Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Jamie
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

This is my first time posting, I've been reading posts for a while and love the great advice you all give. I'm looking to get another golden this year and would like some help looking at pedigrees. I've found a breeder that comes highly recommended, PrairieWyn Goldens. Now she has two females that both got bred this week and I wanted to get your guys' thoughts on the breedings. Below are the two potential litters. I've done lots of research and everything seems to be in order, but I'm still a newbie at this and wanted to get some experts opinions!

​INT& UKC CH & AKC GCH CH Hillside That's A Winner RN CGC http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=485556
"Buck"
X
Anthem's One Two Buckle My Shoe http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=584140
​"Ivy"

or

​WINGATE'S WE'RE GONNA NEED A BIGGER BOAT
"Brodie" http://k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=557155
X
PrairieWyns Shining On Me
"Harper" http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=522991

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Kristy
10,128 Posts
What are your intentions for your puppy? Why are you set on this breeder? Just curious? Is she in South Dakota? Or are you just liking the timing?

Personally I would pass on the first one (this is just me) because even though the parents have elbow clearances, when I look through the OFA stats on the sire side, close relatives, the grandmother is missing elbows yet has multiple siblings with elbow disease and has multiple aunts and uncles with elbow issues as well. As you trace back you keep seeing elbows. When a very popular sire has a lot of offspring tested and listed you will certainly see more issues, but it seems like that line has a consistent number with not as many dogs tested.

·
Jamie
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ultimately family pet, but I would like to potentially try my hand at obedience trials and getting him/her certified as a therapy dog. I live in South Dakota and unfortunately there are very limited options near here (this breeder is in Iowa). I had originally chosen a different breeder in Minnesota, but backed off after finding out she didn't have all the clearances on her females. Plus she had a requirement that I commit to feeding a certain dog food for the entire life of the dog, which I just wasn't comfortable with.

I had actually come to the same conclusion as you when looking at both potential pedigrees. The second one just seems to have overall healthier lines/more consistent clearances. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some big with this litter! Thank you for responding :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
response: thoughts on these 2 potential litters

I realize this post is dated 10 months ago, but I'm just reading it. in regards to: ​INT& UKC CH & AKC GCH CH Hillside That's A Winner RN CGC http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=485556
"Buck" --- I can tell you that he produced a pup with severe subaortic stenosis. The breeder that has the female that produced this pup did not disclose this information, other than stating the pup had "an insignificant heart murmur" when in fact, the breeder had an echo performed at 3 mo which diagnosed mild/moderate SAS. A cardiologist performed another echo at 1 yr of age, when the heart was fully developed and diagnosed severe subaortic stenosis.

Hello Everyone,

This is my first time posting, I've been reading posts for a while and love the great advice you all give. I'm looking to get another golden this year and would like some help looking at pedigrees. I've found a breeder that comes highly recommended, PrairieWyn Goldens. Now she has two females that both got bred this week and I wanted to get your guys' thoughts on the breedings. Below are the two potential litters. I've done lots of research and everything seems to be in order, but I'm still a newbie at this and wanted to get some experts opinions!

​INT& UKC CH & AKC GCH CH Hillside That's A Winner RN CGC Pedigree: INT& UKC CH & AKC GCH CH Hillside That's A Winner RN BN CGCA
"Buck"
X
Anthem's One Two Buckle My Shoe Pedigree: Anthem One Two Buckle My Shoe BISS
​"Ivy"

or

​WINGATE'S WE'RE GONNA NEED A BIGGER BOAT
"Brodie" Pedigree: GCH Wingate's We're Gonna Need A Bigger Boat BISS
X
PrairieWyns Shining On Me
"Harper" Pedigree: PrairieWyn's Shining On Me

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
9,155 Posts
I realize this post is dated 10 months ago, but I'm just reading it. in regards to: ​INT& UKC CH & AKC GCH CH Hillside That's A Winner RN CGC http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=485556
"Buck" --- I can tell you that he produced a pup with severe subaortic stenosis. The breeder that has the female that produced this pup did not disclose this information, other than stating the pup had "an insignificant heart murmur" when in fact, the breeder had an echo performed at 3 mo which diagnosed mild/moderate SAS. A cardiologist performed another echo at 1 yr of age, when the heart was fully developed and diagnosed severe subaortic stenosis.
That's half of any equation. It would be wrong to blame the stud dog only for an SAS in a puppy. Bred to another bitch he might never produce another SAS.... I do not know him or have any opinion on him otherwise, but it is good to know that he and the Anthem bitch produced SAS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Correction

The severe SAS puppy that Buck produced was NOT with Anthem, it was with a Hillside bitch, Dakota Orange Blossom Express.
That's half of any equation. It would be wrong to blame the stud dog only for an SAS in a puppy. Bred to another bitch he might never produce another SAS.... I do not know him or have any opinion on him otherwise, but it is good to know that he and the Anthem bitch produced SAS.

·
Registered
9,155 Posts
The severe SAS puppy that Buck produced was NOT with Anthem, it was with a Hillside bitch, Dakota Orange Blossom Express.
I misread- sorry.
But the bitch you state here, Pedigree: Dakota Orange Blossom Express is not a Hillside bitch either... I'd call it mostly a Summit/Dakota pedigree.
There's no excuse to minimize a condition to people- that's dishonest. But no matter who the dam is, the stud dog is still only half the equation.....unless there are bunches with different bitches, then one might be able to blame only him.

·
the party's crashing us
4,363 Posts
Sh*t happens that's why we do clearances. Bred enough every stud dog is going to produce one of everything. If it's a trend and you're seeing it in multiple litters then that is a concern. Very sorry for your situation but it's unfair to solely blame the stud dog.

Reactions: hotel4dogs

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Did everything turn out well with the other hearts , and that was an anomaly ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts