Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
I come to this discussion having gotten dogs from backyard breeders or shelters for most of my life. That changed only after I joined the GRF and learned from people here. (Thanks, folks.) The one pup I have from a reputable breeder was assigned to us by the breeder because the little girl had been born with contracted tendons in all four paws and she needed people who would love her, care for those paws, and not demand too much from her. Of course, she needs a job and demands a great deal from us. :D

When I was dealing with backyard breeders and shelters, I let the pups pick me, not the other way around. When I got my Charlie, I was looking for a female. I sat on the ground for hours with the pups, trying my best to win over the little girls, who were really not interested at all. But there was this one little guy who kept crawling into my lap and licking at my face, over and over again, no matter how many times I pushed him away. Finally I looked down at him and said, "You win. I'll write the check." At eight weeks old and from a large litter, Charlie never once cried for his mom or litter mates. He made it clear that he owned me from the beginning right up to his last breath at almost 13 years old. He was my King of Cuddles and Cookie Monster and I never regretted his choice.

As others have said, work with a breeder you trust and a selection process that you're comfortable with. I wager any Golden puppy in the world will own your heart in very little time.

·
Steadfast
262 Posts
Nobody will not those puppies better than your breeder and you spending an afternoon or even several afternoons will not give you close to an idea of the puppies quirks, likes or dislikes as what the breeder has. The goal is to make sure they get to know you and what you are looking for and then they match your family with that specific puppy best suited for you. If you go with a reputable breeder you will have great success doing this.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Our breeder picked our Yogi for us the first week of December. I, for one, think she made a wonderful match! I trusted her opinions and I'm very happy with the result. :)

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
As has been said, a good breeder has a notebook full of observations about each and every puppy. In fact, there may have been other Golden experts brought to the house over the previous few weeks who also helped evaluate the pups. So the simple fact is that you can't learn enough in one or two sessions with the litter in order to make as good a decision.

However, a breeder can learn that much about you, because you can talk. If you talk about your lifestyle, your expectations, and your plans, the breeder can get a very good idea about you very quickly. So the breeder is the person with the most information and the most expertise and therefore the best input on which puppy goes with which person.

That said, it's nice when a breeder values your opinion. Some buyers really don't know what to look for or have read one article about pinning puppies upside down to pick them based on how much they struggle (that's a real thing, btw). Some buyers might be experienced Golden owners or even have specific competition goals. A tactful breeder would listen to your input about which puppy you liked or what you saw.

When I saw Comet's litter, I saw the litter twice, and I picked the same puppy both times as the one who had the right qualities for me. His breeder was very, very clear that the ultimate decision came down to her, but she listened to me, and she told me what she had observed and compared it to what I had observed. She also had more serious competition homes lined up who would take priority on the dogs with working potential.

Still, I ended up with my pick puppy and she ended up agreeing that we were a good match. I think that's the best kind of situation. I do have some expertise in evaluating a puppy, and I appreciate being worked with. At the same time, I know that I go to a good breeder because that person has more expertise and experience than I do, and that person simply has far, far more information on a puppy's overall behavior than I can get in the window of an hour or two.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
It is very common for responsible breeders to select the puppy for the best matching home. They see the puppies' personalities everyday from day 1 and can have a better idea which pups will do better in which type of home. When you visit a puppy on one day you only get a brief glimpse into the personality.

If you trust your breeder and she has spoken with you about the type of puppy that you are looking for, trust her judgement. If you have any concerns ask now before bringing the puppy home.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
A little more food for thought:
My situation was a little different, in that my breeder also happens to be my father. When Jersey's litter was born I was going to school in Indiana, but had travelled home for an extended Christmas break and got to spend a significant amount of time with the litter from about 3.5 to 6.5 weeks old. I was particularly in love with the little male with the black collar. It was much like those "he picked me" stories you hear all time time, but repeated over the course of many consecutive days. He was always the first one to come up to me. He loved to sleep and snuggle in my lap. I loved him dearly and felt that he loved me too. He was my choice and my breeder/dad knew it. There was another home that was actually "pick male" because she was a very experienced competition home and I believe a serious breeding prospect (her other dogs were schipperkes, and she had quite a respected name with them). I just hoped she wouldn't pick my little black boy and waited until temperament testing day. She was going to attend and observe and make her pick then.

The testing day arrived and my dad called me to fill me in on the details. The woman had selected the boy with the red collar. He showed great potential structurally and a little bit of a stronger will than the other pups and was apparently exactly what she was looking for. So my little black boy was still available BUT he really really really wanted me to consider the little white boy. My father felt he was truly the pick of the litter, with much the same potential structurally and the perfect aptitude for the types of activities I wished to pursue. There was nothing wrong or worrying about the black boy but this white one was just absolutely stellar based on both the results of that day's testing and everything he had observed over the past 8 weeks. I was a little crestfallen and confused about what to do, but ultimately I went with my breeder/dad's advice. I never regretted that choice for a moment. 7 years later and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that it was the right decision. We've received updates on that little black boy (who's not so little anymore ;)) and he's a wonderful, beautiful dog but the truth is that Jersey is absolutely the dog I was meant to own. He is my heart and I wouldn't trade him for anything in the world.

All this is to say that even with a wider exposure to the puppies than most potential owners are able to get... it's still very likely that the breeder, with all the tools available to him or her, is in the best position to make the most perfect match. Having the breeder choose for you is a foreign concept to most people, because most people (as someone mentioned above) don't put in the time and research that you did to find a reputable breeder. Don't let those people make you doubt your decision. You were okay with it when you chose this breeder and I have every reason to believe that you will be more than happy with the end result. Good luck with your new pup!

Julie, Jersey and Oz

Reactions: DanaRuns

·
Kimberley, Bella's Mum!
1,002 Posts
(sorry...off topic)

That is THE sweetest story about Charlie! Brought tears to my eyes!

I come to this discussion having gotten dogs from backyard breeders or shelters for most of my life. That changed only after I joined the GRF and learned from people here. (Thanks, folks.) The one pup I have from a reputable breeder was assigned to us by the breeder because the little girl had been born with contracted tendons in all four paws and she needed people who would love her, care for those paws, and not demand too much from her. Of course, she needs a job and demands a great deal from us. :D

When I was dealing with backyard breeders and shelters, I let the pups pick me, not the other way around. When I got my Charlie, I was looking for a female. I sat on the ground for hours with the pups, trying my best to win over the little girls, who were really not interested at all. But there was this one little guy who kept crawling into my lap and licking at my face, over and over again, no matter how many times I pushed him away. Finally I looked down at him and said, "You win. I'll write the check." At eight weeks old and from a large litter, Charlie never once cried for his mom or litter mates. He made it clear that he owned me from the beginning right up to his last breath at almost 13 years old. He was my King of Cuddles and Cookie Monster and I never regretted his choice.

As others have said, work with a breeder you trust and a selection process that you're comfortable with. I wager any Golden puppy in the world will own your heart in very little time.

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
Bottom line is trust your breeder. .
I totally agree with this! Picking out a breeder is just as important as picking out a puppy. You want to make sure they are a good match also. One that is understanding of your situation as you are of theirs. Can't be a one way street. Producing a great golden does not make a good breeder, it involves the whole package. Trust is the right word.

Op there are many reps breeders that will want to pick your puppy and there are many that will let you pick. The choice is ultimately yours.

·
Registered
781 Posts
My breeder is actually letting us pick after she picks her show dogs so I believe we will get to pick between 3 puppies. I went to visit them the first time last week, and interestingly enough, aside from one who the breeder did say was somewhat rambunctious, they are all pretty much the same and it's so hard to really get a feel for their personalities within an hour visit. I asked her about the differences in their personalities and she said it's still too hard to tell and they are all pretty similar (aside from that one puppy). We did have our "favorites" after that visit, but the favorites were basically the ones she handed to us first and one fell asleep in my husbands arms and the other I had happened to be eyeing in all of the pictures. But, we didn't get to spend as much time with the other two that could potentially be our puppies, so in a lot of ways I feel like it's not fair of me to say that those two were my favorite when I need to give the others a chance too.

So I guess in some ways I wish our breeder would pick for us, or give more of an input...maybe she will later. I think it's pretty standard practice for the breeder to pick and I've seen several threads on here talking about it and people say their breeder actually matched them up with the puppy they wanted, so it's obvious the breeders do know what they are talking about and have knowledge and expertise that enables them to come up with good matches.

I understand how it could be anxiety provoking because you wont know what dog you end up with but if you have a reputable breeder who is well respected, then you'll have to just put your trust in them that they will pick the right dog for you and your family. One of the reasons I chose our breeder was because she let us pick and I wouldn't change that, I really love our breeder, and I still do feel more comfortable having a say in it. So if it is too uncomfortable for you then I would look elsewhere to see if you can find a respectable breeder who does let you have some say. Good luck!

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,727 Posts
The breeder knows the puppies best even if you visited them frequently you would never know the pups as well as the breeder does.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Our breeder chose Winter for us. Although there were several things our breeder didn't do right, she did an awesome job of matching us with the right dog for our family. I think I am more comfortable with having the breeder choose- I would likely want them ALL!

·
Bernie and Oliver's Mom
1,123 Posts
My boy Oliver chose me :D. my breeder definitely would have stepped in if she didn't think a specific puppy would be good for a specific owner, but for the most part she showed us the temperament testing and let us pick our own based on that (guiding us depending on what we were looking for). I have to say it seems as though they were all very similar from the temperament testing to stories I've heard of their growing up. But yes, Oliver wobbled right on over to me, latched on (figuratively... and sometime literally) and wouldn't let go - this happened every time I visited.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Bringing back an older thread here, BUT

I was curious, of those of you who had your puppy chosen for you by the breeder, when did you find out which pup you would be matched with? The day of pick-up, a few days before? Only reason I am asking is because we are picking up on Monday, and still don't know if we are getting a male or female. They performed all of the puppy testing earlier this week. I didn't know if I should expect to know before we go pick it up, but I think it would be nice to at least know what gender dog we are getting. What were your experiences?

I did send an email asking this question to the breeder, I am just curious when you all found out.

·
Finley and Banshee's Mom
1,414 Posts
Congratulations, you must be sooo excited!

Our breeders for both dogs knew we wanted girls and neither asked if we would be willing to take a boy. With our doberman we didn't know if we'd even be able to have one until 2 days before we brought her home. We had been in ongoing frequent contact with the breeder from before the dam was even bred but no promise for a pup until after the evals. We knew the evals would taking place that week, didn't have an exact day. Got a call the day before Christmas asking if we still wanted a pup and found out we would be getting "purple girl".

With Finley, our breeder lets the buyer pick with her input. It goes in order of deposit. We were last on the list so no picking there, however had there been more than one to pick from I would have chosen by her recommendation knowing what we wanted to do with her.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Bringing back an older thread here, BUT

I was curious, of those of you who had your puppy chosen for you by the breeder, when did you find out which pup you would be matched with? The day of pick-up, a few days before? Only reason I am asking is because we are picking up on Monday, and still don't know if we are getting a male or female. They performed all of the puppy testing earlier this week. I didn't know if I should expect to know before we go pick it up, but I think it would be nice to at least know what gender dog we are getting. What were your experiences?

I did send an email asking this question to the breeder, I am just curious when you all found out.

I heard the field/bird puppy testing on your litter was done yesterday. :) I bet you hear something soon.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
We knew what sex we were getting both times - in Kea's litter, there were only two boys. We knew we'd be getting a girl, and in the end, the breeder chose 3 of the six girls that she felt would be a good fit for us. When I went to bring her home, the breeder and I spent time together going over each one and we sort of decided together.

With Harris, we wanted a boy and we basically chose between two boys after the litter had been evaluated. For him, we had to make our choice site-unseen because the breeder was in a different state. We saw a lot of pictures though and had a lot of information from the breeder on the puppies' personalities.

In both cases, we ended up with just the right puppy for us and in both cases, had breeders in whom we placed our full trust.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I was allowed to specify which sex I wanted (or to back out of the litter if there was not a puppy of the sex I chose) but did not know which pup was mine until the day I picked him up. I got him a day or two earlier than his litter mates were allowed to go home because I had to travel so far to get him though, and I think the breeder had just gotten his final temperament testing done that week. But I'd think your breeder would be able to tell you by now which one is yours.

Congrats, this is very exciting. Post pics when you get a chance!

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
How exciting!! I bet you'll know soon, like holly said. All I knew about Archer before I went to pick him up was that he was male. He was kind of the little miracle puppy that fell into my life. I had called the breeder just a few days before the pups were 8 weeks and ready to be picked up. She interviewed me over the phone for about half an hour before letting me know there was one boy left in his litter and I could have him. I was so happy just to finally have a puppy!! I'd been searching breeders for months trying to find one with a litter available before July and that would sell to me as a college student who was about to move. I had gotten pretty sad thinking it was never going to happen for me. I hadn't had a dog in 14 years because my parents wouldn't allow me one and I was finally on my own. Basically, whichever puppy you get, you will love it unconditionally. And hopefully it will be the absolutely perfect puppy like archer is for me.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts