Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I'm new to the forum and hope I'm posting this properly.

I have a 1 year old Golden, Oakley, who was previously on Revolution. Our vet didn't tell us that it doesn't protect against deer ticks, and I've had to pull two off of her since she's been on it. I asked the vet for another recommendation and she said the seresto collar.

Well Oakley started vomiting and having diarrhea the day after we put the collar on her, luckily we put two and two together and took the collar off and her stomach was back to normal the next day.

The vet then recommended Bravecto, but since Oakley has always had a bit of a sensitive stomach I'm wary of putting her on a chew rather than a topical - plus I'm not so sure I trust my vet's recommendations at this point.

Ticks are a real issue where I live. Does anyone have any suggestions for flea/tick prevention that they've used without any side effects? If it protects against heartworm that would be an added bonus.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Parastar Plus is for fleas and ticks. It's one you apply like Frontline.

Reactions: G-bear

·
Super Moderator Leader
50,873 Posts
I am using Nexgard on my boy, he's had no problems with it and it's doing a good job.
It's a monthly chewable preventative vs. Bravecto lasting three months.

If you do a search on the forum for Nexgard or Bravecto, there are several threads that will come up you can read through that may help you with your decision.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I meant to add Nexgard myself. Supposed to be quite safe.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I don't know if there is a tick preventive that has no side effects for all dogs. What I mean is, what has zero side effects for one dog may cause a problem for another (individual differences).

I am also in upstate NY and live in deer-tick infested country. My vet switched Chance from Frontline Plus to Nexgard. Chance didn't have any side effects with either product but Nexgard actually "works" whereas the Frontline Plus did not.

The vet was finding more and more dogs within her practice who were on Frontline Plus were testing positive for Lyme. It could be the administration - user error ? It was very hard to get the entire ampule absorbed into a spot of Chance's back. I'm the first to admit that. I even used to shave a little area to make it easier. The Nexgard is an edible chew so I know he gets the whole thing.
But I have found noticeably fewer ticks attached since the switch and they are very tiny and dead which means they died as soon as they started to feed.

Nexgard doesn't prevent heartworm. For that Chance gets Heartgard. But I like that they are not combined so that I separate the 2 by 2 weeks and that way Chance doesn't get an overload to his system at once. I prefer medications to be administered separately.

Looking forward to hearing more about your Oakley and seeing pics too!

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I also use Nexgard on my 3 dogs and vaccinate for Lyme. We also do blood work 2 times a year since I live in a state with a high incidence of Lyme Disease. We have not had any problems with Nexgard, which is a monthly chewable pill. I make sure I give the Nexgard 10 days after the dogs get their heartworm meds and I always make sure I give it with food to minimize the possibility of stomach upset or reactions. I do not like topical flea and tick treatments as Gracie is a therapy dog who is exposed to persons with compromised immune systems and I worry that the Frontline, which remains on the dogs, could have ill effects on the patients she visits.

·
Ingrid, Now Mom to Brisby
1,111 Posts
A warm welcome to you and Oakley to the forum!!

Yes ticks....

I realize from previous experience, that what I will post here will not be a popular response.

However that said, most of what veterinarians prescribe are NOT tick preventatives/deterrents.. They are the killer of ticks/fleas once they are on/within your dog's body and bloodstream via neurotoxins that have invaded your dog's blood stream/entire body when these parasites attach and feed to kill them.

In other words, ticks will still attach to your dog if you don't use any other deterrents. The Bravetcos, Advantix etc., will kill the ticks once they attach in time, however will not prevent them from attaching.

Just think about what must be in your dog's blood stream to kill these pests and what health effects that may have long term, specifically with the high incidence of cancer in Golden's and overall health...basically filling one's dogs body with pesticide enough to kill, yet not deter.

However that said, it is up to each and everyone of us to decide what we feel is best for our dogs.

What I can share is this.

Brisby and I walk in the bush everyday here in Southern Ontario. She swims, walks through tall grassy areas, rolls etc.

Yes, we have ticks here, we have fleas here...even reports of Lyme etc. That said, we have no fleas, no ticks last year, 1 tick so far this year which I removed.

I do blood tests for her 2X's/year for heartworm, run a blood panel for her for any parasitic potentially induced disease, I attempt in every way possible to keep her immune system strong via diet, supplements and true natural preventatives which deter these parasites from being attracted to her. It also takes due diligence daily if you are taking your dog out in the bush to check their entire body daily to ensure they are parasite free.

To date, this is working for us and my holistic vet is in full support of our approach.

Please, please, please...all of you who read this, think about what you are letting your dogs ingest...and without doubt with true love and care for their welfare...it is POISON...throughout your entire dog's body to kill ticks and fleas....PLEASE think about this.

Reactions: goldy1
1 - 8 of 8 Posts