Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
9 years ago my son read a post on a forum regarding an abandoned golden just south of our home. Having lost our golden girl less than a year before, he was saddened to see someone treat a dog so terribly. We watched the subject line grow over the next few days, as more people posted about this boy searching for the truck that had dumped him on the busy highway, and it became evident that he was truly left to fend for himself.
On a cold cloudless afternoon in October we went by the pet store and grabbed a bag of treats in hope of catching this fella, with plans to take him to a rescue organization in a town not too far away.
We spent hours looking, knocking on doors and combing the nearby streets in hopes of finding someone who might have seen him. As the sun began to set, we decided to make our way home, as we were unable to locate the fella.
I turned the car around and aimed for home, sad to think he'd be facing another cold night alone wondering what he'd done to deserve such a fate.
As we were pulling away from the intersection where he'd been spotted, with the afternoon sun blaring in our eyes we noticed something trotting down the double yellow lines in the middle of the highway. And there he was, as if on queue, galloping directly at us as if to say "hey, wait up I'm here"
After luring him into the car with treats, we headed home with this golden boy, the treasure he'd soon become not yet realized. It took 3 full hours in the shower to fully realize the extent of his injuries. Deep cuts to his face that would never heal remain today, and as I look in his eyes, I still wonder what his life was like before our meeting.
We never quite made it to the rescue group, I promised we'd take him, after he was neutered, after the heart worm treatment....after....after....

Our daughter moved back home, with 2 small kids right after we brought Hank in. Both children were lost and confused in the aftermath of their parents break up. Hank became their muse, their closest confidant, their best friend.
We all know, time marches on, and none of us escape the inevitable.
So I'm here, seeking solace in the presence of others who understand....who've been there. When a companion is showing signs of being ready to let go, even when we aren't.
Hank had a major seizure last month, then 2 last night. He lost control of his bladder this time.
Our vet put him on phenobarb today, thinks it's most likely, at his age, a brain tumor, he's slept hard since. Upon waking, he's been leaning against me for all he's worth, as if to hug me extra snug, saying his goodbyes.
My son, who's now in college, is nearly a thousand miles away, his life is just beginning, while his childhood pal's is coming to an end.
And my grand children? They're going to be devastated. They've never known a day where Hank didn't do a dance at the sight of them coming up the walk.
And then there's me. When this boy goes, I'll be alone in this huge house. 15 years retired, the thought of starting over with housebreaking another pup is too much at my age.

If you're the type to say a prayer, do so for my boy. Pray I see the signs and let him go before he's in more pain than should be allowed.
I'm going to try to post a few pictures here, in this quiet corner of the internet, so I can return from time to time and remember this boy and the days of letting him go...

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I am so sorry. Sweet Hank's story brings tears to my eyes because I, like many others, know your pain. Clearly he was destined to be a part of your family. Treasure these days. I will pray for you to have wisdom and courage about the final act of love for Hank.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Beautiful boy and precious life you gave him and so much joy. The joy and gift he gave you does help - he will always be with you.
I am praying for you and him. You will do what he needs when it is time.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,854 Posts
I can tell from your words how loved, special and treasured Hank is. He found a very special place in all your hearts. Regardless of what his life was like before he joined your family, I know this time has been more than he could have ever hoped for or imagined.

My thoughts and prayers are with you all and especially with your beautiful Hank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2 more seizures tonight, not nearly as severe as last night. There's nothing new in our home. Nothing has been introduced or changed. All of his seizures have occurred at around 10 pm. It's puzzling.

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
Hank has always been loved and loved back unconditionally. He is deeply embedded in the heart history of your family. What a gift to hold onto now and in the future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well, we're coming up on 2 weeks seizure free.
Hank is 78 pounds and was on 100mg phenobarb bid, though that dose had him so snowed he couldn't even hold his head up, much less walk or function in any way, shape or form. While he's now up and moving on 50mg bid, my fear is that the dose will not be therapeutic and keep him out of danger of future seizures. Has anyone here used CBD for seizures? If so, can you help guide me on brand/dose ect?
We're scheduled to go back to the vet in 2 weeks, we live out in the sticks and our vet is not a very "out of the box" in the way of her approach to treatment.
I'm hoping to strike a balance here. We have no delusions. He most likely has a brain tumor, is too old for sedation/imaging. We just want to give him the best chance we can for the time he has left.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,854 Posts
Great to hear Hank has been seizure free for two weeks.
Speak with your Vet regarding the use of CBD, it could cause side effects of any meds he's currently taking. If your Vet says to add it, he should be able to tell you a brand and dosage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great to hear Hank has been seizure free for two weeks.
Speak with your Vet regarding the use of CBD, it could cause side effects of any meds he's currently taking. If your Vet says to add it, he should be able to tell you a brand and dosage.
I went by to see her today. She's never worked with CBD and had nothing to offer in the way of advice one way or the other. We're leaving the phenobarb at 50mg bid since he's tolerating it so well. We'll go for blood work in 2 weeks and proceed from there. We're walking 1/2 mile 2 or 3 times a day, he seems to feel pretty good.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,854 Posts
I went by to see her today. She's never worked with CBD and had nothing to offer in the way of advice one way or the other. We're leaving the phenobarb at 50mg bid since he's tolerating it so well. We'll go for blood work in 2 weeks and proceed from there. We're walking 1/2 mile 2 or 3 times a day, he seems to feel pretty good.
Sorry your Vet didn't have any info for you.

There is a lot of CBD products on the market that are not pure, have a lot of other ingredients in them and a lot of them claim to do things they actually do not......

Do a lot of Research if you decide to go that route.

The FDA issued a warning a few weeks ago about CBD causing liver problems in Humans and currently it is unknown if it affects dog's liver. More research is needed.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I just had to put my 14.5 yr old Border Collie to sleep the end of last year. Her time really had been up in July, but CBD (Full Spectrum..not from industrial hemp that has no CBD) extended her life for those wonderfully happy (she became puppy like with more energy) 6 months. (I used no pharmaceuticals, since this was an old age thing).
I used ONLY the real deal CBD oil from my human dispensary..Less than .3% THC (THC is bad news for dogs) and she tolerated it easily with no side effects. My own vet who is prohibited from discussing anything cannabis was and is ASTONISHED!

Will it always work in every case? DOUBTFUL, but in my dog's case, (as well as my own) I sing the praises of CBD and Cannabis in general (where legal).

One problem with the FDA article is that the federal laws still treat anything but industrial hemp as illegal, and the FDA is obviously a federal agency that tows the line!
Here is a quote from the a fore mentioned article..Please notice two words in particular.
EXTREMELY (high doses) and MICE. (early stages). Almost anything in EXTREMELY high doses can be toxic to the liver..(Like Alcohol for example.)
Mice are great test animals, but they are rodents and not mammals.

• "A new study shows evidence that extremely high doses of CBD can be damaging to the liver.
  • But experts say this research, which was done in mice, is still in the early stages, and more information is needed.
  • CBD isn’t regulated by the Food and Drug Administration, but the agency has been cracking down on companies claiming certain health benefits from taking CBD. "
Bottom line..imo
Unbiased UNFETTERED research is still needed, and not only by the government of the USA (which holds a few Cannabis related patents BTW), but by REAL science that is not influenced by Big Pharma, religion, or politics (Big Pharma is actively trying to synthesize the cannabinoids that seem to be medicinal in South America as not to run afoul of the law in the states. There is simply too much money to be had to avoid the possible benefits to the bottom line . When/if they are successful..The federal government will fall in line.
(disclaimer: I do NOT work for SSR, or anyone else....happily retired)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts