Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had snow today... Not much and I had a previously arranged walk with Lucky Penny at the local recreation area.
We co own Tiki's daughter, Luna, and it is always good to see them. I have previously told Lauren(Lucky Penny) that I do not do ice. But I figured, not much snow cover no big deal. Ha! I brought ****(whom I have since forgiven for vomiting all over my car's center console last week), Basil, and Tiki.... Even though everyone in this family including my disabled son skate, I do not. So we were having a lovely walk and the dogs had met some nice Nordic skiers... Then I fell because the ice was not visible beneath the snow... Fell on my fat derrière and hit my head so hard it resounded in my brain. Came home and iced it for more than two hours. The swelling has gone down and somewhat dissipated...and of course my entire family is at a hockey tournament in RI. Fortunately, I have my empathy dogs, Mantha, George , and ****. When I got home, Georgie wouldn't even go out to do his business as he sensed how upset I was. Moral of the story is that old ladies should not walk in snow.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After the initial, ouch and then the subsequent ouch feeling sorry for myself , all by myself(except for the six dogs), the bruise will heal. Thirty years ago, I fell down my apt steps that were icy when I lived in Ky and cut my chin.. I had to have sutures and I have been phobic ever since.

·
Kristy
9,798 Posts
We moved to Pennsylvania from Florida when I was in high school (yes it was traumatic and yes I punished my parents, I was awful) and I can remember slipping on ice in the parking lot of my high school between classes that first winter and just being mortified. And darn it hurt. Baptism by fire. I'm extremely careful with ice now...

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I am glad to hear you are feeling a bit better! We will have to postpone walks until spring....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yep , you need some ice cleats for your shoes. They have them everywhere up here and are relativly inexpensive (about $15 for a pair at Wal-Mart) , not sure if you can easily find them there??? I have found that a small amount of snow on ice is deceptivly WORSE! You can not see the ice and the snow can fill in the crack and groves in the ice and make it even slicker :( Be safe, heal fast :)

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Goldensrbest, when we went with Bowdense for the walk in Vaughan Woods, I would've bailed had it been icy inside. I enjoyed that walk and would love to repeat it...IN THE SPRING! I do have those cleat things, but the snow was fresh and I don't thnk it would've helped for my slippage.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
I know I don't bounce back from falls like I used to...and gosh darn it, ice and frozen ground hurts like heck! Hope you're feeling better soon.

Reactions: Sally's Mom

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oaklys Dad, I never had reflexes!!!

·
Kate
21,672 Posts
I'm glad you are OK. o_O

*shudders* I'm phobic about falling back and hitting my head. It happened once. No injury or blood, but still traumatic. Really - I'm glad you aren't hurt. :(

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fortunately, my dogs don't need exercise beyond what they chose to do in the yard.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I am glad you are alright! Ice is dangerous even for us young folks. Virginia Tech won't even cancel classes unless everyone is falling on the ice all over the sidewalks (which I have done on numerous occasions).

Reactions: Sally's Mom

·
Poppy's mom
224 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok and that Georgie was there for you. I think Goldens were named after their heart and not their colour, don't you?
Take care now.
MJ

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have six of these guys, but Georgie has always been the one to comfort me first...and at eight weeks, he fell in love with my son with autism, so he has a big part of my heart.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Ow!! That hurts so much...I hate ice! But, you are certainly not an old lady!! Because if you are, I am... and I'm not ready to be old:eek:. I might invest in a pair of those cleats though. I walk the dogs twice a day and I've had some pretty close calls. I am glad you are feeling better.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts