrs!

I remember reading somewhere that arthritis can raise the ALP, and since I know hers is pretty bad, I'm guessing (hoping) that's why the value is up, not because of anything going on in her liver.
I believe my vet has told me the same thing, back when I had Tucker.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts