Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I think I am down to deciding between two litters, both of which are on the ground and will be ready in late January and early February. I have talked to a couple of folks on this forum but wanted to throw this out and get some additional thoughts if you would please. I thought I'd post this in the Hunt & Field forum since these are half field lines and I will be hunting this dog. Plus, you guys are knowledgeable on the field pedigrees.

Both are through TopBrass. Both have a field dog line on the dam side and a multipurpose sire.

I am not going to show these dogs. I want to hunt dove and quail with the dog and get into hunt tests. I may do some obedience. I've never tried the game but have been looking at a few of the local retriever and hrc clubs and will hook up with some of those folks and clubs when I get my pup. I more than likely won't get into FT's and above all want a buddy and hunting companion. This will be my first dog since I was a kid so I wanted one that has medium drive, has a great temperment, loves to retrieve, is intelligent and a great companion & family member that I can hang out with, take camping, to the lake and be buds with. I didn't want field lines on both sides b/c it was suggested to me and I agree that a dog of that nature would have too much go for me. A dog with some conformation on one side would provide a more calm dog/pet, etc.

http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=353046 (Jagger is a Yogi pup and Milla is a FC/AFC Glenhaven HTRS MN Baronet MH FDHF daughter and both of Milla's sides go back to Holway Barty)

http://www.topbrass-retrievers.com/soxphlyerped.htm (Sox has Push, Cotton and Eli. Phlyer is an OS with some great offspring. This is a repeat breeding and one of the pups from the last litter is Phenway who's owner has posted pics of on this site. Phenway is an awesome dog and great looking too)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Merry Christmas to all!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Jeff, I have seen Jagger run at hunt test. He is a very nice dog and he loves upland test! He seems very laid back until it is test time and he puts his game face on. His owners are nice and true dog lovers.
I don't think I have seen Milla run but I have seen a couple of Glen Crawfords dogs at test. They are all loaded with drive.
Sorry I don't know much about the second breeding but i am sure Jackie Mertens will lead you in the right direction.
Enjoy your new pup!
Jim

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I'm in South Florida and I've also seen Jagger at a hunt test and although I'm definitely a rank novice, I was very impressed. Jagger also has attended many events that the local golden retriever breed club has hosted, serving as "demo dog" to show everyone what it's like to have a golden that can retrieve the birds. I second the comment about his owners--they are committed to the standard of a versatile retriever and they enjoy all sorts of games and sports with Jagger and their other dogs. I've also spoken with Glen Crawford and he is very nice and I like a breeder/owner/handler who participates in different sports with their dogs too (I've seen him in obedience and his dogs always have a blast).

I am sure the other litter is very nice too--Jackie Mertens is one of the "master breeders" in the world of goldens and the more information you provide her, the more she will help you in choosing the right pup for you. Good luck--any choice you make will be the right one! Thought you might enjoy a photo that ran in the local breed club newsletter of Jagger and half-brother Zappa during a Halloween picnic--Jagger is the one on the right--such cute clowns!

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much guys...that picture is hilarious!

This is exactly the info I was hoping for. I was leaning in the Jagger direction and I think this confirms some of what I was thinking.

It's always tough pulling that trigger on the first go-round!

Thank you both and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I absolutely adore Phlyer, and had actually looked into the Phlyer and Sox breeding myself while I was puppy looking over the summer. But for what you are looking for I would probably lean towards the Jagger litter. The only downside to that is it appears to be his first breeding so you don't have any kind of background on what he produces.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I think Rappwizard had a great idea, tell the breeder what you want and let them pick the puppy who will suit you to a tee.

They know their dogs best and reputable breeders like you're referring to want only what's best for the puppies, not their best interests.

Our breeder helped us pick a puppy and she picked the PERFECT dog for me.
I couldn't have done it better myself.

Good luck and have fun w/ your puppy.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I know Jagger had a litter that he sired about 3 or so months ago; the only reason I know is because he is a South Florida Golden and I live in South Florida so I tend to know more about the South Florida dogs--this is just an update for Louisiana.

This is one of the photos that was in breed club newsletter--this is the pick bitch, Jade, and she is already getting used to hunt tests--cool vest! The second photo is Jade with her dam, Moonstruck's Lady Emily Jane, and Jagger--this also was in the breed club newsletter. They're mislabeled--Jade is in the center. photo.jpg

Attachments

·
the party's crashing us
4,307 Posts
WOW cute puppy!!! I haven't read the newsletter yet obviously! :)
Mike sent me the pic of the 3 of them, which I promptly titled, "Puppy the vampire slayer" tee hee :)

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
I have a Bart daughter and absolutely love her. Bart has produced well, and the few Bart grandkids I have met personally have been really nice dogs and I have heard good things about others that I have not met. I would say that it is a line that produces great dogs.

This is the second Yogi son x Bart daughter I have seen recently. I am curious to see how the breedings work out.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone know what brand vest that is? It is cool! I can't quite make it out in the picture. I'd love to get one like it.

I know Jagger had a litter that he sired about 3 or so months ago; the only reason I know is because he is a South Florida Golden and I live in South Florida so I tend to know more about the South Florida dogs--this is just an update for Louisiana.

This is one of the photos that was in breed club newsletter--this is the pick bitch, Jade, and she is already getting used to hunt tests--cool vest! The second photo is Jade with her dam, Moonstruck's Lady Emily Jane, and Jagger--this also was in the breed club newsletter. They're mislabeled--Jade is in the center. View attachment 67645

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bart seemed like an incredible dog from everything I've read about him.

I have a Bart daughter and absolutely love her. Bart has produced well, and the few Bart grandkids I have met personally have been really nice dogs and I have heard good things about others that I have not met. I would say that it is a line that produces great dogs.

This is the second Yogi son x Bart daughter I have seen recently. I am curious to see how the breedings work out.

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
I would also agree that the JaggerXMilla combo looks best for what you are after. With Expo and Yogi up top both sides are bringing some workability with sensibility to the table.
My friend liked what she got from her Bart breeding so much she plans to repeat it using frozen if she can.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,589 Posts
I think you'll have a better chance of getting what you're looking for out of Jagger x Milla litter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts