Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it is just short of three weeks til our girl comes home and I dont think I can make it, Im going crazy obsessing! We have the added bonus of a live puppy cam and I cant stop watching, lol. We have almost been late to three activities in the past week because I cant tear myself away!!!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Start preparing now for your pup's arrival. Make a list of all the things you will need and then get those you may not already have. Talk with your family about the trials and tribulations of the pup. Discuss how you will divide up those chores such as middle of the nigh potty runs, frequent daily potty runs, feeding etc. If you have children talk to them about what their boundaries are with the puppy. Don't make the mistake of letting everyone have different rules for interacting with the puppy. Talk about not allowing anyone to let the puppy jump up on them no matter how cute it mat be as a puppy because as an adult it will not be so cute. Decide if you will let you puppy and full grown dog later on the furniture. Talk about where you will keep the puppy at night while you potty train him and later on once the pup is housebroken. Start thinking about a basic training class by investigating local options. Think about what food you will feed your pup. These things alone should make the next three weeks fly by and make you more confident when the big day arrives.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hoping the waiting goes quickly!!! We are in the home stretch, get to pick up our boy next Tuesday!!! I know how you feel, I've been addicted to the computer looking for new pics of the pups every day!!!

·
Mercy Miracle (M&M)
5,097 Posts
Aw man! I know the feeling. It feels like I have been waiting forever! It has been a long journey for me. I have always wanted a Golden for most of my life. Finally, the wait will come to an end next week. Hang in there buddy!

·
Mercy Miracle (M&M)
5,097 Posts
Hoping the waiting goes quickly!!! We are in the home stretch, get to pick up our boy next Tuesday!!! I know how you feel, I've been addicted to the computer looking for new pics of the pups every day!!!
Me too! We bring Mercy home next Friday.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I definitely know what you mean!! The wait is so hard, but the puppy cam helps! I am so glad I had that when B was growing up because he was 6 hours away and I couldn't go visit while in school.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know how you feel too! It feels like you wait forever, but believe me, time flies, I get to pick up my new girl tomorrow! Busy yourself with preparing and it will be here sooner than you know it. I loved my breeder's puppy cam too!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I can relate totally, I put a deposit down and had to wailt 6 weeks to see if there were any boys then 8 more weeks till my Golden boy was ready for pick-up. My breeder had a puppy cam also. I would check in 2=4 times a day :)

What i learned was that it took more to be ready than I thought. I had all the junk you could buy from the store but once I got hime home I figured out a few things. One crate is not enough, I figured out I wanted an outside pen inside the fenced back yard, and if you don't want to keep him tied to you you need a room that is blocked off or at least a crate in the TV room

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well since we already have our Maple girl we were already dog ready but we have spent the last few months getting the kids puppy ready, puppy proofing the kids rooms which we didnt have the first time around, we already have the crates set up in the kitchen and the bedroom, hubby has two chores to do next week when he gets home, a gate for the hall so that the kids can go play with their teeny tiny toys in their rooms safely out of reach of the puppy and a new bottom board for the back gate since the ground seems to have shifted a bit and their is a bit more space at the bottom then their used to be. Of course we have already bought about twenty new puppy toys a very pink cuddly puppy bed that will last maybe a couple months but my daughter loved it lol and a pink and brown plaid crate bed for the smaller crate that will also only be big enough for a few months! Its hard to say no to my excited kids! I think Maple had maybe one pink toy But Miss Acadia is all girled up for sure! lol She will eat raw the same as Maple, same rules for furniture which mean we dont have any lol, crate trained just like Maple, already signed up for puppy classes which doesnt have a firmed up start date yet, my girls are already starting to help scoop which is awesome!!!! lol They have been practicing training with Maple which is fine by her, she loves the treats, I told them it wont be as easy with the new puppy, we had a friends puppy come stay for the weekend which was great practice for them, I highly recommend that to people with little kids. I will have the brunt of the night time trips at first except for when hubby is home we will all do it during the day and hoepfully it all goes well, I have a feeling it will be really different with kids this time instead of it being just me and hubby when he was home last time, just not sure if it is a good different or a scary different lol. Just wish I was close enough for a puppy visit!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am envious of everyone who is counting down the days to their "gotcha day"! Can I ask for some advice? I contacted a breeder (via email) in February that I heard about from a friend. They told me a litter was expected around St. Patricks Day and that I should fill out their questionnaire and send a deposit. I did that immediately and then emailed a few days later to see if they received my check. They responded and said that they only accepted deposits from a limited number of people and that others were on a waiting list. We were included in the "deposit" group. Since that time we have emailed back and forth .... me asking about the Momma and them giving me updates. Then, last week I received the "Puppies are here!" email with pictures of Momma and the pups. I am so excited but have realized that they have never really said - You are getting one of the pups. There are only 6 pups and I was told that the 2 males were reserved so that only leaves 4.
I don't want to be pushy or rude but I just need to know. Some of my friends have said " of course you are getting a puppy, why would they send you an email and pictures if you aren't?"I have even bought some puppy toys already!=) I just am not sure what protocol is and whether I should contact them or just wait for them to contact me. Any advice?

·
Chester's Mommy
2,688 Posts
I think those 8 weeks waiting until our Chester came home was the longest 8 weeks of our lives. And then all of a sudden, he turned 2 just a few days ago.

I hope those 3 weeks go by quickly for you!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I am envious of everyone who is counting down the days to their "gotcha day"! Can I ask for some advice? I contacted a breeder (via email) in February that I heard about from a friend. They told me a litter was expected around St. Patricks Day and that I should fill out their questionnaire and send a deposit. I did that immediately and then emailed a few days later to see if they received my check. They responded and said that they only accepted deposits from a limited number of people and that others were on a waiting list. We were included in the "deposit" group. Since that time we have emailed back and forth .... me asking about the Momma and them giving me updates. Then, last week I received the "Puppies are here!" email with pictures of Momma and the pups. I am so excited but have realized that they have never really said - You are getting one of the pups. There are only 6 pups and I was told that the 2 males were reserved so that only leaves 4.
I don't want to be pushy or rude but I just need to know. Some of my friends have said " of course you are getting a puppy, why would they send you an email and pictures if you aren't?"I have even bought some puppy toys already!=) I just am not sure what protocol is and whether I should contact them or just wait for them to contact me. Any advice?
I think you could just be honest. I would contact the breeder and say I know you only took x number of deposits for the puppies and I'm wondering where I fall in there?

·
Mercy Miracle (M&M)
5,097 Posts
I know how you feel! Lyla comes home April 3rd, so a week and 4 days to go! It seems like this last stretch is going by much slower than the earlier weeks!
Same here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts