Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! My partner and I are hoping to welcome a puppy into our home within the next year ish (depending on when our preffered breeders have puppies/waitlists). I am wondering if anyone took time off work after getting a puppy? if so, how much time did you take? if not, what did you do instead? Thank you so much for your time :)

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I took a little over a week off because I wanted time to bond with Rukie. I also had adult kids living at home for a little while so he had someone taking care of him for several months.

Reactions: turtle66 and sarara

·
Registered
876 Posts
I took a week off when Maggie came home. Then my son was home a week with her from college. I then worked 1/2 days the 3rd week. She is in an Xpen during the day and my husband comes home at lunch every day. She is doing amazingly well. I have a potty box in her pen and expected she would use it at least a little and has not at all.

Jules

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both! I think that I will take off 3 weeks when our puppy arrives and then my partner will be able to come home during lunch after that and we will have a dog walker come in the morning and afternoon for play (rather than walking!). Growing up I was lucky enough to have a stay at home mom so she was always home with our dogs during the initial stages and after. Now that I am a working adult, getting a puppy seems so much more challenging logistically! We are so excited though and are ready for this new stage of being puppy parents!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I took a week off work and then my wife took three days off the next week. When not home, we had/have her in an Xpen in the garage and my mom would come visit her once a day to let her out to potty. Piper did great and still does and happily goes straight to the pen when we grab a treat and tell her to go to her pen.

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
Thank you both! I think that I will take off 3 weeks when our puppy arrives and then my partner will be able to come home during lunch after that and we will have a dog walker come in the morning and afternoon for play (rather than walking!). Growing up I was lucky enough to have a stay at home mom so she was always home with our dogs during the initial stages and after. Now that I am a working adult, getting a puppy seems so much more challenging logistically! We are so excited though and are ready for this new stage of being puppy parents!!!
Sound like a great plan! Having a puppy is a challenge at times but with some planning you can definitely make it work and it will be well worth it :) ! Can't wait to see pictures on Gotcha Day! Enjoy the forum.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I didn't take any time off for either. For Winx, it was a long weekend for 4th of July. For Pilot, it was Memorial Day weekend. Just how it worked out.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts

I think your plan sounds great. My first Golden, I took off two weeks and felt like it wasn't enough (but I did have a dogwalker and she was fine). My second one, I was able to take my full summer vacation starting the day she came home, so I was off for four weeks. I do think it really helps with housebreaking to be home at first all day if possible. I also just love being with them those first few weeks when they are new and learning everything and experiencing everything for the first time.

Reactions: turtle66

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm a teacher and have tried to time puppies for the summer. The first week or two is rough in that it feels like having a newborn baby--puppy is all you do. It feels like just trying to get them in and out without accidents, watch them and anticipate pottying, and play little games to make spending time in the crate a positive thing is pretty all-consuming. Wonderful, precious, but just very busy. I also want time to just hold them, stare at them when they're sleeping, and soak up that sweet puppy stage because it disappears SO fast. I wouldn't schedule anything that keeps me away from home. Build in time just for puppy--you'll be glad you did. My husband's work is pretty flexible so he can be home a little more, let puppy out at lunch, etc., so if you can get a couple of weeks and find a way to ease in after that, it will help your puppy transition. Enjoy--it's such a sweet time!

Reactions: turtle66

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all so much for the words of encouragement!!! I definitely am taking the 3 full weeks when the puppy arrives (and maybe a few days longer depending on how the puppy is doing)! We do not have any other plans during this time so we will be able to devote our full attention to the puppy!!!! After that my partner has a more flexible work schedule and will be able to come home once during lunch and then will be able to come home early. I do think we will still have a dog walker or someone come over in the morning and midafternoon to let the puppy out and have some play time.

I want to soak up all those sweet, sweet puppy memories and I am definitely lucky to be able to have this time off to do so!

I know a few people used xpens when they did return to work. We will have a puppy "room" (an extra bedroom) and I am wondering if we should start with the crate and gradually move to xpen, then the full room (and ultimately the house once the pup is older)? or should we just stay with the xpen! thoughts are welcomed and appreciated!!! I am so happy to be a part of this forum and to have all this wonderful advice! Thank you!!!

·
Kristy
9,827 Posts
I would suggest that you work on organizing your life in general. Plan meals ahead that you can prep and freeze in advance or use a crock pot to fix. Anything that frees up your time, just as if you were bringing home a human newborn. It is nice to not have to worry about boring chores and responsibilities when all you want to do is lay on the floor and play with your new puppy. I remember my SIL telling me before my first child was born, "you'll wonder what you ever did with all your free time." and she was right, the same thing with Golden puppies. The days of putting your feet up and spending hours binge watching are on hold for the next couple of years but it's worth it :) THe more time you invest in your puppy's training and bonding, the bigger the payoff in the long run.

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
I've only left my puppy in a crate when I wasn't home. I think it made it easier with potty training and I knew she was safe (don't forget collar off when in the crate). I had 2 crates, one upstairs in my bedroom where Luna slept at night and one downstairs for during the day. However, whenever I left the house Luna was put in the crate in my bedroom. I felt like she knew that meant it was now quiet and settle down time. I really never used an x-pen so hopefully others with experience with them will post.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great idea about the meals!!! I will definitely freezer prep in addition to our normal meal prep!!! Fantastic idea! Thank you so much!

I agree, I know I am not going to want to do anything except just absorb everything about our sweet little fluffball! We are also trying to organize my youngest sister coming out for a week or so (while she is on summer vacation) to help with the transition as I go back to work! (she also adores dogs and is begging to spend some time with the puppy!)

·
Lubbin mi prends!
9,545 Posts
That sounds like a great plan.

When we got Lilly (our first dog ever) my boss gave me 2 weeks 'maternity leave' - he called it, well it was vacation technically.

After the 2 weeks I tried to get an extra day off per week for another 2-3 months (? can't really remember) to continue with bonding and training.

I was pretty successful with potty training during those 2 weeks - but jeez was I tired, it is certainly to compare with having a newborn.
I had an x-pen when Lilly was up and she went there after potty training, after her walk, after her training, that way I could do a little bit safely without saying 'no' all the time in the house. And no - she was never in the x-pen when we were not there; when we were not there, she was in a crate.
It was summer when we got her, that helped a lot - we spend like hours in the back yard for playing (and to not have the accidents in the house).

I did crate her for about 6 months (for sleeping and resting) and we did crate training for that.
After the 2 weeks the daughter from one of my colleagues came over once or usually twice a day to walk while I was working my long hours (7am-6pm) but also to play and to do even training with her. It was summer break from college and this was her summer job. She loves dogs and did an awesome job with Lilly. She was not as well payed as an official dog trainer/dog walker but still more than a regular student.
It was the perfect arrangement for all of us.

Lilly was (I guess - hard to say since she was our first puppy) a typical puppy. She had this on - off switch from bunked out or totally happy going, active, adventure seeking attitude - there was nothing in between. There was no other way, I felt, then crating her when we were gone. I could not let her unsupervised in the bedroom. But I think, that is also worth it to learn the crating part in general. It very much helped with crating in the car while driving, in a hotel at night - just to had her learn that a crate is not a bad thing was very useful in the long run.

We also started puppy kindergarten class right away - and I have to say we were lucky to got into the class, the trainer I wanted were already booked in advance - I remember I compared it with sending kids to a good school- you have to sign up before they were even born to get a spot....(not sure if this is really reality, but apparently I did it too late, I tried to call the training facility as soon as I knew what day I would get our dog home). I probably would call now as soon as I paid for the dog...or something like that.

What an exciting time for you.

Have fun!!!

Heike

below are some puppy pictures and then one recent picture from Lilly (she will be 10 this year :)

Attachments

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I know a few people used xpens when they did return to work. We will have a puppy "room" (an extra bedroom) and I am wondering if we should start with the crate and gradually move to xpen, then the full room (and ultimately the house once the pup is older)? or should we just stay with the xpen! thoughts are welcomed and appreciated!!! I am so happy to be a part of this forum and to have all this wonderful advice! Thank you!!!

Deeeefinitely just in the crate when you first go back to work. It is MUCH safer for your pup, and will help solidify housetraining, rather than give him any chance to backtrack. Having an x-pen area or a room will encourage or allow him to pee if he needs to because he won't have to lie in it. In the crate, he is way less likely to pee, and it sounds like you guys will be coming to let him out plenty while he's learning (you and the walker) so he will be fine for the couple of hours at a time.

But the safety is first and foremost to me. I always just think about when I first went back to work with both my puppies, 12 years apart. I'd be at work and think of the puppy and have a momentary panic - is she okay? What if she is getting into something dangerous?? And then the immediate calm when I'd remind myself that she was safe in her little crate and my dogwalker would be there soon to take her out. They are safe in the crate. They can't chew anything and harm themselves. if they get plenty of exercise and attention before they go in, they pretty much just sleep in the crate when no one is home.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts