Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one golden retriever, who of course loves being outside! I have a lot of sand in my area. I have carpet in the bedrooms and hardwood throughout the rest of the house. Can anyone recommend a vacuum for both carpet and hardwood? We have had every Shark Vacuum they make, also the robot wouldn’t work in my house. Has anyone had any luck with a Hoover or Eureka?

·
Registered
13,879 Posts
I have had Dyson Animals for years. The best purchase I've made is my most recent, which was the Dyson Animal V10 cordless. The cordless means I can pull it out and whip around the house so quickly. I vacuum more often because it is easier. I have carpet in the bedrooms and hard wood and tile elsewhere. You just switch a button as you go between carpet and non. Definitely recommend.

Reactions: JulesAK and jdsh16

·
Administrator
54,688 Posts
I currently have a Bissel Pet Hair Eraser, it's 16 or 17 years at least and still works great.
I have tile floors in the bathrooms, high end wood laminate flooring throughout the house with several large area rugs.

I have been wanting to switch to a cordless vacuum, have been looking at brands/models made specifically for pet owners.

I think if you go with brands that have models made specifically for Pet owners in the price range you want to spend, you'll have a lot of options.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I am looking at upgrading my Dyson cordless to Dyson Animal, love the cordless option, although we use Roomba all over, the house, the ease of using the cordless exactly where needed for a quick touch up, love it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had Dyson Animals for years. The best purchase I've made is my most recent, which was the Dyson Animal V10 cordless. The cordless means I can pull it out and whip around the house so quickly. I vacuum more often because it is easier. I have carpet in the bedrooms and hard wood and tile elsewhere. You just switch a button as you go between carpet and non. Definitely recommend.
I have heard they were great vacuums, I have the Dyson Pet large upright. Is the battery long
Life?

·
Registered
13,879 Posts
I have heard they were great vacuums, I have the Dyson Pet large upright. Is the battery long
Life?
It depends what you are vacuuming. I think it lasts 30 minutes on the floors and 20 minutes on carpet. I can do a quick run around my 1050 sq ft house on one charge, but I need to charge it again if I am doing a more careful job.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Very heavy and expensive but my KIRBY has lasted 30 years. It has really taken a beating, 3 goldens and two house renovations. Does carpets and hardwood. I choked at the price, but having it so long and minimal repairs I'd say its been a bargain. It is bulky but nothing compares to how well it does the job.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Sadly, whatever you pay, you will never get the quality of the vacuum cleaner you bought 30 years ago.
We have 3 top of the line vacuum cleaners purchased over period of 30 years,
Usually the carpet cleaner bites the dust first, then the hose and on the cordless the battery.
All the filters are cleaned by an old SEARS vacuum purchased 40 years ago, Because IT has the BEST suction!!!!

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Sadly, whatever you pay, you will never get the quality of the vacuum cleaner you bought 30 years ago.
We have 3 top of the line vacuum cleaners purchased over period of 30 years,
Usually the carpet cleaner bites the dust first, then the hose and on the cordless the battery.
All the filters are cleaned by an old SEARS vacuum purchased 40 years ago, Because IT has the BEST suction!!!!
Yes in total agreement with you, That is why I stick with the mid-century metal sewing machines as well. However I do believe KIRBY still makes the metal motor and interchangeable parts that retrofit most of their models. Like your Sears ;)

·
Registered
321 Posts
My kit is not the newest. It is a Dyson V6 animal, and a pair of iRobot Roomba 805s with rubberised rollers. They all work at picking up a golden's fur balls but I wouldn't rely on them to clean up after a big retriever because none of the vacuums are very good at picking up shredded Amazon cardboard, chewed branches of Christmas tree, or the fluffy innards of beaten-up dog toys.

I switched to all hardwood floors maintained using an extra large dust-pan & brush and some microfibre mops.

·
Registered
Lucy
29 Posts
Vacuum snob weighing in. My brother owns several vacuum stores. I try to balance price/effectiveness and have resorted to simply buying new vacuums every two years. You can change bags, change filters, take the vacuum apart and clean everything (rollers/housing/etc.) ... but dog hair through the motor will still emit a funky odor over time. Miele exceptional (high end and easy to maintain). Simplicity and Riccar (medium priced and easily maintained). Eureka (medium priced and easily maintained). Dyson -- my view -- high priced, difficult to maintain on your own and expensive for a professional to clean/maintain.

Favorite for me -- 2 dogs -- 1 very hairy -- Simplicity and Riccar.

Granted, grooming/brushing outside always helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have one golden retriever, who of course loves being outside! I have a lot of sand in my area. I have carpet in the bedrooms and hardwood throughout the rest of the house. Can anyone recommend a vacuum for both carpet and hardwood? We have had every Shark Vacuum they make, also the robot wouldn’t work in my house. Has anyone had any luck with a Hoover or Eureka?
Shark.Great suction.No need to adjust for different floor types.I have 2 goldens in house. Vacuum first job of day.Cannister easy to empty.Filters can be washed and reused.Replacements cheap easy to find on Amazon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts