Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been feeling pretty lucky lately, that I have not had an ice tumble. Switch to today.

I already had a headache (self induced) and I was walking the bumpasses in the park about an hour ago. There is just enough snow to cover the **** ice. I stepped up into a hill to avoid an older guy with a beautiful golden and splat, went down and hit my butt, then my back and then cracked my head.

I never let go of the leash though and the guy came over to see if I was OK. The dogs were all scared (even his) but I got up, brushed the snow off and moved on.

Why can't I fall when no one is around? I'm fine but sore already. No camera in hand unfortunately.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Glad you weren't injured too bad. I hate that sneaky ice that hides out beneath covering of snow. It can put you down of the ground in a heartbeat. I know I have pulled muscles in my back and sides before just from trying to avoid the fall.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
WOW! Be careful!!!
I don't mean to scare you but we all need to take falling seriously.

People laugh when someone falls down and they shouldn't. Last week,my friend's good friend in Austin slipped and fell in her office, thought she was fine and went unconsious from a brain bleed during the night and died. She was my age but otherwise in excellent health so very scary stuff.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Deb, but I'm OK (I think), DH is talking about rushing me to the hospital (where no one will know if I die :))

Reading the forum is far more fun.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
OUCH !!!! Hope you're feeling better, and won't be sore tomorrow.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hope your Ok. I have had this happen a few times in the winter when walking The Girls. It's often very icy here in the winter. I finally invested in a pair of Yak Trax. I call them my "snow tires" They easily slip on over winter boots and really do give excellent traction on the ice. I wouldn't be without them and they are not all that expensive.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Hope your Ok. I have had this happen a few times in the winter when walking The Girls. It's often very icy here in the winter. I finally invested in a pair of Yak Trax. I call them my "snow tires" They easily slip on over winter boots and really do give excellent traction on the ice. I wouldn't be without them and they are not all that expensive.
I second the Yak Trax! Both DH and I wouldn't be without them!
http://www.rei.com/search?query=yaks+trax&button.x=0&button.y=0

I would go get looked at, Deb's story scared me! You might have problems later. Hugs!!!!

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have two pairs of Yak Trax! I was just too lazy to put them on (big dufus here). I'm going to take a hot bath after I clean the dog hair out of the tub!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Ouch! I hate when that happens! I have been a Yak Trax'er for a few years...once they go on my boot at first ice...they will stay on till Mud season! They can be slippery on ceramic tile (ie grocery store, Post Office...) so be careful inside with them on!

Tailer has an offer...I kan come ober n kissie u r bummie to make u peel betterz, K? N eyi kan gibe u da smooch on da bac ob u r head 2, K? Den I will plawy wiff da Abbie n da Finnie. --Da Nurze Tailer Dawgie

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ouch! I hate when that happens! I have been a Yak Trax'er for a few years...once they go on my boot at first ice...they will stay on till Mud season! They can be slippery on ceramic tile (ie grocery store, Post Office...) so be careful inside with them on!

Tailer has an offer...I kan come ober n kissie u r bummie to make u peel betterz, K? N eyi kan gibe u da smooch on da bac ob u r head 2, K? Den I will plawy wiff da Abbie n da Finnie. --Da Nurze Tailer Dawgie
You are too funny! Yep, the bumm is feeling very sore! Abby and Finn would love to play with Tailor!

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
have your DH keep an eye on you tonight!!! Don't go to sleep! (just kidding!)

Sorry I scared you but that story from Austin was horrifying! How quick things can change!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
That had to hurt so bad. Take a long hot bubble bath and relax. I know you were enbarrassed but thank goodness that man had been there in case something did happen. That happened to me the last time I came to Iowa years ago. Hubby said be careful there is ice in the parking lot and I said no problem, I see it. Walked right onto some ice and went sliding and squelling like a banchee trying to get my balance and then fell right in front of a truck. Luckily the truck saw me and they didnt hit me as they were laughing their butts off. Hubby said didnt I tell you and I said yes but I did see it. BIG WHITE SPOT didnt look like ice to a Floridian. LOL

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I've been feeling pretty lucky lately, that I have not had an ice tumble. Switch to today.

I already had a headache (self induced) and I was walking the bumpasses in the park about an hour ago. There is just enough snow to cover the **** ice. I stepped up into a hill to avoid an older guy with a beautiful golden and splat, went down and hit my butt, then my back and then cracked my head.

I never let go of the leash though and the guy came over to see if I was OK. The dogs were all scared (even his) but I got up, brushed the snow off and moved on.

Why can't I fall when no one is around? I'm fine but sore already. No camera in hand unfortunately.
In Greenland we called them "snow snakes"... They sneak up and bite you when you least expect it.:D

·
Registered
913 Posts
Sounds like you need to go get a massage...as a husband of a licensed massage therapist I think I'm required to pass on that advice.

Hope the stiffness works it's way out.

I know falling isn't funny, but I had to laugh that you call the dogs "bumpasses"......shouldn't it be the other way around.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Been there, done that. Once I was leading my horse out to the riding arena. On an icey hill. With smooth leather riding boots. I was upright for all of 2 seconds. I never let go of the reins, horsey stopped and looked the other way like "I'm not with HER!"

I feel your pain. Take a warm shower and keep gently moving.

((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))

·
Registered
369 Posts
ouch!! reminds me of a few weeks ago, it snowed hard, and took a while for the ice to go away. i went to go get some small grocery's and came back parked in a spot i hadn't before, grabbed the grocery's out of the front seat, stepped out of the car my right foot slipped sideways and i landed on my knee / Elbow so hard i thought i broke my arm. not to mention i smooched all my grocery's :( Now I look at the ground before I get out of my car! lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts