Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if you use the crate for a time-out? I feel at times like I'm not really using the crate much, since I'm with her most of the day(she does sleep in it at night), and take her most everywhere I go in the car, to drop off kids or pick them up for example. Just a few minutes ago she was getting ornery and was attacking my head and hair(she likes doing this on occassion) and I put her in her crate(we call it the condo), put on classical music for her and after 30 to 45 seconds of whining, all got quiet. I need a nap!

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Of course I sometimes use the crate for a time out! Although I'm not as nice as you, by putting classical music on! Things are going well?

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Yep...not as much anymore but when he needs quite time or when I need quite time the crate is good for that. I am home all day so Murphy only goes in at night or when we all leave the house at the same time (not very often). Chester sleeps in crate by choice with the door open.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Things are going well with Maggie. She loves the outdoors and playing in the snow. I keep her busy and she keeps me busy going outside. She loves chewing on anything she can find! She brings me presents outside. A few of her gifts are: twigs, acorn tops, big sticks and branches and this puppy loves leaves! OMG! The leaves she brings me! She likes those little bits of evergreen needles too! She really is into mouthing everything and chewing anything she can sink her teeth into, including my head and hair! I do love her so! Now, if we can just overcome her and her eating her poop anytime soon will be a real treat!

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Did you talk to your vet about the poop eating? Wilson (Tesses brother) also eats his poop and Rebecca's vet advised her to add wet food to her diet, as the oily stuff in the wet food might change the taste/smell of the poop, I believe. Otherwise you should pm Becca, she knows all about it. Of course Wilson is 16 weeks, so that might make a difference.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
When Quinn and Teddi need a time out I clap my hands get their attention, say "TIME OUT" very firmly, and pull them a part. I usually put Teddi in a down, and take Quinn away and hold her. Not in an attention loving sort of way, just put her down next to me and hold on to her collar. Our time outs are because they are getting too rough, and I just want them both to move on to other things.

Because I get firm with my time out I don't use the crate as I don't want the crate to be punishment.

AH poop eating my never ending battle. So far (knock on wood) Quinn does not do it. Belle and Teddi however are different stories. There is something you can put on their food called "Forbid" that does stop it. However, when we took our dogs off it (it is expensive) they went right back at it. The ONLY thing that works for us is diligent yard cleaning. It is a worse problem in the winter. My girls LOVE poopsicles. :yuck: :doh:

SIGH!
Ann

1 - 6 of 6 Posts