Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have a list of what seems to be reputable breeders from my perusing of the threads on here. Generally it seems that the golden retriever puppies from these breeders (ones that indicate prices on their websites) range from $2,000 to $3,000.

But then there is Sunnyside Goldens who prices their GR puppies at $4,500.

AKC GOLDEN RETRIEVERS | SUNNYSIDE GOLDENS

I am not saying by no means their puppies should be worth less, but I’d just like your thoughts on puppies that are priced a lot more than puppies from known breeders (such as Delmarva, puppies are $3,000). Sunnyside Goldens seems a little more “new” too.

Litters

Or do you think this is due to the increased demands of having a puppy during the pandemic?

What’s a reasonable price for a GR puppy? How about the most you would pay for a quality and healthy one?

Not looking for arguments or judgements here! Just your personal thoughts.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
Right off the bat, Sunnyside shows they are breeding not just Goldens but also doodles. That is a hard pass for me.

In addition to that, they appear to only be breeding their girls to their own boys; which while I wouldn't say it's unheard of, it's definitely suspicious because of all the dogs in the world... what are the odds that your boy is the best choice for all three of your girls?

These are the 2021 breeding plans for their Goldens...
Out of Lincoln
-Rose
-Sunny
-Stella
-Luna
-Scarlett
-Cleopatra

Plus 2 other litters (Lhotse x Pedro and Reign x Mateo)

There are zero registered names on this site. Nor links to their clearances (not even any mention of clearances). I will try to dig up more info if I have the time today but this for me is a hard pass. You can do so much better for much less than $4500.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right off the bat, Sunnyside shows they are breeding not just Goldens but also doodles. That is a hard pass for me.

In addition to that, they appear to only be breeding their girls to their own boys; which while I wouldn't say it's unheard of, it's definitely suspicious because of all the dogs in the world... what are the odds that your boy is the best choice for all three of your girls?

These are the 2021 breeding plans for their Goldens...
Out of Lincoln
-Rose
-Sunny
-Stella
-Luna
-Scarlett
-Cleopatra

Plus 2 other litters (Lhotse x Pedro and Reign x Mateo)

There are zero registered names on this site. Nor links to their clearances (not even any mention of clearances). I will try to dig up more info if I have the time today but this for me is a hard pass. You can do so much better for much less than $4500.
Learned so much from your response, thank you SO much! They’re so popular but that’s probably because they market their business pretty well on social media. I trust your advice only because you made so many good points, definitely removing them from my list now. Appreciate your help!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4500? My thoughts? hahahahahaha at that breeder. My guess would be no clearances and naked the price because of COVID. But, even with clearances, that's an INSANE amount of money for a puppy.
Gosh thank you so much! I thought $4,500k was a lot for a puppy but I’m new so I didn’t really know if I was overthinking it. Glad to know I’m not the only one who thinks that’s a lot!

·
Kristy
9,946 Posts
Over 20 dogs on their site and 15 litters planned between now and summer. How many dogs live in the house with them as pets and how many are living out in kennels full time? Lots of working dogs live in kennels, but typically they have daily training and exercise and work with people - If these dogs are kept purely as breeding stock, what kind of life do they really have? I have to wonder where 15 litters of puppies are raised, in the house? Or out in a kennel? What is the protocol for raising them?

There are clearances claimed for a few of the dogs but no registered names available to research them. No links of any kind. The people have figured out how to farm puppies successfully and are making a killing off of the dogs they produce. Not a setup I'd care to support.

·
Super Moderator
784 Posts
THIS IS NOT THE REAL SUNNYSIDE GOLDENS! THESE PEOPLE ARE PIGGYBACKING OFF OF SOMEONE ELSE'S KENNEL NAME! (Yes, I'm yelling..............) Please do not buy a dog from these frauds.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
THIS IS NOT THE REAL SUNNYSIDE GOLDENS! THESE PEOPLE ARE PIGGYBACKING OFF OF SOMEONE ELSE'S KENNEL NAME! (Yes, I'm yelling..............) Please do not buy a dog from these frauds.
Thank you! Because I was looking Sunnyside up on k9data but they had a different website then this one. This is another excellent point. Plus some of their bitches don't look old enough to be producing. And I still couldn't find any clearance info or registered names of any kind.

OP - fwiw, I just paid $3000 for my girl. She came from health tested parents. $3000 is the high end for my location. Other areas might have reputable litters for less than that. I've seen some reputable breeders in the north east area selling for $1800-$2500 but that was a few years ago. The bottom line is you want registered names so you can verify health clearances on OFA.org. If any breeder isn't willing to provide that information, then it should be a hard pass.

OFA is super handy in that if all the four core clearances are met, they issue what is called a CHIC number. If that number is there, then the dog is up to date on their clearances. The only clearance I might give wiggle room is the EYES cause they are done annually and I haven't sent mine in yet even though we got them done in November. But if I were a breeder, I'd still have my paperwork on hand to show potential buyers. So just be aware and don't meet puppies until you can verify the clearances on the parents. Cause we all know puppies are cute and you're gonna fall in love the first time you see them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Over 20 dogs on their site and 15 litters planned between now and summer. How many dogs live in the house with them as pets and how many are living out in kennels full time? Lots of working dogs live in kennels, but typically they have daily training and exercise and work with people - If these dogs are kept purely as breeding stock, what kind of life do they really have? I have to wonder where 15 litters of puppies are raised, in the house? Or out in a kennel? What is the protocol for raising them?

There are clearances claimed for a few of the dogs but no registered names available to research them. No links of any kind. The people have figured out how to farm puppies successfully and are making a killing off of the dogs they produce. Not a setup I'd care to support.
They’re sneaky! They constantly put updates in their IG stories of them socializing/housebreaking the pups you’d think they’re transparent about how their litters are being raised at first glance. But you make excellent points! Thank you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh that’s awful :( Now I’m definitely going to look into the real Sunnyside Goldens you’re speaking of. Thank you! Your yelling is justified, I am getting a little upset now that they’re charging so much for their puppies after all the points everyone is making on here.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
They’re sneaky! They constantly put updates in their IG stories of them socializing/housebreaking the pups you’d think they’re transparent about how their litters are being raised at first glance. But you make excellent points! Thank you.
TBH - I'm leery of people who are that active on social media. Because it's just marketing. You tag all the cute puppy photos with the popular hashtags and let the people asking for puppies come rolling in. Post often for engagement in the algorithm. That doesn't mean they are actually doing things correctly or following the GRCA COE. Just means they know how to get views and engagement. Goldens are super popular on IG (think the likes of Tucker Budzn). So of course BYBs or mills are gonna use IG to promote their puppies while people are frothing at the mouth over quarantine puppies.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you! Because I was looking Sunnyside up on k9data but they had a different website then this one. This is another excellent point. Plus some of their bitches don't look old enough to be producing. And I still couldn't find any clearance info or registered names of any kind.

OP - fwiw, I just paid $3000 for my girl. She came from health tested parents. $3000 is the high end for my location. Other areas might have reputable litters for less than that. I've seen some reputable breeders in the north east area selling for $1800-$2500 but that was a few years ago. The bottom line is you want registered names so you can verify health clearances on OFA.org. If any breeder isn't willing to provide that information, then it should be a hard pass.

OFA is super handy in that if all the four core clearances are met, they issue what is called a CHIC number. If that number is there, then the dog is up to date on their clearances. The only clearance I might give wiggle room is the EYES cause they are done annually and I haven't sent mine in yet even though we got them done in November. But if I were a breeder, I'd still have my paperwork on hand to show potential buyers. So just be aware and don't meet puppies until you can verify the clearances on the parents. Cause we all know puppies are cute and you're gonna fall in love the first time you see them.
Thank you! I told myself my budget would be around $2,500...$3,000 at most if I have to. But $4,500 plus an extra $500+ to fly the puppy to you? That was crazy to me!

I’ll start researching more on that website! Appreciate you sharing your honest thoughts and experience!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TBH - I'm leery of people who are that active on social media. Because it's just marketing. You tag all the cute puppy photos with the popular hashtags and let the people asking for puppies come rolling in. Post often for engagement in the algorithm. That doesn't mean they are actually doing things correctly or following the GRCA COE. Just means they know how to get views and engagement. Goldens are super popular on IG (think the likes of Tucker Budzn). So of course BYBs or mills are gonna use IG to promote their puppies while people are frothing at the mouth over quarantine puppies.
Huh, that is such a good point. I never thought of it that way. Makes sense, in the forums I read that reputable breeders wouldn’t need to market their puppies on social media. Good stuff to know, I’m writing that one down!

·
Super Moderator
784 Posts
Oh that’s awful :( Now I’m definitely going to look into the real Sunnyside Goldens you’re speaking of. Thank you! Your yelling is justified, I am getting a little upset now that they’re charging so much for their puppies after all the points everyone is making on here.
The real Sunnyside Goldens are my dear friends and are wonderful, reputable breeders. They follow the GRCA COE, are extremely active in our local club (the daughter is our president, the mom is on the board and is the field chair), and every dog they keep is titled in multiple venues. They have 5 or 6 generations of therapy dogs (some have passed now).

Unfortunately, they just sent their most recent litter home about 3 weeks ago and I don't think they are planning on another any time soon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The real Sunnyside Goldens are my dear friends and are wonderful, reputable breeders. They follow the GRCA COE, are extremely active in our local club (the daughter is our president, the mom is on the board and is the field chair), and every dog they keep is titled in multiple venues. They have 5 or 6 generations of therapy dogs (some have passed now).

Unfortunately, they just sent their most recent litter home about 3 weeks ago and I don't think they are planning on another any time soon.
Do you have a link to their website? I’m in absolutely no rush to get a puppy right now, but I still definitely want to look into them!

·
Registered
8,627 Posts
The Elliotts?
It's my pet peeve- I hate it when people steal a kennel name, especially one who does clearances and titles their dogs- and then start using the work those folks did to build their own inadequate program.
I wish they would have reg their kennel name w AKC. What this sort of person does is stealing, nothing less. And if someone will steal they will also lie. Rogues and thieves.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'll say it again. The AKC could prevent many of the issues discussed in this and similar threads.
Like many breeders, the AKC seems more motivated by money than the betterment of any breed.

·
Registered
8,627 Posts
And you would be right- of course- but that'd mean they would have to step beyond being a registry.
I wish it were not so expensive to reg a kennel name. But that'd keep the new and crappy out of the game, qualifying to register one's kennel name has real rules involved.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts