Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my first tick of the season off Pippin last night. It was full and one of those little seed ticks.

I’ve got to do something about ticks, (and heart worms) but what?

I try to limit chemical warfare whenever possible. For whatever cocktail of reasons, golden retrievers seem to be more prone to cancers than many other dogs.

I live in a rural neighborhood that is wooded and wildlife abounds. My one acre lot is at least half woods. I leash walk multiple times each day. The pups are both ball crazy and we play fetch in the yard or in a hayfield down the street. Ticks are a fact of life for us.

During the winter months, I can deal with infrequent ticks during daily grooming. Because of the mild past winter, this tick season is predicted to be bad.

Having ticks drop off in the house is complicated because my wife, a breast cancer survivor, suffers from lymphedema and has a harder time fending off skin introduced infection. One of my sons has significant allergies that make us wary of chemicals that come in contact with his skin.

Now there are tick-borne diseases that have such huge impacts on both canine and human health.

What are you using to battle the ticks and why does that work for you? Is there any new option worth considering?

·
Super Moderator
1,674 Posts
I've moved your thread to an area where you should receive more responses. Also, using the Forum search feature will yield a wealth of helpful threads.

·
Super Moderator Leader
46,421 Posts
I've been using Nexgard for many years, it's doing a great job and my guys have never had any problems taking it.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
I also use Nexguard in a high Lyme disease/tick area. It has worked so far for us but in the thread Luna's in the hospital it was revealed there are circumstances where tick disease could be transferred before Nexguard kills the tick. I think it must be rare but it disturbs me (along with hundreds of other things this week)

·
Registered
12,551 Posts
Advantix II - helps repel the ticks so they don't even bite. But kills them if they do.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I don't use topicals with Kaizer for a variety of reasons, but I do use Nexgard. I've had good luck with it, he's been on Nexgard pretty much his whole life and I've never found a tick on him while using it. I live in a very tick-infested area and frequently take walks in wooded/grassy areas.

The only time I have ever found a tick on him was last week. I usually only give him tick/flea from April to about October/November. It was an unusually warm winter, so I should have started the Nexgard sooner, but I didn't and thus, the tick.

·
Super Moderator
424 Posts
I used to have mine on frontline plus, and never had any issues. I decided to try the wholistic route and switched them all to a dog safe essential oil spray. Haven't had issues with ticks as well since the switch. I believe if you live in a heavily infested area, its best to use some chemical protection rather than risk tick borne diseases.

·
Super Moderator
3,675 Posts
I live on Long Island, loaded with ticks. I use Vectra 3D. My vet likes it the best. BTW, I have trouble seeing ticks and am not adept at picking them out of the coat.

·
Puddles
3,505 Posts
Sorry about the bugs but good to hear from you! Loved your post.
Call the vet and see what's working in your area. The front people get all the feedback on what works and what doesn't. What I used in DFW didn't phase the critters out here but I don't have a big problem with ticks... too many opossums I guess. With all the rain we have had in the last 4 months the fleas would need scuba gear to survive, put pretty sure it will dry out soon and be faced with the little buggers again. I tend to like the monthly stuff, something about giving bug poison that last 6 or 12 months can't be a good thing.

·
Registered
260 Posts
We use Front Line on our Golden's. We had one of our dogs infected at a hunt test we did in Arkansas a few years ago. He came down with the disease when we were traveling, our adult son was taking care of our boy, when he suddenly got very sick. We spoke to our son and ask that he take our dog to the vet right away, which he did. The doctor was not sure what was going on so they kept the dog at the vet so they could watch him. Apparently, the vet checked for tic born diseases and they came back negative. To make a long story short, we almost lost that dog. We got home and the vet still had our pup and he was not able to eat or even get up and walk. We took him to an emergency vet who worked on him, including retesting for tic related illness. The test came back positive, so they started him on antibiotics...in two days he was fully recovered, although he had to stay on those drugs for 6 months. The whole thing cost over $5,000. He was worth it, but the original vet almost killed him....!

Bottom line here, be afraid of tics and there related diseases, they can kill a dog!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts