Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Golden Newbie
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

We just got news tonight that there are three lab mix puppies who are looking for a foster home before they get transported to a rescue organization that'll work to unite them with their forever families. We were volunteered for the position of short-term foster family, and while I'm happy to help, I'm also a bit nervous!

The puppies are three months old, and we'll be picking them up sometime this week. The shelter will provide us with all the supplies and food we need until they need to leave (the end of March/beginning of April), so that's great.

Any advice?? We have two dogs; a 7-year-old golden retriever mix named Manchee who is a saint, and an 11-year-old cocker spaniel who is absolutely docile and only interested in food. :)

Reactions: Karen519

·
Faux Wanda
1,528 Posts
I would make sure to have 3 separate crates for them and a safe, secure, play area both inside and outside of the house. Lots of toys.
Sound like a lot of work but also lots of fun. Make sure to take tons of pictures to post. Can't get enough puppy pictures.
Good luck.

·
Professional Member
1,548 Posts
Wow, at least they will surely keep each other busy playing, I don't see why keeping them in separate crates are nessesary just make sure one is large enough, them spending as much time with each other can only benefit them IMO

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Golden Newbie
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your answers, everyone! The shelter wants me to have them in three separate crates. There's been a hold-up getting the puppies' care authorized at our vet (grr), so we don't have them home yet. But we're just waiting on that now. Can't wait to post pictures! :)

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Manchee

Manchee

I think it is absolutely wonderful that you are going to foster these three little babies and give them a chance at a wonderful life!
Just make sure that they are checked out by a vet before you bring them into your home, to keep your other pets healthy.
I also agree you will have to have a safe place for them outside to go out to and if I were you, I would be out there with them at all times.

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,624 Posts
Thanks for doing this for them...Good luck with your two and the three puppies. I give you a lot of credit for taking them on...looking forward to seeing the pictures.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Any updates on this?

I'm planning on fostering 2 pups at the same time in a few weeks, now that I've had some experience with fostering one puppy at a time.

Interesting that the rescue wants separate crates; I was planning on doing that with my future foster pups. It might be easier for me (and for them at first) to only have one crate, but it'd be hard for the pup who gets adopted first. They'd go from all being in a crate at night to spending the night (and part of the day) on their own. I'm all about making things as easy as possible for the pups when they go to their future homes so dealing with the issues of crate training is MY problem, not their adoptive families.

Reactions: Karen519 and hollyk

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Ranger

Ranger

Can't wait to hear about the pups you're fostering.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts