Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 1/2 year old golden boy, Nygel, becomes very aggitated outside of his normal surroundings. He also has a high prey instinct as well as he doesn't like anyone to come close to our fenceline and will bark aggressively at anyone/thing that comes close.

So...... I decided to try the newly advertised "Thundershirt" with much skepticism. "How can a coat help with these issues".

Well, I put it on him last evening and, firstly, he didn't seem to mind it being on and, secondly, he immediately seemed more relaxed. Our neighbour "terrorist" children were running around and SCREAMING :doh::doh::doh: which normally puts him into a very aggitated state but not yesterday. People walked by our home walking their dog - normally Nyg would BARK, BARK, BARK & I'd have to take him into the house but not last evening. He barked twice in a different "tone" & then went back to playing with the other boys.

Not recommending yet but I do see some improvement. I'll keep the forum updated!

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,279 Posts
I have been wondering how effective these thundershirts are too-I've had several people ask me about them, but I didn't know enough about them to recommend or not recommend them.

Looking forward to the updates.

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
I got mine for Lucy last week. We've yet to get to try it out during a storm, but it definitely kept her calmer at night while Bart was out of town. She usually will bark at any noise she hears, because she's in protective mode, but she only barked a very little bit while wearing it. She seems a great deal less neurotic with it on.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds great so far....keep us posted, since it may be something I would use for my youngest. How is it as far as the potty issues. Can they go potty with it easily?
Absolutely no problem in this area as the "shirt" fastens beneath their belly and around the chest & there is plenty of clearance for both males and females. Nyg used it for both "peeing & pooping" yesterday without issue - he didn't even get the shirt wet at all - I checked:uhoh: The shirts are also washable.

I purchased mine for $42.99 + tax :( and I noticed that they can be purchased on-line for $39.99 plus taxes plus $15.99 shipping. You'd probably be best buying a shirt from a local retailer - pet store, vet office, etc.

Ironically, he seemed to even like the shirt on and paraded around as if saying "look at me, I'm special".

I am going to take Nyg for a walk downtown where there are lots of distractions to see how he behaves. Normally he's very uptight and on guard in unfamiliar situations (because of a dog attack when he was 9 mos old).

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought mine from a local pet store where the owner has an Aussie who is absolutely frantic during a thunderstorm and even hours before. She said that there is no sleep for anyone during these hours - that is, until Thundershirt. She told me that she put the thundershirt on her Aussie hours before the storm and her girl slept all through the night even though the storm woke them up. She was AMAZED at the success.

·
Mom to 9 :)
2,383 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another endorsement here. DH was really skeptical but we decided we had nothing to lose trying it with our thunderphobic Mike since it had a 100% guarantee. Not a complete cure-all but definitely alot better than he is without. Here is a link to it on Amazon ($39.95) w/ free shipping:
Amazon.com: Thundershirt Dog Anxiety Treatment Wrap, Large, Heather Grey: Pet Supplies
Did the large work for you? I am using the XL & wouldn't want any smaller - Nygel is NOT a big boy @ 82 lbs & solid muscle. (You'd never know that he weighed in @ 82 lbs!)

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I use a Thundershirt on my dog and people reactive lab mix, foster dog, Joseph, it really helps to keep him calmer in those situations where he would normally 'go off'. He is better able to focus and listen to what he is being asked, truly took the 'edge' of him. I was skeptical too, but figured it was worth a shot - totally amazed at the difference it made for him.

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
Did the large work for you? I am using the XL & wouldn't want any smaller - Nygel is NOT a big boy @ 82 lbs & solid muscle. (You'd never know that he weighed in @ 82 lbs!)

Lucy's is an extra large, and though I have to wrap it around her chest really tight because she's not chesty, it wouldn't do for her middle to have one smaller.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have 2 friends who brought this shirt, one is for thunderstorm problem, one is for car sick.

The dog with thunderstorm problem is less fearful after wearing instead of panic, yet still tries to find spots for hide in the house.

The car sick dog still has car sick but seems vomit less after wearing.

I am still thinking if I should get one for Sam's crazy hyper issue in the car, any thoughts?

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
My vet has recommended them to me as well, says she sees awesome results with them! I've thought about trying to put on one Sam for walks to see if it helps with his negative reaction to seeing other dogs while on a leash. He also tends to "fence fight" while in our backyard when other dogs walk by, so it's interesting that you've seen positive results about that using it too. Definitely thinking about buying one now.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Any new updates? Any sizing recommendations? I have three who need them. Bonnie is the worst, I will try one for her first....she is 74lbs. and barely 32 inches....think XL, or Large?

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,279 Posts
Maybe this will help, here's the Sizing Chart and Size by Breed from Thundershirt.com

SizeChest SizeWeight
XXS9"-13.5"< 7 lbs.

XS13"-18"8-14 lbs.

S16"-23"15-25 lbs.

M18"-26"26-40 lbs.

L24"-32"41-64 lbs.

XL31"-40"65-110 lbs.

XXL38"-50"> 110 lbs.

Measure “Chest Size” as illustrated by red arrow below

Size finder

Select dog breed: Afghan Bassett Hound Beagle Bichon Frise Boston Terrier Boxer Bulldog Cairn Terrier Chihuahua Cocker Spaniel Collie Corgi Dachshund Dalmation Doberman Pinscher English Setter Fox Terrier German Shepherd Golden Retriever Great Dane Greyhound Irish Setter Labrador Retriever Lhasa Apso Maltese Miniature Poodle Miniature Schnauzer Pekingese Pomeranian Pug Rottweiler Shar Pei Shetland Sheepdog Shih Tzu Standard Poodle Standard Schnauzer Toy Poodle Wheaten Terrier Yorkshire Terrier

Your Dog's Relative Size:(GOLDEN RETRIEVER)
Small55-62 lbs.28"-31"
LAverage62-68 lbs.31"-36"
XLLarge68-75 lbs.36"-38"
XLTypical Weight Range:Typical Chest Size:Thundershirt Size:

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
Any new updates? Any sizing recommendations? I have three who need them. Bonnie is the worst, I will try one for her first....she is 74lbs. and barely 32 inches....think XL, or Large?

Lucy is about that size and wears the XL. I have to tighten the chest strap a lot, but the rest fits really well.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts