Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Kate
20,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First - note to mods. :) This is not inviting people to post those kinds of threads. It's more a comment to people who just posted such a thread and had it removed... as well as people thinking about posting threads (though, I don't believe some people do that kind of research).

I saw somebody post a thread where they were looking for a champion line stud for their champion line girlie. As always, it struck me that the post came from somebody who needs to know some things and might not realize it...?

1. Before you look for a stud, you need to make sure your girlie has full clearances done. She needs to be 24 months old older. Hips and elbows need to be xrayed and sent in to OFA. Additionally, eyes need to be checked by an ophthalmologist, cleared, and sent to OFA to be posted publicly on the database. Additionally, because this breed has so many heart related issues popping up with SAS, murmurs, DCM, etc... you need to have her heart cleared by a cardiologist. And more and more frequently, stud owners or breeders are looking for echo clearances to be done for the hearts.

2. Let's say you have all those clearances done.... a potential stud owner who is very careful about where their boy's pedigree shows up will ask to see your dogs pedigree. If the dogs are too closely related, it should be a pass. If your girl has lines or dogs close behind which are concerning, it should be a pass. If a stud owner doesn't like your dog's breeder, it should be a pass. If your dog is backyard bred or comes from a petstore, it should be a pass. If your girl does not have full registration (viewing registration), it should ABSOLUTELY be a pass.

3. If your girl has full clearances, full registration, and comes from a good pedigree.... then your best bet is joining your local golden retriever club, attending shows, and keeping tabs on who and what is out there. Your best bet is viewing male specials at shows, and networking.

4. Btw, you should be looking to make sure a stud has full clearances and has MORE important things about him than pedigree. I know a lot of wide-eyed new breeders get stuck on big shiny pedigrees on studs to cover where they and their dogs lack, but you really SHOULD be looking for a stud who has a lot more to offer for your specific dog and where she lacks or what you are hoping to shore up. Picking any stud might give you ugly and short-lived puppies. Understand, there are lines who have a lot of issues and you could be opening a door to a lot of problems for yourself if you aren't careful.

5. Basically posting queries for studs or breeders to use dogs as studs on public forums is NOT the way to go about it. Because it advertises how green and out of the loop you are to prospective stud owners or breeders and that's usually a no-go.

·
Registered
16,394 Posts
Also, don't take it at all personally if a stud dog owner says no. We have to manage fairly to bitch owners, and be very mindful of a calendar that is a moving target since progesterone has a mind of its own. I personally have said a very regretful no to one of my favorite bitches/ programs in the whole country because my dog Dreamer had a prior commitment of longstanding and hey came in season within two days of each other. Logistics are mid boggling at times, and the stud dog owner has to be really responsible . My dog Mystic is turning 7, and was an Outstanding Sire at age four with a really good health clearance record and the loveliest temperament. I adore doing therapy work 2x a week with him, and I teach dog training classes most days of the week. The repro vet is 90 minutes each way. Because of that, I prefer natural breedings for him now or very, very special shipped ones. I will release frozen to programs I know and respect occasionally. For my dog HipHop, he works as a public access tested service dog and absolute love-affair heart dog for a dear friend who is an emergency room doctor. He goes everywhere with her, including work. She has an autistic child and her husband is a busy orthopedic surgeon. Again, I hesitate to pop HipHop out of his real life for a breeding uless it is plannned far ahead. HipHop was a pheom, an finished from 6-9 puppy, won a specialty at a year and is a GCH with lovely pedigree. He is very moderate at 7olbs, so people sometimes prefer him to my big dog Dreamer. It is just rare I can say yes without 3 months notice, and it hurts people's feelings bc they think I am saying no to them. Most often, if you have a titled, health tested girl with a lovely temperament, any "no" you receive is so, so not about you or your girl. When I say yes, I kill myself to get it done, which means many times I cant do last minute yessses :). Planinng ahead is key.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts