Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Pretty much the experience of one of my friends :( I don't believe the lepto vaccine lasts for a full year-she vaccinated twice a year the last time I spoke with her. She tracks and does field work, not to mention just living in this rural area comes with a lot of exposure. The vets in the area have seen a huge increase in lepto.
In our case the first time the dogs got the vaccination there were 2 shots, 2 or 3 weeks apart. I don't remember the exact time frame because Barkley's lepto crisis really stressed us out and we were on autopilot. In subsequent years we get a once a year booster, but we time it to almost the date. We never give it with any other vaccinations and if the dog is feeling off we don't do it.

We are in a very urban area but our house is about a mile from a large inner city lake and park. The Interior Dept gave the park an Urban Wildlife Refuge designation and they tend to travel to the residential areas. We've had all sorts of critters climb over our fence and mess around in our back yard. We also walk in our neighborhood and we used to have resident raccoons in our alley. Our vet thought they are the most likely carriers at the time. She was cautioning me that whenever we dig in our yard we should wear gloves because we can catch lepto if the conditions are right. There are certain worms you can pick up too with ungloved hands or walking barefoot.:yuck: I think the most potential exposure for lepto is when the soil is moist, saturated or damp from recent rains. Here in Texas if it's a typical dry blazing hot day the lepto won't live too long on the soil. In the spring and fall though it's a different story. The week before Barkley was ill we walked at the lake park in a wooded area with lots of damp leaves. If we only knew then what we found out a week later...

It makes you want to put booties on the dogs for any walks!

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
We live on a farm, with a creek running thru our property. We also raised cattle at one time, and have plenty of critters running thru and around our place. My vet is pretty well versed and up to date on current vaccination procedures, knows where we live and has advised me my 4 should receive lepto vaccinations, so we do it. Dogs tolerate it well and none have had any adverse reactions.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
The lepto vaccine only covers one strain. Thats one of the big reasons Dr.Dodds does not recommend it. http://www.doglogic.com/vaccination.htm
She also says, on the page you linked, "Lepto titers are not diagnostic yet (in other words they can titer for it, but haven't developed a proven Titer for Lepto yet), so if you have Lepto in the area, you should get the vaccine if your vet suggests."

She also discusses the new (at the time the page was written) multistrain lepto vaccine.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
My doc had always recommended against Lymes and Lepto vaccines because of previously stated reasons. But this year he said there is not only a new vaccine that he has more faith in, it is safer too. So I had mine vaccinated for Lepto and Anaplasmosis, and I have been doing Lyme since Finn tested positive.

It seems like a lot to do to their immune system, but as they say, you pay your money and you take your chances. Good luck with your decision.
Wait, Anaplasmosis vaccination? Is that really out?

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Yes. A bunch of my friends that use the same vet I do are complaining about how expensive it is. Abby and Finn get a booster next Tuesday but they had no reaction to the first shots.
Do you know any more about it? I know they developed one for cattle (for the Anaplasma marginale strain, maybe?), and then it went away, and then it came back, but I didn't know they had one that actually immunized dogs against Anaplasma phagocytophilum.

So cool! Jax doesn't have it and Comet does (Gus did too), so I know they're exposed regularly, and it would be great to give him another layer of protection.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Do you know any more about it? I know they developed one for cattle (for the Anaplasma marginale strain, maybe?), and then it went away, and then it came back, but I didn't know they had one that actually immunized dogs against Anaplasma phagocytophilum.

So cool! Jax doesn't have it and Comet does (Gus did too), so I know they're exposed regularly, and it would be great to give him another layer of protection.
I googled it and did not come up with anything credible to cite. I know Dr. Anderson had a sheet explaining it, when I go back for the boosters next week I will get a copy. Lepto is the one he was really passionate about because he said he has seen a lot of cases lately and even if the dogs pull through, they usually have organ damage.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I googled it and did not come up with anything credible to cite. I know Dr. Anderson had a sheet explaining it, when I go back for the boosters next week I will get a copy. Lepto is the one he was really passionate about because he said he has seen a lot of cases lately and even if the dogs pull through, they usually have organ damage.
Please do. I would really, really appreciate it. We haven't had a single issue with Lyme yet, and I believe that's due to the combination of Frontline and the vaccine (lord knows they've been exposed many times). I would love it if we could get a similar level of protection from Anaplasmosis.

Lepto seems common around here too. I do have the dogs vaccinated for it. The risk of adverse side effects is very real with all vaccines, but in most situations, the number of dogs who suffer serious side effects is absolutely tiny relative to the number of dogs protected from serious illness.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Well I just checked my pet portal at the vets and they were not, in fact, vaccinated against anaplasmosis :(. Just Lepto and Lymes, because as Brian said, there is no vaccination for anaplasmosis. I must of been dreaming about TBD's again.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Well I just checked my pet portal at the vets and they were not, in fact, vaccinated against anaplasmosis :(. Just Lepto and Lymes, because as Brian said, there is no vaccination for anaplasmosis. I must of been dreaming about TBD's again.
:( Bummer. I know there's some promising work being done, and I had hoped that there was really a vaccine out there.

Thanks for checking for me.

·
& Sawyer's & Quinn's too!
2,740 Posts
Wait, Anaplasmosis vaccination? Is that really out?
I was wondering the same thing? I hadn't heard of a vaccine for that?

Oh, okay-Sorry, I got excited and didn't finish reading the thread til after I posted. Bummer

·
2 goldens and a BMD
841 Posts
My two worries are 1. We live in the woods with LOTS of standing water that my boys play in constantly.
2. With Dock Dogs, they're exposed to many other dogs AND water.
Our vet said it is becoming prevalent in our area, and that it's communicable to humans
My vet said the same thing this year. It's never been suggested to us in years past, but this year I was told I should consider it because it's becoming more prevalent in the area. And not only in the rural areas, but in the cities too. For now I'm holding off and not getting it (I usually titer instead of vaccinate anyway).

21 - 33 of 33 Posts