Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I have scheduled an appointment for this afternoon. I'd just like to pick your brains for a minute. My oldest dog is a 10 year old pug/min pin mix or the designer breed "Carlin Pinscher" She is a shelter dog that we adopted when she she less than a year old, or so we were told. She has always been a resource guarder, always with food and always with the other dogs. Never had a problem with her around kids or people in general. She was lying beside me on the couch last night when my granddaughter came up and scratched down the couch with her fingernails. (I have no idea why other than she's 8)

Emmy went after her. Scared the crap out of my granddaughter. Emmy was 100% serious. She didn't touch her with her teeth but left a welt from a scratch the length of Lydia's hand. We checked Lydia this morning and there's a very faint mark, no broken skin.

Any thoughts into any health related issues that may have caused her to snap like that? I don't think 10 is real old for a less than 20 lb dog. She SEEMS healthy. As much as we love Emmy, we just can't allow the behavior. It's not as simple as locking her up, Lydia lives with us and has been with us for almost 3 years. They have not been around each other since the incident.

Photo of the little bugger....

Attachments

·
Kristy
9,397 Posts
I'm sorry for your upset. Glad that the skin wasn't broken. All I can think was that Emmy was relaxing with you, warm, comfortable, maybe almost asleep? (are you sure she was awake?) And Lydia came up and made this horrible, grating noise that disturbed everything. Obviously Emmy was serious about her warning, but if she'd been dead serious, Lydia would have needed a trip to the E.R. It was a warning. If Lydia is not a special needs child, I am thinking it's time to have a talk with her about steering clear of Emmy. She is old enough to give her space and I'm thinking Emmy has probably taught her a lesson she won't forget.

When is the last time that Emmy has had a check up? It might make you feel better to take her in for some blood work or a more in depth well check. I know some small dogs make it to 16 but many do not and if she had a tough start in life, she may be more tired and unwell than you thought.

I would have the big talk with Lydia and then invest in an exercise pen or two and some very cushy dog beds so that you can manage interactions but still have Emmy out with the family. At the very least if you rule out the health issue question, you need to consider if she was guarding her peace on the couch with you that she doesn't need to be up on furniture anymore. I know you've had Emmy longer than you've had Lydia, but next time might not be just a warning.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took her in and the vet did a thorough examination. She actually said if she were to meet her on The street, she would have never guessed she was so old. Her teeth were even in great shape although she’s lost one along the way. We are waiting on blood work to come back for any underlying conditions.

She could have been startled. I’m just not sure. Yes, we will be watching both of them more closely. Lydia knows how to behave around dogs. Obviously, she know not to do what she did again. Gates have never worked in the past since she’s a climber, but it might be time to try them again.

I don’t tolerate aggressive behavior. Having a child and 4 dogs in the house, I just can’t allow it. We will come up with a management plan if it continues.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vet just called and she thinks we have the early stages of kidney disease. We will test again next month and decide for there what to do. Until then she is willing to prescribe some anti-anxiety meds which I will be deciding on. She will be watched very carefully in the future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts