Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little fur baby, Thor, arrived home last Monday night. He is 9 weeks old now. He is very sweet and playful, and we LOVE him! It has been a crazy week, as this ended up being the one week during the summer brake when I had to go for instructional training daily, all day. My son (20) and my niece (13) stayed home with him alternatively, and we got through it.
House breaking has been a challenge, partly because I don't think they were able to keep up the necessary clockwork consistency in taking him out every 30 to 45 minutes. Particularly with my niece I'm just happy she kept him safe and feeling loved, and wouldn't dream of making her feel responsible for any accidents, which have been minimal any ways. I am not excessively worried, it has been only 6 days, and at least he is starting to walk directly to the door when I first take him out of his crate in the morning. He responds to his name 8 times out of 10 if he is not too distracted, has taken to his crate without complaining, and he is sleeping 6 hours straight at night. My hope is that this week when I will be home with him every day, we will make more progress towards training objectives.
My daughter (22) is coming home from new York tomorrow. She's staying for a few weeks, reportedly to spend time with us, but I suspect it is really more to spend time with Thor:) She has been very excited about him.
Already this forum has been super helpful, and I really want to say thank you! However I do expect to post many, many questions in the near future.
I have attempted to attach some pictures I managed to take with my phone during his first week at home. Hopefully they will come up.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Congratulations on Thor, what a cutie! I agree that this forum can be very helpful, so hopefully you can find the answers and support you might need for any questions that might come up during your adventure. As for the housebreaking, 9 weeks is just a baby & his bladder is still the size of a pea - so, it sounds like you're making really great progress (especially if he is already able to hold it for 6 hours). I've had 4 retrievers in my life and have found that if you can succeed at housebreaking somewhere between 12-16 weeks, you're doing well. I think I was pretty lucky with my current pup Lily as she was fully housebroken by 11 weeks (with not a single accident since), but I tried the bell-training method this time and she had it down within 3-4 days & she still uses now (at 6 months) to let me know she needs out. I've heard that crate training is supposed to be the best for housebreaking, but I've personally never gone that route. I tried with Lily for her first two weeks and it simply made both of us miserable (she is not a crate pup, nor a cone pup apparently).

Have fun! :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for you warm welcomes! It was a hot day here so I took the little guy to a nearby pond today and he swam like a pro! (with me, on leash of course). afterwords he rolled over on the dirt quite a bit so back home I gave him a bath, a good brushing and a thorough inspection. He's looking even fluffier and cuter right now. He ate his dinner and after a quick potty trip he collapsed in his favorite corner where he is now sound asleep.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts