Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Within the next month or two we are planning on having an Invisible Fence installed, ONLY for when we are out with Bailey (she won't be left there unsupervised). In the meantime, we'd like to be able to have her out WITH us. For the most part she is very good about staying close, but I worry about her taking off after a car, an animal or people (which she finds the MOST tempting! ;))!

Is it ok to use a long lead or a tie-out in this situation? If so, which would be better? The lady at Petco said the tie out is better because it won't get tangled, etc. but "tie-out" has such a negative connotation that I want to make sure it's ok!! Thanks!! :)

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
I'd keep her on a lead and attached to you! I'm over-protective. It could be because of an incident with my youngest son as a toddler and my Cocker Spaniel. It scared the you know what out of me. We could have easily lost Christopher if Sparky didn't listen to me. I never listened to my husband again. I told him!

·
Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
479 Posts
I agree and IF at all possible.... I would recommend getting a real fence.

A real fence simply provides protection that is simply not there with an invisible fence.... not only for your pet but for you and your family as well.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I agree and IF at all possible.... I would recommend getting a real fence.

A real fence simply provides protection that is simply not there with an invisible fence.... not only for your pet but for you and your family as well.

I totally agree! A real fence continues to do the job even when the power goes off! Unfortunately, there are rarely second chances in traffic accidents.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A real fence...

I have always had a "real" fence and would LOVE to have one here. I could not agree more about the added protection for both Bailey and my young kids. However, where we live people just don't have them. We live on almost two acres backing up a wetland preserve (forest) and it's just not really feasible and unfortunately would be cost prohibitive. :( Everyone in our neighborhood here uses the invisible fences, and have done great with them.

However, most of them do depend on it when their dogs are not being supervised. As I mentioned this is something we would never do, and just want the added protection for when we are out with her. :)

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
I was only referring to the tie out. Not e-fences. I was in our backyard with Christopher as a toddler and Sparky was tied to a very long line. We later put up a fence. I wouldn't leave Christopher's side and pretty much had him in my arms.. My husband was building a fort for Michael and asked me to put Christopher down. I said, "No." I told him Sparky was too close and I was afraid something would happen. I would have brought Sparky in, but DH was in too much of a hurry and convinced me I was being, ME. I put Christopher down, walked 5 ft, maybe less, to hold a piece of wood and Sparky somehow in a split second wrapped the line around Christopher's head. I yelled, "Stay!" She stopped dead in her tracks. Had that line been around his neck or had Sparky not listened to me and just stepped forward, I think I would have lost him that day. I still get sick when I think about it.

·
Social Therapy Dog
613 Posts
Any chance of setting up a line between two trees(or poles) already in teh ground and allow the pup to run on a tether between them or with a much longer lead attached would have a very nice amount of area of move in without much risk of having the lead becoming tangled. Otherwise, there are a couple very good "tie-outs" that are metal or heavy plastic that screw all the way to the ground(nothing sticking out above ground) and have bearing that allow the lead to move freely around the top without tangling. I've seen folks use th em while backpackin when in camp and setting up tents. I've tought about it myself but usually i just have Amber on her "ecollar" yet from the backwoods(no trails and using a topo m ap and compass to navi) so I figured th at was enough since she never wanders much from me anyway. Otherwise, I think a lead clipped to your waist would be just fine as well, just watch your legs so you do not end up falling as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts