Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This may be a dumb question. I wanted to ask the breeders on this forum when do you like to have contact from a prospective puppy owner? If that person is not going to be ready for a pup for 2-3 years is it better for them to wait to contact you?

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
Life changes in 2-3 years- but if you have a special job for puppy, yes, that far ahead. If not, and are planning to start looking for a pet, at least a year if your breeder is typically booked up. At least among the breeders I speak to regularly, good breeders are usually planning a couple litters ahead, and their litters are spoken for to the extent they take interest on litters before they are born. Some breeders will take deposits for 2 of each gender and an 'I don't care' person and then fill in once puppies are here. Some have smaller litters which means disappointing someone and larger litters which means someone gets in on a possible puppy without having been on list for months.
Never a dumb question.

·
the party's crashing us
4,235 Posts
If you want a pet puppy, yes 2-3 years is too far out.
Sorry I think it would just be annoying to string someone along (meaning me as a breeder) for that long just to sell one puppy I can sell in a flash, when there are so many variables between now and then.
Only exception would be some amazing show/performance home, but even then, it's just so far away. Yes we all have breedings planned for down the road but SO RARELY do all the stars align and end up with the perfect puppy for the perfect home 3 years later.
I would wait and start making calls when you're ready to buy.

·
Kristy
9,390 Posts
.... The last thing I want to do is annoy a breeder I am interested in.
If you've fallen in love with a specific breeder's dogs, you can always tell them so and ask if they have a facebook page for their kennel and would they mind letting you 'follow' them. If the breeder is active in training and showing her dogs it can be a lot of fun to see what they do and maybe it will inspire you to do the same with your next puppy. You can learn a lot by following a good group of Golden people :) Plus if you stick around, it may help the breeder see that you won't buy a puppy and disappear. Obviously this isn't the case with all breeders but if you're wanting to get involved with training and showing your Golden, it can be nice to spend your wait time learning and developing a little bit of a relationship.

·
where the tails wag
13,359 Posts
This :)

Plus doing the following might allow the breeder to get to know you better which almost always helps with deciding who gets a puppy.

If you've fallen in love with a specific breeder's dogs, you can always tell them so and ask if they have a facebook page for their kennel and would they mind letting you 'follow' them. If the breeder is active in training and showing her dogs it can be a lot of fun to see what they do and maybe it will inspire you to do the same with your next puppy. You can learn a lot by following a good group of Golden people :) Plus if you stick around, it may help the breeder see that you won't buy a puppy and disappear. Obviously this isn't the case with all breeders but if you're wanting to get involved with training and showing your Golden, it can be nice to spend your wait time learning and developing a little bit of a relationship.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I don't care how often pet/companion people contact me, but I warn them that I don't breed every year, and right now I only have one girl available to breed. I don't keep a list, but I will try to help people if they want my assistance. I also tell them to watch my Facebook page because it gets updated whenever I am planning, breeding, whelping, etc. If you fall in love with a particular breeder's dogs, ask them the best way to stay in touch, and then do it. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts