Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came back from the park a few minutes ago and I've been practising the come command with whistle a lot (my voice that is, I still haven't bought a silent dog whistle..) At first I did it in the house.. I whistled, she came, I gave her a little piece of hot dog (Yummy!) I did that 5 times then we went to the park! Again, with the long leash, I whistled she came running and I gave her her treat! :) Next I was waiting for her to get a little more distracted and when I saw that she was running around smelling the ground I whistled, she looked up, came running and sat right infront of me! :bowl:

Now, I tried and took off the leash and made her sit and stay then I backed away and whistled, she came and sit! After that I let her run free, we played fetch a little and we were running around and I let her chew on a stick.. I whistled and SHE CAME! :D I was so happy I gave her 2 pieces of hot dog and I was like '' OMG Molly! You're such a good girl! Yaaaay!! Bravoo!" I probably looked really crazy! :curtain: :p:

I just had to share my happiness with you guys!

Oh and I have a little question.. Do I keep giving her treats? Or at some point I should stop and give her some just from time to time?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Oh my gosh - that is a happy training session. I wish Monty would respond like that to the recall. I am working with a professional trainer on this. He says that the recall is the hardest command for them to consistently comply with. He recommends waiting until they are 100% compliant for months before taking the treat away. As an aside, he does recommend weaning them from the treats for other, simplier commands like sit and down.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh my gosh - that is a happy training session. I wish Monty would respond like that to the recall. I am working with a professional trainer on this. He says that the recall is the hardest command for them to consistently comply with. He recommends waiting until they are 100% compliant for months before taking the treat away. As an aside, he does recommend weaning them from the treats for other, simplier commands like sit and down.
Thank you for your reply! Maybe you should try the whistle to? I think it's much much easier to teach 'come' with the whistle! Like golden&hovawart said, there's no emotion in your voice, no anger or impatience nothing! So I think the dog gets it even faster!

Now, even though we still need lots and lots of training sessions, Molly understands whistle means 'TREAT! Come right now!' And when I say 'Come here' It means stay close! :)

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I would keep doing the hot dog for a couple of months just to keep working on the recall and soon you wont need them. Way to go Molly, keep up the good work!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts