Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys/gals - new to the forum but figured nowhere better to get some advice regarding ticks. I have a 1.5 year old English Creme named Maverick. My area is high risk with a large deer population in a rural area (3 acre grass/wooded yard). My mom unfortunately caught Lyme Disease and is petrified of ticks now so I'm looking for some good thoughts for the situation. My dog currently takes tick med during warm months, but we are also doing the mineral oil spray and considering stopping the tick meds and getting some sort of collar that is supposed to work great.

Any and all ideas would be apprecied.

Thanks in advance!!

AC

·
Super Moderator Leader
50,880 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Are you referring to the Seresto collar?

I tried it a few years ago and I didn't work on my guys but I live in a very warm humid climate and fleas are god awful here. Ticks are a problem if you're out in tall grass or wooded areas with your pup/dogs which I rarely am, I prefer the beach.

I give my boy Nexgard, there are many members using this-it's a monthly and there's also a lot of members using Bravecto-it's good for 90 days.

Check with your Vet to find out which products work best in your area.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Aside from the preventives mentioned, a good old-fashioned tick check is good for your pup and you. If you’ve been in a ticky area, a few minutes to brush and check your dog will keep some of them from getting any further. I care about the health of my dog, but I also don’t like the idea of ticks hitching a ride into the house. (Everyone in my family has had Lyme, some have had erlichiosis, and I have had dogs with chronic anaplasmosis ... yick to the ticks!)

We also have our yard sprayed for mosquitoes and ticks. It’s not cheap, but well worth it to us. We rarely see ticks unless we are out and about away from home.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I’m in a high Lyme/tick infested area, and we see a lot of tick borne illnesses up here. Piper is on Nexguard, because she was always trying to lick the topical stuff off of her, and we have had good results so far. The tick collars are highly variable depending on your location. Here in New England I just didn’t want to risk it. I also vaccinate her for Lyme, it may also be something to consider (but does not replace a tick preventative, it’s not 100% effective and the other tick borne illnesses can be pretty bad).

I give it year round, because the tick season can be unreasonably long and ticks are hardier up here. A friend of mine found a tick on his dog in February. And also because it prevents fleas, and fleas are not something I want to have to deal with.

I also check her for ticks most days. Especially if we have been out in the woods.

Retrievers have a higher incidence of Lyme nephritis than some other dogs, and it can lead to kidney failure, so it’s definitely a good thing to use something.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The vet recommended Bravecto and that is what we use. You should always check with vet who would know the best tick prevention for the area you live in. He is on it year long as Connecticut has a lot of them. Easter weekend we must of hiked through a nest he had about 30 on him and I had a few on myself. The vet did not like the Seresto collar and didn't find it effictive (but again check with yours). We also groom him regularly and check for ticks at the end of every day since every day he is at the beach or hiking.

Last grooming he had 8 on him but they were all dead. I did pick up https://www.chewy.com/cool-pup-insect-shield-dog-neck/dp/164871 on my last chewy order and it seems to keep them away from his neck area which helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
We have Luna on Bravecto, it's 12 weeks of protection. Our vet recommended it & she's been on it since last year.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've used Nexguard and am currently using Simparica. I like both fine. Both are chewables. I think Simparica is a little cheaper. Ticks can still bite, but they die once they do. I can't remember exactly where I heard/read this, but I also own horses-there is nothing that really works for ticks on horses-they say to check your horses over everyday and remove ticks. If you remove the tick within a day, then it doesn't have time to start transmitting any diseases it may be carrying. Not sure if its true or not, but in 17 years of owning horses so far so good. I put absolutely zero stock in flea/tick collars. I am a groomer and I always do a thorough flea/tick check on any dog that comes to me with a flea collar because that flea collar almost seems like a guarantee that the dog will have fleas. I know some people have had good success with the Serestro collars, but given my experience as a groomer, I would never trust a collar for my own dogs.

·
Registered
173 Posts
We use Bravecto for Noah, but will need to talk to our vet about something for Moses - I think I remember you can't use Bravecto until 6 months old.

Isn't there a vaccine for Lyme disease now? I need to remember to ask the vet about that too.

Yes there is a vaccine for it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts