Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

So 2 of the past 3 days Anna has woken us up barking at like 4 or 5 am. She normally doesn't wake till like 8 am. Each time we've gone out we have noticed that she threw up. These are the only two times this has happened but I am wondering if I should be concerned.
I searched around and some people say it may be because she has an empty stomach but I don't know how this could be the deal since Anna eats most of her food late at night before bed.
I guess maybe we should try to get her on a better eating schedule but I would say she eats only 1/3 of her food total from morning till like 5 pm and then the other 2/3 from like 8 pm to 10/11 when she goes to sleep. We have been feeding her Eukanuba Puppy and stick to the recommended total amount a day. She's never been a give her her food and she finishes it right way dog. She's more of a 'oh i'll go back for it later type'.

So I guess I have a couple questions.
Could it be her food type? (We have been thinking of changing it anyway)
Could it be that she is still hungry although she does eat right before she goes to sleep cause shes growing?
Or could it be that she is eating to much right before she goes to bed?
And is her eating schedule something we should try to adjust?

Sorry for so many questions. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
If she is not eating well, she may well be very hungry early in the morning, she has not packed in enough 'reserve' to get her through the 'fast', night, consider switching her food, find something that she will eat. Sometimes pet food stores sell or give away sample packs - so you could try one or two that you think you want to feed and see how it goes. Feed her on a schedule, once you have found something she is eager to eat you can usually start with a little less than what it says on the package - those are 'guidelines' and work up if need be. When feeding her meals, put her bowl down, give her 10 - 15 minutes to eat, pick up the bowl. If she eats well during the day the nights will be easier for her (and you).
I believe a dog refuses a particular food for a 'reason', not because they want steak instead of hamburger. Their basic instinct is survival but if a food makes them feel 'sick' or truly smells bad to them, they may eat some so they don't starve, but not enough for maintenance and growth.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If she is not eating well, she may well be very hungry early in the morning, she has not packed in enough 'reserve' to get her through the 'fast', night, consider switching her food, find something that she will eat. Sometimes pet food stores sell or give away sample packs - so you could try one or two that you think you want to feed and see how it goes. Feed her on a schedule, once you have found something she is eager to eat you can usually start with a little less than what it says on the package - those are 'guidelines' and work up if need be. When feeding her meals, put her bowl down, give her 10 - 15 minutes to eat, pick up the bowl. If she eats well during the day the nights will be easier for her (and you).
I believe a dog refuses a particular food for a 'reason', not because they want steak instead of hamburger. Their basic instinct is survival but if a food makes them feel 'sick' or truly smells bad to them, they may eat some so they don't starve, but not enough for maintenance and growth.
thanks for the reply. I have heard that before about removing the food after 10-15 minutes I've just always been afraid that she wouldn't eat at all. I guess though maybe that will teach her that she needs to eat when its given. We are probably going to go to store later to maybe get a food that she will eat. Its hard to tell whether she likes or doesnt like the food. I mean I guess her not eating till late may mean shes only eating it cause she gets real hungry but when she starts eating she seems to eat it pretty well. I guess we will try a different food and see how that goes.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Ozzy used to do this when he was younger. Don't know if it was his age BUT after he had surgery for an obstruction and we became MUCH more careful about what little things he ate it seemed to stop. Prior to that he would find a cat toy, a small children's toy, etc. and eat parts of it. Now we are very, very careful about what he can get into and the nighttime vomiting has stopped. Might just be a coincidence but it is something to think about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts