Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

We have been searching for our very first puppy and would appreciate if anybody is willing to help review clearances on a litter that we are interested in pursuing.

Sire: SR99299502
Dam: SR90140805
*We noticed that the listed AKC registration# for the Dam on the pedigree link is missing the last 0.

Are there any other questions we should consider asking the breeder (ex: visiting puppies before they are ready for their forever homes, breeder choosing puppies vs. buyer choosing puppies)?

·
Registered
9,505 Posts
Temperament testing isn't meant for puppy buyers to administer.
The entire litter must be tested, BY A PERSON TRAINED in what numbers to assign to what behaviors (because there are many variations on any given behavior- puppies don't just do one of 5 things when presented w an umbrella for instance). And no great breeder is going to let a buyer TT the litter, or choose their own puppy. Testing must be done at 7 weeks, and some sort of TTing is usually done by breeder, whether hiring it out to a qualified person, or watching themselves from afar and admin'd by a friend. While this video is a great GirlScout project (though I am shocked it got a Gold Award-seems much more to Bronze level effort) leaving out/changing things like touch sensitivity (and it appears forgiveness is no longer a part of this test? I haven't read the test parameters in about 15 years, having memorized it back then) and using the breeder as scorer would totally skew the results.

·
Super Moderator
1,358 Posts
Forgiveness was part of the last TT I did. It’s a modified version of Volhard, but I still had to pinch toes to see if they would cry and then see if they would forgive me. It’s so much fun to be the tester for a litter of well-bred Golden puppies.

·
Registered
33 Posts
And no great breeder is going to let a buyer TT the litter, or choose their own puppy.
With that, i don't agree with. Else-ways, it's like when you want to buy a car and go to car dealership, where dealership decides and picks out the car for you, without you having no say of what make, model, color, conf etc of a car you want. Let alone test drive it.

·
Registered
9,505 Posts
Forgiveness was part of the last TT I did. It’s a modified version of Volhard, but I still had to pinch toes to see if they would cry and then see if they would forgive me. It’s so much fun to be the tester for a litter of well-bred Golden puppies.
I test a lot of litters- it is quite a different scenario to test a litter that's well-socialized compared to one who wasn't exposed to much .. and I think there is also a difference in thrifty vs non-thrifty puppies, tested my first 'not well' litter not long ago,and I apparently was the first person who noticed they weren't well... recently heard from breeder that she's still struggling w whips. That litter, they appeared to be about 4-5 weeks old instead of 7 and while I have tested small puppies before, even small Golden puppies, being unwell made a huge difference.

·
Registered
9,505 Posts
With that, i don't agree with. Else-ways, it's like when you want to buy a car and go to car dealership, where dealership decides and picks out the car for you, without you having no say of what make, model, color, conf etc of a car you want. Let alone test drive it.
Doesn't much matter if you agree- it is what it is, and what I stated was true.
And comparing a dog to a car, well, cars are products- puppies are living creatures.

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
Except a puppy is not an inanimate object like a car - it's a living, breathing being. It's not just a question of model and colour - those are superficial things. With a puppy, the main selection criterion should be temperament and how well the puppy will fit into the type of life the buyer can offer. The vast, vast majority of puppy buyers don't have the knowledge to determine temperament, and a misinformed Girl Guide video on temperament testing isn't going to help them. As a buyer, you generally meet the pups for the first time on the day you go to make your choice. The breeder has lived with the litter for eight weeks at that point, 24 hours a day. He or she gets to know the puppies individually: their energy level, their assertiveness level, how they interact, what kind of adult dogs they will be. Breeders are so much better-placed to make the right choice. Every puppy I've had has been chosen for me by the breeder, and every one of them has become exactly the kind of dog I asked for.

We get a lot of posts on this Forum from people who have ended up with puppies that are totally unsuited to their lifestyle: families with small children that have resource-guarding puppies, inexperienced owners who have very assertive puppies, inactive families with pups that need a lot of exercise, etc. In every single case, they chose their own puppies. If they'd gone to good breeders who select pups for their buyers and match pups to lifestyles, they wouldn't have had these problems.

If you're comparing buying a puppy to buying a car, you probably need to rethink your priorities. It's fine to have preferences for colour and gender, but those things shouldn't be the main selection criteria when you're choosing a dog. Far from it.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I've administered the test. It's not something for puppy buyers to do. It's more of a 3rd party type thing. Someone who isn't getting a puppy and the puppies don't know needs to do it. I am loving watching the accomplishments of those puppies. It doesn't really mean a whole lot anyway. I got the #1 obedience and conformation pick. Two of her litter mates have an OTCH. She made it to CDX. I decided it's just not her thing but I had promised her breeder that she would get that CDX title. My boy's litter wasn't tested at all. We just knew from the beginning that he was mine. :) He's coming along nicely. We may never get that OTCH but he has the ability. We are working on Utility. On the side, he's learning his Rally Master exercises. His handler on the other hand.....

We all chose our own puppies. These are litters that are meant for performance though!

·
Registered
33 Posts
We get a lot of posts on this Forum from people who have ended up with puppies that are totally unsuited to their lifestyle: families with small children that have resource-guarding puppies, inexperienced owners who have very assertive puppies, inactive families with pups that need a lot of exercise, etc. In every single case, they chose their own puppies. If they'd gone to good breeders who select pups for their buyers and match pups to lifestyles, they wouldn't have had these problems.
The thing is, not every breeder, even reputable one, either doesn't care which pup goes to which family or they haven't done any TT testing beforehand.

My pup is one such example. We made a lot of research before picking a breeder. Breeder we picked, is one of the most reputable ones in Estonia regarding GRs.
We did ask beforehand from the breeder, to TT the pups, so we can get best suited pup for us. Breeder didn't say nothing about it. And we also wanted female, while breeder gave us male. Also, breeder changed the litter from where the pup came from on the last minute. We wanted a pup from breeder's own female dog, with hips: A/A (pedigree: EKL online ) but breeder gave us pup from collaboration with someone else, where the female dog hips are: C/C (pedigree: EKL online ).

Not only that, but once we went to go to pick up our pup, then we learned that he is most active and vocal from the litter and he can become great service dog, with lots of training. He needs well experienced home (e.g mostly 1s and 2s from Volhard). But he is not for 1st time owners, like we are.
And due to this, we have high energy dog with inexperienced owners. Am i happy about it? No. But we have to play the hand we're dealt.

·
Registered
9,505 Posts
Is this a litter you would recommend we skip or pursue? Thank you!
Sorry- it was the TT insert that we got off on, but in post #2 you can see that the dam is lacking a correct heart clearance, her eyes are also out of date.
Most of her pedigree holds foreign clearances, you might should ask for copies of at least her sire/dam clearances , if you decide to go forward.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts