Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it IS a new year and as promised my dad decided to give me a go on seeing if I can achieve my UDX. So Sunday was our first trial since the National and although it was not "perfect" it was good enough.
Open was first. We started with the DOR and I was almost perfect. My front lost 1/2 point. Next was the heel free and fig 8. Not so close to perfect. I was okay till the **** SLOW!!! I HATE to go SLOW!!! Why would anyone WANT to go SLOW???? Well I got my butt end out and "told" my dad to pick up the pace. Only one "woof" but it was a real good, LOUD one. And once I did that I started that "cute" bouncing heeling the remainder of the pattern. We then did the ROH and that was nice but again my front was a hair off. Next was the broad jump. I was spot on on that one. Lastly was the ROF and my dad said he was going to throw the dumbbell slightly yo the left as it was a somewhat narrow ring and the alley between the broad (on left) and high (on right) was really tight. A couple of real good dogs had already come back over the high and he knows I like to turn right when I pick up the bell. Well he throws right down the middle :doh: and t bounces right! So I came back over the jump, knew something was not right and did not sit front but stood. Stays were not an issue, THANK YOU LORD, and we qualified. Dad was pretty happy EXCEPT for the "WOOF".
In the afternoon we had Utility. This was PRETTY scary. First was the DR, glove #2. I was a hair under pivoted and I played a little with the glove picking it up but all was okay. Next was signals, this is where we thought we lost it. My heeling was pretty good until, you guessed it, the SLOW. Another "woof" and then the bouncing heeling. Problem started because the SLOW was at the end of the pattern and we did an about turn stand. I am pretty good at doing a stand from standing straight up on my hind legs and lowering myself into the stand, but it ALWAYS makes my dad nervous. Well no problem. He leaves me, turns and as he turns the open ring has a dumbbell FLYING thru the air. I just HAD to look. After a second or two I remembered I need to watch my dad and look at him, then I think "**** I must have missed the signal" and start to drop. At the time I was looking at the other ring the judge signaled my dad to drop me and as I turned and he saw I was not waiting, he fires off the fasted drop signal you have EVER seen. All this happens in the same split second. I sit and come on cue and as the judge says exercise finished, he says a tie goes to the dog. WHEW!!! Next is DJ and both my go outs had the crowd gasping - they were truly a thing of beauty. (Yeah I still tend too draw a crowd when I am in the ring as everyone wants to see what I will DO today) I charged out full speed and as my dad said sit I spun on a dime and my butt hit the ground all at once perfectly straight looking at my dad. Took the correct jumps. Moving standing was also spot on. Last was articles. First was metal, no problem. Second was leather and small problem, as I love the taste/feel of leather and played with it on the way back and dropped it. After the judge said exercise finished he had a "talk" with my dad. Seems my dad spoke out of turn and the judge warned him it could cause us to NQ. When dad said he was "ready" and placed the article on the clipboard, he "reminded" me to watch but the judge said it was done at the same time he asked "ready?". And remember it was ruled earlier ties go to the dog. Even bigger "WHEW!" :uhoh:
I know my dad was hoping for better scores but as this was our first time out in a while and was not a trial he had originally planned on taking me to, he was pleased.
And to top it off his beloved GIANTS also won Sunday. :dblthumb2 ( But somebody needs to correct HIM for yelling/woofing during those silly games) :bowrofl:

Licks and nips
Oriana

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
We love it... and tell your dad he needs to learn to embrace the slow time... (It will also be able to show off your girlish figure and make the boys go wild!) Good girl Oriana..make your dad get you something yummy.. Titan is voting on Mcd's Chicken Nuggets..

Reactions: AmbikaGR

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Great job Oriana! Also great story, you write so much better than Hank does. Tito sends his love.

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
Good girl Oriana!! That darned slow - my Faelan is still trying to embrace it but you're right, who wants to go that slow anyhow?

Reactions: AmbikaGR and Titan1

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well yesterday I realized that I am in trouble and I will need to get a little more serious about this obedience thing. Yesterday I went 3 for 4 for my third UDX leg, couple of OTCh and OM points, two placements and my dad was only "OK" with it. And the one class I did NQ he actually embarrassed me in front of the entire world but turning to me and telling me "NO!!!" in a stern voice when we were heeling that dreaded "slow" pace and I "WOOFED" for him to MOVE! I was shocked!!! I thought I was safe in the ring once we were doing an exercise, guess I was wrong.
But I will tell you it was his fault we NQed. When we do the articles we ALWAYS do metal first and THEN leather. Well for some reason he switched it up. I went out found the correct one came back with it and then realized "WAIT this should be a metal one!!" So I spit it out went back but none of them smelled like him so I went back and got the one I dropped. and brought it to him. Then I did the exact same thing with the next one except when I went back to the dropped one I AGAIN spat it out and went back to the pile at which time the judge proclaimed "exercise over". AT least he is HOPING that was the issue with the articles.
Dad says he will do his darnest to set me up this weekend at the match to correct it "GOOD". I again did some of the two legged heeling that I am famous for and the crowd just "LOVES". We'll see what happens Saturday.
No more trials for a couple of weeks for us.
GO GIANTS!!!

Licks and nips
Oriana

Reactions: MarieP

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
a UDX leg, OM points, AND OTCH points, and dad was only "okay" with it????

Have you ever given Dad a little nip in the butt and told him to get real? ;)

·
Casey and Samson's Mom
221 Posts
Oriana sounds like so much fun! I'd love to see her two legged heeling. :)

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oriana sounds like so much fun! I'd love to see her two legged heeling. :)

This is from last year. You will see a little of that behavior after the "slow" during signals. She at times will go about 10 feet on two legs. :doh:

·
Casey and Samson's Mom
221 Posts
She looks like she is having so much fun in the ring! No wonder the audience loves her!

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there NO pleasing this fool of a peep of mine!!! Yesterday he took me to another trial and I thought I out did myself!! Not only did I get another UDX leg in the morning with a couple more OM points, in the afternoon I got a SECOND UDX leg!!! And all he could say was "Yeah, but the OLD Oriana again reared her ugly muzzle" Who he calling OLD and UGLY????? Sure I barked a little, well maybe more than a "little" in the afternoon trial, but it did not cause us to NQ. And a LOT of the high roller dogs stubbed their paws and did not get TWO UDX legs yesterday. And yes I did do that little "pivot"thing I like to do when he leaves me on my sit stay and I got hit for a point for that. And yes I did a LOT of two legged heeling, dropped my leather article (both trials), was not real straight on my go-outs, or straight on my fronts with the dumbbells or articles. SO WHAT!!! He did get 4 pieces of that green fabric that I thought was SO important to HIM!!! Some of his friends told him to be careful or I might REALLY give him something to be upset about.
In the end he treated like the PRINCESS we all know I am and proceeded to spoil me and loved on me the way I would expect him to. Deep down we all know we have these peeps where we want them.
Today he even gave me the day off. But I think that maybe because he needs to recover from yesterday in preparation of tonight's Giants' game where he is hoping to do a lot of happy barking.
Licks and nips
Oriana

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
Good girl Oriana..Titan says you go girl, show them how it's done! Make your dad give you some Superbowl snacks today!

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
Yay Oriana!! You deserve to be treated like the princess you are!! Good girl!

·
Casey and Samson's Mom
221 Posts
Oriana, would you tell me how to stop Casey from barking on the directed jumping exercise...he is loosing me 4 pts a go in utility for his woof, woof, on each go out. I know he is just telling me it is his favourite exercise, but I already know it. Even when everything else is perfect, we are down 4pts. Advice?

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oriana, would you tell me how to stop Casey from barking on the directed jumping exercise...he is loosing me 4 pts a go in utility for his woof, woof, on each go out. I know he is just telling me it is his favourite exercise, but I already know it. Even when everything else is perfect, we are down 4pts. Advice?
My peep had to get in my face and stop ALL woofs in training to get the point across to me. In my early days in the utility ring there were 3 different occasions I completed every exercise and the mean judges withheld that silly piece of green fabric because they said I barked TOO much. JEEZ, I was just telling EVERYBODY how much fun we were having and to come watch us. :doh:
One day at a match, just about a year ago, my dad really got SERIOUS and I was in SHOCK and could not understand what he was correcting me for, so I started doing all the exercises wrong because I was confused. But I am a pretty smart pup (if I do say so myself) and within a week figured it out. There are still times I just HAVE to tell him things, especially on that darn "slow" at trials. In fact Saturday on my first go-out I sneaked in a woof on the other side of the ring before I turned around. I thought dad and the judge would not know it was me, but alas I was wrong. But I am better than I was. ;)

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another BUSY weekend. Two trips out to Long Island for their Specialties, got to go to a Cub Scout meeting Friday night and then today we went to a match show. My peep looks like he could sleep for a week. Me? I want to know when we are going to do SOMETHING??
Well my "slide" continued out on Long Island, although I did get UDX leg #6 on Friday. In Utility my "sitter" was broke and lost points galore for that in many exercises. Plus my go outs were not real straight and of course there was that dog-darn "slow" thing again. In Open I was better, until we got to the heeling at the end of the class. Got distracted BIG time on the Fig 8. I did my two legged heeling and woofed on the heel free . I also scooted a lot on the DOR before my peep could turn around and catch me. There is a video of the Open class below.
On Friday night my peep and I went to the grandsons' Cub Scout meeting to talk about pet care. There was a LOT of noisy scouts there but I handled it like a champ and dad was VERY proud of me.
Saturday in Utility, on the DR I slid and pushed the glove three feet and out of the ring, but not so far that I could not stick my lady-like head through the gates and reach it and bring it back to my peep. Then I did more bouncing & barking on signals and I moved a little closer to dad before he turned around - so I would not have to run so far when he signaled me to come. Go-outs were off center again, but we did Q. In Open on the ROH, the jump jumped up and hit me hard in my paws as I flew over it. I looked back at it and said "fooled once shame on you, fooled me twice shame on me" and promptly proceeded to return with the dumbbell without giving the jump another chance to "get" me. So no ribbon and no UDX leg.
Today we worked with our friend Betsy and tried to "fix" me some more, like I am some kind of broken thing? They decided I was silly and not consistent on my steps to the jump and my peep needs to be sure he is EXACTLY 8 feet away, as I seem to consistently take two steps and then jump from that point. And then came the "heeling" issue. They decided, and dad agreed, that all four feet will be on the floor at ALL times. They will not allow my cute little 3 footed skip or anything else as I just take advantage when he allows it. So we have two weeks and Bridget's seminar before our next trial.

Licks and nips
Oriana

PS - On Friday there was a "Last Dog Standing" award that I won. They give this to the ONLY dog to qualify in both Open B and Utility B - AKA High Combined. I think my peep was "almost" too embarrassed to accept it. BOL!!

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Oriana, you are too cute. You should start an advice column for the dogs on GRF. I'll bet you could give them lots of great ideas to make showing with peeps more fun! After all, isn't all about having fun???

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Wow Oriana, you're going to have that UDX in no time. And huge congrats on the HC! Between all my dog's that have shown, I have 13 HIT rosettes but only 1 lonely high combined.

·
Casey and Samson's Mom
221 Posts
Oriana, you make my Casey look like a snail in the ring. I think I'd pass out with shock if he ever showed that much energy!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts